Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I f'ed with it, and f'ed with it, and f'ed with it but now it's all good (for$125)

Options
I have had a serious underbite on my 9 year old egg for 2 years or more. No matter what I tried, it seemed to just get worse. I watched all the videos, listened to all the forum experts, made **** up and tried that but nothing worked. It got so bad that I could have my draft door and daisy shut down and temps would still run away. I noticed that my bands were twisted a little in the back ( from over-torquing), the big bolts were really bent more than normal, and the 2 ends of the band were almost smashed together when i tightened them down. It all just seemed super pliable- like you couldn't tighten it enough and everything was really bendy and stretchy. Any time I loosened them up and tried to realign, it All looked great until the last bolt I would tighten. So frustrating- I would have it all lined up and then the last bolt I would tighten (no matter which one) would pull the dome back so much it almost made the egg non-functional. We have a big catering event for (200) coming up in 2 weeks and needed both eggs to be fully functional so as a last resort I went to the shop today and bought a new set of bands. $125 and 30 minutes later my old egg is now dead centered and actually in better shape than my Salado egg, which has been getting most of the work since I got it in march. After I took my old bands off, they were so pliable I can't believe they were holding my egg together. I could bend them easily with my hands. Soooo....if your egg is older, has an underbite you can't fix- you might drop the $125 for new bands. Carry on- Tex
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌, the warranty doesn't cover bands?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Awesome! Now here is the question, could this have been covered under warranty? This is assuming someone wanted to fuss with it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bands are like 1 year or something like that. The big warranty is on the ceramics. Either way, I got 9 yrs out of them so I'm good. Wish I would have done it 2 yrs ago.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Ah makes sense. Good **** either way! Grats
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Ah makes sense. Good **** either way! Grats

feels like a new egg. I'm fired up about it.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Definitely good advice for those with the alignment problem.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Glad you got it fixed brother Tex. Now wear it out!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Don't go unlovin' curry egg just because the older one had some dental work done.

Good to know though. I've had an underbite forever and have been tempted to mess with it, but I can hold steady temps, etc. so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Hey I just thought of something - could that major underbite have been the reason why you had a suboptimal experience with the Smokeware cap?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Don't go unlovin' curry egg just because the older one had some dental work done. Good to know though. I've had an underbite forever and have been tempted to mess with it, but I can hold steady temps, etc. so I'm going to leave it alone for now. Hey I just thought of something - could that major underbite have been the reason why you had a suboptimal experience with the Smokeware cap?

and my cyber q too. Dangit Caliking- I think you nailed it. I'm ordering a new cap tomorrow and I'll play with the cyber q again when it's back off loan in a few weeks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The dominoes are falling into place. 
    Options
    Glad you got it fixed. Thx for sharing. Good to know. And since the question about warranty on the bands came up, I was curious and checked. Here's the info from the BGE warranty page:

METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, dual function metal top, cooking grid, fire grate and draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Warranty to the original purchaser.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mines 2 years older and eventually did the same thing. are the handles welded to the bands or bolted, the ones that were welded were made in mexico and bge was replacing all those bands behind the scenes regardless of warranty periods. mine eventually had the underbite then a year later it locked up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Good deal, glad your problem got fixed, here's to f'ing with it !
    =D>
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Interesting advice and observation - did you torque the bolts of just tighten till they bend?
    I wonder if over torqued, which is easy to do unless using a torque wrench, deforms and causes the underbite? 
    After nine years the pliability shouldn't be that different for bands in good shape (no rust) - maybe the new bands are a different steel. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ehummelman
    Options
    I have only had my Large since February, but just had to get new bands for the same reason.  Luckily I live about 5 minutes from the mothership.  They gave me a new setup no cost, no questions asked.  As for the torque, they said that mine might have gotten tweaked because I didn't tighten them enough and after repeated opening and closing they loosened just enough to distort.  Funny thing is that I used a torque wrench when I assembled it and followed the directions to a T.  They told me to just tighten the bands until the ends touch and that the bolts should be bent quite a bit. They said that the bent bolts actually keep the bands from loosening.  Now why can't they just tell you that in the instructions?