Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duke Mayonnaise Ribs. Inspired by RRP.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Running a little late again today due to work. I have been seeing all the Duke Mayonnaise posts lately and thought why not. Skinned some BB's and coated with the Dukes and then salt, pepper and cayenne. Going to run them at 225 degrees over heavy oak and pecan until done. Note: I usually use cold clear well water as my binder. Thought I would try the Dukes just as a comparison to my water technique. Here she goes.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Good luck! That's a LOT more mayo than I ever put on! The way I smear on is thin and say if I was smearing it on a newspaper I could still read most of the print!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Most of fat in the mayo will render out, and it will probably take some of the seasoning with it. 
    Options
    Whew ... glad Ron spoke up.  "If a little is good, then a lot is better" was my mistake on the rack of pork from Costco cook.  The mayo was put on about as thick as on your ribs Scott  ... and some of it was still there after the cook.

@Ron ... I'll be practicing reading the newspaper through Duke Mayo for the next few days to get it right.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I would expect a southerner to lay it on thicker than the northerners. :D
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options
    Most of fat in the mayo will render out, and it will probably take some of the seasoning with it. 
    Brother I resprinkle with cayenne every 30 minutes or so. Should be ok. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Tell'em brother ;)

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Can't get dukes here. Checked walmart and wegmans. According to the dukes website both of those stores should carry it in pennsylvania. Next I check giant
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Can't get dukes here. Checked walmart and wegmans. According to the dukes website both of those stores should carry it in pennsylvania. Next I check giant
    According to their website, every name store in my area should carry it. However they do not. I found it at all places Hoggly Woggly, or Piggly Wiggly as it is better known as.

Status- Standing by.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    That's a given, but I thought we were talking about mayo!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    grege345 said:
    When using mayo in this fashion I'm not sure that most of us could tell the taste of Duke's from Kraft to Hellman's. My only thought is since Duke's has no sugar and is a vinegar base then it works better on pork grilled this way - but that's just my opinion!
  • RRP
    Options

@Ron ... I'll be practicing reading the newspaper through Duke Mayo for the next few days to get it right.
    well - you still shouldn't believe everything you read in our fish wrapper even with Duke's making it all pretty and clean! 
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    grege345 said:
    When using mayo in this fashion I'm not sure that most of us could tell the taste of Duke's from Kraft to Hellman's. My only thought is since Duke's has no sugar and is a vinegar base then it works better on pork grilled this way - but that's just my opinion!
    We are testing that theory now my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I think you missed a spot with the mayo :D And I personally would stay away from the cloudy well water too.

I kid. Waiting for the done pics.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    if you have an Aldi try their brand..Burmans. I was raised on Dukes would not even think of trying anything else until Burmans..I am convinced it is made by Dukes
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, man. My laugh for the day (week?) And some around here are (much) worse than others!  =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    Time to eat.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I did some BB's with Hellmans and yardbird and they kicked a$$
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you can't taste mustard after a low and slow, how the hell are you gonna taste the difference between Miracle Whip and Dukes?  A: You're not.

Looks good....so....how'd it taste?  Did too much mayo stick on it or did it render off?
    Options
    I just wanted to try dukes with a potato salad but maybe I should have been more specific
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Oh my...those look killer.
    I lather my turkeys with mayo bag it and cook at 250 all night in the oven....10-12 hrs..let it rest for 1.5 hrs..dont open the bag.....mom's recipe..dinomiiiite!
    Spatchcock turkey for Chrismas with a.mayo lather too..Smoked

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• SGH
    Options
    Looks good....so....how'd it taste?  Did too much mayo stick on it or did it render off?
    Brother I could not tell any difference at all. Mustard, mayonnaise or well water, they taste identical to me. The ribs were fantastic, but no different.

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Thanks, man. My laugh for the day (week?) And some around here are (much) worse than others!  =))

I kid mostly... I do like Duke's, but I also like others also. Kraft is pretty good.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hellman's mayo is the best.  We've tried thousands of different brands from all corners of the earth...millions of test cooks.  Some mayos from remote corners of the savanna, war-torn areas or rain forest were tough to acquire.  Consumed many Olympic swimming pools of the stuff.  Hellman's.
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother I could not tell any difference at all. Mustard, mayonnaise or well water, they taste identical to me. The ribs were fantastic, but no different.
    What's the answer to the question, the more you put on the more sticks to it after cooking?  Or does it melt off.
    Options
    Why not put the seasoning on before the mayo?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    What's the answer to the question, the more you put on the more sticks to it after cooking?  Or does it melt off.
    It melts right off.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Why not put the seasoning on before the mayo?
    I normally just dampen them with water and then rub them down. I just wanted to try the mayonnaise. 

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Those look killer @sgh. This is kinda like Myth Busters. What was you final verdict on the mayo? If you already said I apologize for missing it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    A small piece of carrot cake for dessert.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:

Scott, those ribs looked delicious! You say you can get that very same crust using water?