Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another gasket dilemma

Options
I have the original felt gasket-- little wear--some sauce splatterings and such on a L BGE I have owned for 2.5 years. 2-3 times a month I may get up to temps around 700-750.
Couple times it got away from me and spiked to 1000 briefly.
Gaskets still there but I am wondering if I have air leakage as I seem to have more trouble making temp adjustments.
How do you tell if it's time to change?
I also have read many of the gasket threads, I realize that Rutland may be
the best but I have reservations.
If I chose not to use Rutland or Coltronics, what would be the next best high temp gasket to use?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌Larrymac
    If you chose to avoid the Rutland and the Coltronics your best bet would probably be Nomex. It is superior to the original gaskets .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    To test the current gasket, put a sheet of paper about the size of $1 bill between the dome and base, if the drag is the same all around, it is not the gasket. 
    I have a High-Q Nomex on a 2011 MBGE, still working just fine. When you replace, make sure the dome and base are aligned and the gasket does bot overhang on the inside. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Larrymac contact @RRP via PM he's the man. He'll set you up with a Rutland gasket at a price no one can beat. IMHO Rutland's they way to go. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    To attempt to address your initial question-"how do you tell if its time to change"; start with the dollar bill test; place a dollar bill between the dome and base-pull it out and you should get resistance everywhere you attempt all around; beyond that-can you control the temps you want (especially low&slow) and does the BGE shut down as you have previously noted?  Assess your info and then go from there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I'm a new BGE owner and was wondering the same. I broke in my gasket as they recommended with first three cooks under 350 degrees. My first high heat pizza cook I had some smoke escape at the back of the gasket that concerned me wondering if I got it too high too soon.......Also are you guys saying there are gasket companies other than ordering from the BGE company you feel are superior?, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ yes, many users do not use Big Green Egg gaskets. Many, including myself use Rutland wood stove gaskets. They are made out of fiberglass and graphite, I think, and are superior to the nomex or OEM gaskets offered by Big Green Egg. As for the gasket being shot, usually if smoke is pouring from the egg at the gasket then it is time for a new gasket. I went through 3 Big Green Egg gaskets before switching to a Rutland. I don't foresee the Rutland failing in the next 20 years or so.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    It only happened once when I did a high heat pizza cook........It better not be bad I've only used my egg around 8 times so far I'll be upset if it went bad that fast. It seems it was right at the seem where the two ends of the gasket meet and stopped during the cook. I'm using it for pizzas tonight and I'll see what happens, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I just checked and the seal at the hinge is horrible about 6 inch wide. It looks like the hinge is not allowing the lid to close properly. I'm going to see if I can adjust it before I use it tonight. Hoping its not a design flaw and they just put it together a little off. I can slide a dollar bill from the outside with the lid shut at the hinge.   
    Dearborn MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    I just checked and the seal at the hinge is horrible about 6 inch wide. It looks like the hinge is not allowing the lid to close properly. I'm going to see if I can adjust it before I use it tonight. Hoping its not a design flaw and they just put it together a little off. I can slide a dollar bill from the outside with the lid shut at the hinge.   

As I explained yesterday to FATCITY: The problem you describe is because the planes of your base and dome do not match. To resolve it you merely need to loosen the nuts on your bands but ONLY to the extent so you can shove the side or front or back that is sitting proud so that the dome and base match up clear around. Then re-tighten the nuts. That way your gaskets should match without rubbing during movement. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ok, simple hinge adjustment seems to have cured the problem. Also I noticed on Ebay or Amazon the BGE is selling a new and improved (and more than double the price) gasket for 2014. They must have got wind you guys were looking elsewhere and they want your business.
    Dearborn MI
  • RRP
    edited May 2014
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Ok, simple hinge adjustment seems to have cured the problem. Also I noticed on Ebay or Amazon the BGE is selling a new and improved (and more than double the price) gasket for 2014. They must have got wind you guys were looking elsewhere and they want your business.

Such a deal! "Only" $32.88...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I fixed my hinge and I'll see if it works today. Replacing my gasket while I brew some beer out on the patio.

I have the newer replacement nomex gasket BGE sells. Paid like $22 for it. Not the grey/wool looking one, but does have adhesive on the back.. We will see.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Well.. replaced the gasket, made sure to not get any overlapping into the inside. Looks good.

Until I close the lid and realize all the work yesterday I did to line the lid up, has been undone somehow. Shrunk up gasket, or the fact I did a high temp cook ( pizza ) last night.

Looks like crap. Starting to get annoyed by this lid/hinge/gasket saga. A good half of the gasket is showing at the front now. Probably will have to rig it up with washers and all kinda of crap to make it line up.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    Options
    Now
    FATC1TY said:
    Well.. replaced the gasket, made sure to not get any overlapping into the inside. Looks good.

Until I close the lid and realize all the work yesterday I did to line the lid up, has been undone somehow. Shrunk up gasket, or the fact I did a high temp cook ( pizza ) last night.

Looks like crap. Starting to get annoyed by this lid/hinge/gasket saga. A good half of the gasket is showing at the front now. Probably will have to rig it up with washers and all kinda of crap to make it line up.

You know...you just may have a faulty band assembly. OTOH have ever measured your dome and base to see if one or both are out of round? Take a tape measure and then record the distance from 12 to 6 o'clock and then from 9 to 3 o'clock. Compare these measurements.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    RRP said:
    Now
    FATC1TY said:

You know...you just may have a faulty band assembly. OTOH have ever measured your dome and base to see if one or both are out of round? Take a tape measure and then record the distance from 12 to 6 o'clock and then from 9 to 3 o'clock. Compare these measurements.
    I haven't gone as far as measuring, but I'm kind of getting to the end of my rope here. It's been fine for a year, and I've noticed it getting worse. It's the reason my gaskets get eaten alive at the 12 o clock spot at the hinge. Wadded up and pushed out..

I'm not holding my breath on finding a fix. This is probably the weakest part of the BGE and a reason going forward I'd tell someone to be weary of it and get one that was assembled already to see if it's good.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    Options
    Sorry you feel you have to live with that condition because you don't have to! You have a faulty hinge, bent bands or slipped bands and if it was as loose as you described then wear and tear of loose bolts will actually cause the bolt threads to rub the holes enlarging them so it creates more slop feeding on itself as it wears down.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    I'm just going to take the whole thing apart tomorrow after work, and start from square one again. Need to give it a good cleaning anyways to go with the new gasket.

Maybe I can get it figured out with a fresh start.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax