Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Newbie here

Options

Hi all!

I just got my BGE today! It's a medium sized one and I still need to put it together. We currently have a duo propane/charcoal grill which I expect we will still use at times (sides/company/etc)... but I am very excited to start grilling on the egg!

I am thinking of starting off with some chicken breasts just to get a feel for it... but I am looking forward to making some killer pizzas in the future :)

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Welcome and always remember one can never have too many eggs. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    Welcome aboard
  • TifffanyD
    TifffanyD Posts: 119
    Options
    I don't know if I ever would have bought one since I am not very adept at grilling... luckily I won this one and now I have researched and seen what this baby can do! :)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Just for the record the egg makes a killer ribeye. Just saying brother. Something to think about for that inaugural cook!! Again welcome and I look forward to seeing your egg in action.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a great ceramic cooking info site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Chances are you can find most answers in the site somewhere.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard sister!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Tiffany, congrats on your win and your new egg. first of all dont get too attached to that gasser because i promise its not gonna get much use from here on out. Second, i would try a side by side with vege and chicken and beef with the egg and the gasser. And finally for your first cook i would do either thighs or a whole chicken split down the backbone and flattened out--spatchcocked. Just trust us on this. You will not, i repeat NOT, regret the decision. On the other hand ribeye. Works
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Welcome. to the cult, Super Newbie.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    BTW.... I love boneless chicken breast on the egg. We do them quite often.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome aboard sister.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    And another thing the egg can do that no one has mentioned yet is give you a good eyebrow wax if you forget to burp it on a high heat cook :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @sgh I think its "sister" in this case.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I gave my gasser away and the old charcoal grill is now used to wood chunk storage. 

You will love it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome - always room for another MBGE owner. 

If you like souvlaki - try your chicken breasts on a stick. Easy grill on the fire ring with a dome of 375-425º. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    TifffanyD said:
     We currently have a duo propane/charcoal grill which I expect we will still use at times
    Don't be so sure about that.  Once you spend a little time with your egg, I think you may rethink that.
    NOLA
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Tiffany, since owning my egg, the gas grill has been used once.  In years.  Even now I can't recall why.  Welcome, and enjoy your egg.  Remember, when you return to inform us of your cooks, pics are mandatory.  No pics, it did not happen. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • TifffanyD
    Options

Thanks all - still working on putting it together. Husband was out last night so didn't get it done. Hoping to get it done tonight and get PLENTY of practice this weekend :)

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options

TifffanyD said:

Thanks all - still working on putting it together. Husband was out last night so didn't get it done. Hoping to get it done tonight and get PLENTY of practice this weekend :)

I put my own together as well. The instructions are OK but I suggest watching the videos too. It will help in the long run. Just go on YouTube and type in Green Egg Assembly
  • TifffanyD
    Options

Oh yeah I got to the video last night but didn't have the patience to watch it. I first need help getting it out of the nest so I can fix the doors (they were in the wrong order) and then put it back in. After that it should go swimmingly.

I am def going to try spatchcocked chicken early on. And maybe some meatballs. :)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the eggperience. I guess I'm spoiled, my was already put together and delevered to my house. Of course it was the only XL model they had and it was their floor model. All they had to do is put it in a nest. Mine replaced my gasser and I will never go back to it again. Good luck on assembly and enjoy the ride.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Welcome !! Enjoy the food !!
    Danville, Il
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Not just a newbie. But a super newbie. On a egg even chicken breasts will be awesome. Welcome to the group.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome. As I was told, this site and egging is addictive
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    Man, my last clinch stud snapped before I even got to torque. And the carriage bolts are already tightened (per instructions) and bent. Now what to I do?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Welcome to the Dark Side

Never to return again
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌TiffanyD
    I called you brother above out of force of habit. Absolutely no offense meant. In the future "sister" will be applied as appropriate. Again it was a honest mistake out of habit my friend. No harm or ill intent meant what so ever. My apologies ma'am.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    Actually, I have spent my whole married life trying to master a weber or a gasser with varying amounts of success......the purchase of the egg has really shown me exactly what I have been missing all these years.......the possibilities are endless, and the food is wonderful, even the mistakes......you're going to love it....
    Berlin, Maryland
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One of the first accessories you will want, if you don't already own one, is a good temp probe. Especially with chicken breasts- over cooking is easy to do and will ruin the meal. Personally I always pound chicken breasts as it eliminates the tougher outer layer. Plus they cook faster and for some reason I find them much more moist. Congrats on the egg- make sure you wait for the VOC's to burn off before putting meat on the grill. Remember if the smoke smells good your food will taste good.
    Greensboro, NC