Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
Good day folks,
cooking a 14lb brisket, started it off at midnight and the temperature went from 44 to 137 in two hours. Have cooked it at 225 steady with the digit q2. Checked it at 6am and it was at 155, now its 1pm and its still at 162. I know the stall is long, but this is getting way out of hand. Should I wrap it? What should i do? 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That kind of depends. If you are not pressed for time just keep on cooking. However if you are pressed for time wrapping will certainly speed things a long. I prefer not to wrap personally, but that's just me. If you are needing to serve it soon then by all means wrap it. Other wise just let it ride.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mohashim
    Options
    gotta serve it in 3 hours.
  • SGH
    Options
    Wrap it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mohashim
    Options
    thanks!!! I'm on it!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I usually cook my briskets at 250 to 265, because at 225 it can take longer than I want. Good luck. If you foiled it, I would take it up to 250 maybe 275 to get to 195-205 internal temp in time to eat.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@mohashim May want to bump up the cooking temp to 275-300. You should be on the back side of the stall. I am a low and slow guy. The stall is where the magic happens. Once out, raising the cooking temp some will speed it up. Then check for doneness, probe the brisket for a "Pushing in Butter Feel". Some are good as low as 185 and others up to 205.

Good luck and slice across the grain. Thin if a little chewy. thick if falling apart.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @mohashim-Some lessons learned here-225 grid or dome will mean a protracted cook.  And likely in the 1.5-2 hrs/lb range.  Many run around 250-270 on the dome and that takes it to somewhere in the 1 1/4 -1 1/2 hrs/lb.  That said, each hunk is different and may come in earlier or later.  So, what to do?
    Run a bit hotter and give yourself some finish-line room.  FTC (foil, warmed towels and cooler) will enable you to hold any big hunk of meat (brisket, chuckies, butts) for at least 4 to 7 hours after the finish-line without getting to the below 140*F nervous temp.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Enjoy the eats-and personal preference-enjoy the point-no burnt ends.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    Just some friendly advice. You certainly can bump the temp. I have bumped it in excess of 375 once wrapped. But know this. The higher the temp the faster the window of opportunity closes on catching your brisket where you want it. If you are not familiar with cooking them at high temps I would recommend staying sub-300. Just thought I would share.

Status- Standing by.

• mohashim
    Options
    wow, thanks for all the great tips @sgh @Ladeback69 @Hotch @lousubcap Really really appreciate it! I just wrapped it, have kept it at 225 and it seems to be rising about a degree every 5-7 minutes. So I'll let it ride out for an hour like this and see if I need to ramp it up. My guests just called and said they'll be here late. phew. So I think I have about 4 hours from now to finish. 

I did a very similar weight brisket a few weeks ago and I cooked that one steady at 225 and it was done just under 12 hours, so I was expecting it to be a bit more than that but its been 14 hours already and its only at 170 now. this brisket business is impossible to predict it seems. 

Thanks for the tips though, really helps ease the mind. :)
  • SGH
    Options
    Always glad to offer what I can my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Your welcome and I to am glad to help when I can. Briskets can be a challenge. I try to myself a couple hours window if I can. I ftc'd one for 5 hours and it was still to hot to touch when I cut it. Save some of the juice to pore of it after you cut it to keep it moist. It has worked for me. Looking forward to seeing the final results.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @mohashim-Thanks for the feedback.  For the record there are too many here who want the "help" and then fade to black without any acknowledgment of whether it worked or not. Common courtesy is  not strong suit.  Stopping the rant right now!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me! Glad you nailed it. =D>

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You sure did
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    Options
    Dang-most eggcellent.  A home-run for sure.  Mighty fine eats.  Glad it turned out-always an adventure.