Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Stoker wait begins

Options
Pulled the trigger Thursday and ordered the Stoker with an additional food probe after reading all the reviews on this site. Happy to join the cool club. Now I wait. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• HostileHarry
    Options
    I'm in exact same boat. Ordered on Thursday as well. I'll let you know if I hear anything 
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Ordered mine on the 12th Arrival date is this coming Monday...already downloaded Pit Pal on my Android and IPad 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    Was thinking about building the watertight box this weekend but not sure what size I should buy. Any suggestions? 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have mine in a Pelican Case #1400, the interior dimensions are 11.8" L x 8.8" W x 5.2" H. The Stoker itself is 5.5" W x 5.5"L x 2"H, with probes in front and back you need 7.5" L.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I just placed an order just now. Now I need to do some homework on this wifi stuff.  No idea how to "port forward" or create a "static IP" or any of that. I feel a headache coming on.
  • Blassiter
    Options
    @stompbox, docs on Rocks website are excellent.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Blassiter
    Options
    Thanks Fireman_Joe!

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• stompbox
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    @stompbox, docs on Rocks website are excellent.

I just DL'd them and took a look.

I also took at the review in the Naked Wiz and it looks like my screen is similar to that one so I will probably try to use both at the same time.  They have lots of screen caps that show exactly where to do things. Looks very helpful.

• HostileHarry
    Options
    I have mine in a Pelican Case #1400, the interior dimensions are 11.8" L x 8.8" W x 5.2" H. The Stoker itself is 5.5" W x 5.5"L x 2"H, with probes in front and back you need 7.5" L.
    Thanks for this Joe! I too was going to figure out how to keep the Chicago rain off this thing. I might just go this path as well.

Chicago, IL
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    @Fireman_Joe How do you feed the cables out of the Pelican? Is there a cable port out the front of the case near the handle?

Chicago, IL
  • Fireman_Joe
    edited March 2015
    Options
    On the front of the case is a removal name plate piece, I have a couple of holes drilled out behind it to run the cables out, when not using cables are in box and I slide the name plate back in.

FYI: You can get away with a smaller box but I store the stoker which is mounted on the U shape bracket that I got from Rocks BBQ, 2-Grid Probes, 3-Food Probes, 2-Fans, power unit, and my thermapen. I also taped a heating chart from Amazing Ribs in the lid of the box just in case I forgot what temperatures I need to cook things at. Old age getting to me ! LOL
    Gambrills,Maryland

• HostileHarry
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I just placed an order just now. Now I need to do some homework on this wifi stuff.  No idea how to "port forward" or create a "static IP" or any of that. I feel a headache coming on.
    I'm reading through the Doc for setup and I'm laughing. They did a job explaining DHCP/Static routing, etc. I would love to see them explain setting up IPV6 and separating the Voice & Data VLAN and applying QoS across the LAN back to the MPLS Cloud PE ;) (For any networking geeks out there).

Chicago, IL
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
    I will take a couple of pictures of the box when I get home in a couple of hours.

Gambrills,Maryland

• HostileHarry
    Options
    I will take a couple of pictures of the box when I get home in a couple of hours.

Awesome. I see your in FL and I was wondering how much heat does the Stoker generate? Any concerns with running the Stoker with the Pelican closed down?

Chicago, IL
  • Fireman_Joe
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Never had a heat issue with it so far, never really thought about this HostileHarry. Next long cook I will keep one of the food probes in the box and see what it records. I never snap the lid shut on the case and never had any water get inside case from the five holes on the front or the lid not snapped shut.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Welcome to the dark side.

I was making a brisket last night with my brother-in-law and my young nephew.  He was watching me add the lump, get it started, add the oak chunks, etc.

I got to a point, though, where I told him, "Everything you have seen up to this point is how any self respecting Texan would go about smoking a brisket.  But, what I'm about to do is the lowest, dirtiest, cheatin'est thing in the world." and I proceeded to hook up my Stoker.

I bought mine about 8 years ago the second time my fire went out doing an overnight pork butt when it was <20 deg outside.  While better cooks than me can manage it, relighting a fire in the middle of the night when it is snowing on you isn't a bucket of laughs.

I haven't switched over to WiFi, however.  A man has to draw the line somewhere.

Enjoy!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
  • Fireman_Joe
    Options
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    Ahh so you cut out a few of those holes and removed all the foam. nice setup.

Chicago, IL
  • Fireman_Joe
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I ordered 2 cases without the foam, saved a couple of bucks. Missing in the picture is one additional fan and 3 probes as they are in use by my son.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Blassiter
    Options
    @fireman_joe, how is the wifi reception with box closed?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Fireman_Joe
    Options
    No problem with it closed
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Blassiter
    Options
    Really like that box. May have to attempt something similar. Thanks!

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Blassiter
    Options

@hostileharry or @stompbox, you hear anything yet about your Stoker shipping?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• stompbox
    Options
    No. But, I just ordered on Saturday so I did not expect to hear anything yet.  Particularly when they are still running the sale.

• lkapigian
    Options
    stompbox said:
    No. But, I just ordered on Saturday so I did not expect to hear anything yet.  Particularly when they are still running the sale.

I think they are getting caught up, mine came a couple days before schedule 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

@stompbox    What worked for me is a DHCP reservation by MAC address.   I simply went to my router config and reserved an ip for my stoker based its MAC address.   When my router sees my stoker's MAC address, it automatically assigns the reserved ip.  When to stoker is offline, my router doesn't assign the IP address and keeps it in reserve.  The stoker doesn't know different as dhcp is handing out the ip as usual....it just gives the stoker the same one each time.  Therefore I didn't need any extra config on the Stoker side.  As for port forwarding, again, in the router config you simply tell it to route this type of traffic to this specific ip.  Varies a bit by router but the concept is the same.  Lastly, you can then use a DNS service and create an alias to get to your stoker.  "Joe BGE at my domain.com" as an example.  This is handy as over time your ISP will change your modem's IP address.  So, unless you always know what this is, you may not be able to connect to your stoker.  The DNS resolves your name to the modem's ip and through a little service running on your Mac/PC, keeps your ip in sync.   Sounds like a lot but it really isn't too bad.  Hope this helps. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • lkapigian
    Options
    4Runner said:

@stompbox    What worked for me is a DHCP reservation by MAC address.   I simply went to my router config and reserved an ip for my stoker based its MAC address.   When my router sees my stoker's MAC address, it automatically assigns the reserved ip.  When to stoker is offline, my router doesn't assign the IP address and keeps it in reserve.  The stoker doesn't know different as dhcp is handing out the ip as usual....it just gives the stoker the same one each time.  Therefore I didn't need any extra config on the Stoker side.  As for port forwarding, again, in the router config you simply tell it to route this type of traffic to this specific ip.  Varies a bit by router but the concept is the same.  Lastly, you can then use a DNS service and create an alias to get to your stoker.  "Joe BGE at my domain.com" as an example.  This is handy as over time your ISP will change your modem's IP address.  So, unless you always know what this is, you may not be able to connect to your stoker.  The DNS resolves your name to the modem's ip and through a little service running on your Mac/PC, keeps your ip in sync.   Sounds like a lot but it really isn't too bad.  Hope this helps. 
    You lost me at DHCP =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    Blassiter said:

@hostileharry or @stompbox, you hear anything yet about your Stoker shipping?

Order remains 'in process' status. 

Chicago, IL