Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I got a phone call late Thursday evening asking if I could be at the Port of Alabama early Friday morning for some emergency umbilical work. A real last minute deal to say the least. When I arrived yesterday morning and made the long and dreadful walk up the gang way, there it sat. I was shocked. My heart raced and my breath was short. I could not believe it. I walked straight over to it. A direct fired Lonestar offset smoker. Guess who is cooking at work tomorrow! 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    You're right! Your crew is very lucky you're cooking for them 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    You're right! Your crew is very lucky you're cooking for them 
    Hope that I don't disappoint them my friend. The Captain has agreed to buy steaks and ribs. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You're a smoker nerd.... ;)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    "Will work for food" 

seriously
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SGH
    Options
    henapple said:
    You're a smoker nerd.... ;)
    There is a hint of truth in the above statement Uncle Apple. For the record, when I first saw it sitting there, I almost "grumpied" in my pants  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    Awesome..Everyone is in for a treat..Enjoy your weekend..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    "Will work for food" 

That^^^^^^has been my motto for years ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I like the handles. They look like you mean business , don't mess with the pit master
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @SGH Cooking lunch and dinner?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    I've gotta ask , what is "emergency umbilical work" ? 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    They are in for a real treat.  I couldn't think of a better man for the job.  Nice find, SGH. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    Options
    Aussie said:
    Umbilcals supply air, hydraulic and or power to FLETS and PLETS that are laying on the sea bed. They are what brings everything to life in a subsea system. While spooling, AKER pulled one in half. Thus the emergency. 

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    SGH said:
    Aussie said:
    Umbilcals supply air, hydraulic and or power to FLETS and PLETS that are laying on the sea bed. They are what brings everything to life in a subsea system. While spooling, AKER pulled one in half. Thus the emergency. 
    Aussie you are now up to speed mate..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    Aussie said:
    Here is a pic that will give you the general idea.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is this an egg forum or a BP forum?....anyway.. how about all that crap in Baltimore? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,184
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Aussie said:

I think I saw that in the James Bond movie Octapussy.

Btw that smoker looks pretty cool and broken in.  Look fwd to pics of the cook tomorrow.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day all day.  The axe handles are totally sick!  Friggen love it brotha!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    henapple said:
    Is this an egg forum or a BP forum?....anyway.. how about all that crap in Baltimore? 
    Haven't worked for British Petroleum since the late 90's. Been more of a Exxon/MOBIL and Noble energy kind of guy. Now as far as Baltimore. Well the more that I think about it, I feel that I should probably just remain silent on the matter Uncle Apple. Anything that I might say would be automatically took out of context by some. But with that said, I feel that you probably have a good idea of what I think and how I feel.

Status- Standing by.

• ksmyrl
    Options
    @sgh. Thanks for the visual. I don't think many folks realize what happens "behind the scenes" is what keeps us running. You go dude. And I hope you have a safe and somewhat enjoyable time. 

• SGH
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day all day.  The axe handles are totally sick!  Friggen love it brotha!
    I really liked the ax handles as well. Thought that it was really cool. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    Options
    SGH said:
    Aussie said:
    We did some HVAC work for Aker down there last year. Good folks.  
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Aussie said:
    We did some HVAC work for Aker down there last year. Good folks.  
    We're you at the Theodoore facility? 

Status- Standing by.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    SGH said:
    Aussie said:

You are a diver?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    Options
    Yes. Hard to believe they made those guys work in those buildings with no AC. Miserable during the summer....
  • SGH
    Options
    You are a diver?
    No sir. Quality Manager. 

Status- Standing by.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    SGH said:
    You are a diver?
    No sir. Quality Manager. 
    I have no idea what that means, but I feel less inadequate.  I thought you might be sort of Dirk Pitt with a Doxa watch and a big knife.  Me,  I produce reams of paper and calluses on my butt.  Your life sounds much more interesting.  Give us pics of the cook on that monster pit.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Your reputation precedes you, Scotty. Sounds like everyone on board is in for a treat.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SGH
    Options
    Your reputation precedes you, Scotty. Sounds like everyone on board is in for a treat.
    You are to kind my friend. Sure hope that I don't disappoint them. 

Status- Standing by.

• ksmyrl
    Options
    SGH said:
    You are a diver?
    No sir. Quality Manager. 
    I have no idea what that means, but I feel less inadequate.  I thought you might be sort of Dirk Pitt with a Doxa watch and a big knife.  Me,  I produce reams of paper and calluses on my butt.  Your life sounds much more interesting.  Give us pics of the cook on that monster pit.
    Dirk Pitt. Lol...love me some Clive Cussler. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,184
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So do you stamp this once the job is complete?

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin