Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken is the winner! (lots of pics)

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Beautiful weekend so did lots of egging that included:  FRIDAY = wings  SATURDAY = shrimp stir fry & crab ragoons SUNDAY = Jerk Chicken.  
After that, I only feel obligated to post about the Jerk Chicken . . . It was amazing!  

First I removed the tendons on the chicken using this method.
1. Holding a paring knife just above the ankle and perpendicular to the bone, slice around the circumference all the way to the bone. This will expose the ends of about six thin white tendons.
2. Using a clean pair of pliers, grip the end of each tendon and pull firmly to remove it. Repeat until there are no more visible tendons.

I then followed the cooks illustrated method where you marinade the chicken in a "jerk paste" for 30 minutes at room temp before smoking indirect then high heat direct blast at the end.  This recipe also includes soaking your wood chips in a mixture of herbs attempting to capture the pimento wood flavor.  The Wood Chips (I used peach) soaked in a wet mixture of of allspice berries, thyme, rosemary, and water.
On the direct heat for finish
Pulled to rest while finishing salad
On Plate
Porch was getting dark and chicken is going fast!
BONUS:    cool picture I took of the moon in our backyard while I was chasing the puppy around.
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Well done my friend. Now how about sharing that shrimp and crab recipe!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I like that sitting area back there

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NDG
    Options
    @chris_wang . . . thanks man - this is our first spring at our new place and loving the backyard.  That tree limb you see under the moon is part of an awesome tree. Very peaceful area with tall line of evergreens at the back of our property that gives us a private feel.

@sgh . . . I will try to post the kung pao shrimp stir fry & crab ragoon recipe later but I got them both off the forum.  They were both recipes posted by @villageidiot.  Here is a pic of my finished ragoons. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow NDG that chicken looks amazing.   Did you feel like soaking the chips with the spices added to the final flavor?  I like the idea of removing the tendons- similar to lollipop drumsticks.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    Well done brother. Looks awesome!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Where did VI go? @Mickey‌

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NDG
    Options
    @smokeypitt . . . I can only say that the smoke smell coming out of the egg had a strong island-herbal smell that I have never smelled before.  I assume that was the allspice berries.  The recipe said to put all the herbs/chips in tin foil over the coals, but I just grabbed a handful and tossed them on with the chicken. The finished chicken had a really nice smoke flavor.
    Columbus, OH

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options

Have been wondering the same thing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Have been wondering the same thing.

and @Chris_Wang‌ VI is fine. He is crafting his Asian skills even more and working in his property. The total renaissance man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    Options
    Good to hear about VI - hope he posts again in the future.  Hell, half of my bookmarks are his posts!
    Columbus, OH

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've used this recipe. It is great. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NDG
    Options
    @sgh . . . sorry for wait - but here are links I used for the shrimp stir fry & for the crab rangoons. I mentioned, both were old bookmarks I had save from some of VI cooks.  Crab Rangoons (just realized I have spelled this word wrong a million times in the past) are nice to make in a large batch, keep some frozen and ready to pull out for a quick app.  Once again, thanks to VI for original posts - flavors dead on.

Kung Pao Shrimp Revisited:
    Columbus, OH

• SGH
    Options
    @NDG‌
    Thank you my friend. Going to try this for sure!!

Status- Standing by.