Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4.5lb brisket flat

Options
Jeremiah
Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
edited March 2014 in Beef
With all the brisket threads yesterday I had to do one too! So with my three year old in full blown head spinning tantrum mode, we stopped at publix for a 7ish flat. But all they had was this 4.5 pounder so home it came. Just put it on around 9 am, 250 dome. Salt and pepper just as @cazzy did yesterday.
While the wife and hell child are at church, so I'm going back in the garage to finish the teardown of my 1940's drill press. (My sanity time) image
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    It looks big for only 4.5 pounds. After my adventure yesterday I hope to hear more on how yours turns out.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    With all the brisket threads yesterday I had to do one too! So with my three year old in full blown head spinning tantrum mode, we stopped at publix for a 7ish flat. 
    Ah yes, I am familiar with this mode of operation myself, as I also own one of these three-year-olds you speak of.

I read a pretty good article the other day explaining why this mode exists.  Check it out if you're interested:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeremiah
    Options

Jeremiah said:

With all the brisket threads yesterday I had to do one too! So with my three year old in full blown head spinning tantrum mode, we stopped at publix for a 7ish flat. 

Ah yes, I am familiar with this mode of operation myself, as I also own one of these three-year-olds you speak of.

I read a pretty good article the other day explaining why this mode exists.  Check it out if you're interested:

That's funny and so accurate. :)

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Good luck miah!  I normally don't use a water pan, but with a flat, I prolly would .  Looks deep enough so you might consider adding some.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks cazzy.

4 hrs in now and just flipped to fat side up. I'm loosely following Ray Lampe's video so maybe in another two hrs I'll wrap it and add some coffee. image
  • Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    Options
    I followed the same Dr, BBQ recipe Friday and it was really good. Remember his recipe was done on a 9 lb flat. Make sure that you are monitoring temps as I doubt that you will need to go to 6 hours before you foil it. I used about a 6 lb flat @250 (grill temp) and went:
    3 hours fat side down
    1 hr fat side up (170 IT)
    1.5 hours foiled with coffee added (200 IT)

Your mileage may vary, but for sure it will be lass than 8 hrs total.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks mkadilla.

I just went to check it and was planning on foiling and coffee at this point but I have no bark. Nothing. By now I feel as I should have some blackening going on but it looks instead it's as if I've had the damn thing in the oven. So... I'm ditching the water pan and letting it ride closer to 300 than the 250 it's been at. Hopefully in an hour I can foil.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Take a updated pic if you can. Maybe not enough rub.  Doubt the water pan is the culprit but i'm sorry if it was.

Also, don't think cranking it will help with the bark.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
     Maybe not enough rub.  Doubt the water pan is the culprit
    I agree. I always cook small flats over a water pan. It does affect the bark but it does not prevent it.
    You want get a meteor if thats what you were going for but you can get a good bark.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks to both. Dome is currently 290, and i.t. is 189-193. Tough and nails too. I think it's time I foiled. image
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    .  i.t. is 189-193. Tough and nails too. I think it's time I foiled.

Brother this is just my opinion but if the IT is 193 you are way late wrapping. Again that is just my opinion but on a small flat I would have wrapped around 150-160. Hope it turns out.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yep...time to foil.  

One thing to keep in mind with just straight S&P.  It's more of a natural bark than what you're getting with a sugar based rub, so it needs time to develop.  If I was doing a small flat, I would probably roll at 225 to prolong the cook and then bump it up when you wrap.   

Food for thought.  I actually think it has great looking color, just not the black gold i'm sure you were looking for.  
  • cazzy
    Options
    @SGH He's going to put coffee in the foil so I think the liquid might actually help.  Might have to pull around 205 to get decent tenderness though.
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy
    I have never tried coffee. How is it?

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy
    I have never tried coffee. How is it?
    Don't know...I don't even like to drink the stuff.  Mickey's coffee rub is great though!  Have you tried it yet?

**One thing @SGH if you put the @ symbol before a members name, it will actually notify them that you mentioned them in a post.  It's a lil more complicated with members with a space in their name.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks all for the help. Fwiw, I LOVE. Coffee. Almost as much as Yuengling!
  • SGH
    Options

cazzy said:
    Don't know...I don't even like to drink the stuff.  Mickey's coffee rub is great though!  Have you tried it yet?

I hate coffee myself. I havent tried the coffee rub because i was afraid it would taste like coffee.
    I have heard that it was great but again never tried it myself for fear of it tasting like coffee.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Yep...time to foil.  

One thing to keep in mind with just straight S&P.  It's more of a natural bark than what you're getting with a sugar based rub, so it needs time to develop.  If I was doing a small flat, I would probably roll at 225 to prolong the cook and then bump it up when you wrap.   

Food for thought.  I actually think it has great looking color, just not the black gold i'm sure you were looking for.  

+1 On the current color. That looks great great so far. I have a really small brisket in the freezer I got with my last 1/2 steer order. I was planning to grind it for burgers, but based on some of the results lately I think I'll give it a go.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy

Just a test. Did it work?

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    DMW said:
    cazzy said:
    Yep...time to foil.  

+1 On the current color. That looks great great so far. I have a really small brisket in the freezer I got with my last 1/2 steer order. I was planning to grind it for burgers, but based on some of the results lately I think I'll give it a go.
    I actually want to do one just to see if I could pull it off.  Everytime i've thought about it, I get distracted by the all the pretty packers.   :P
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy

Just a test. Did it work?
    No, but that's probably cause you copied my name from an existing hyperlink.  Type it all.

Sorry for hijacking your thread miah   ;)
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy

How about this one?

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy

How about this one?
    You got it now!!
  • DMW
    edited March 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I actually want to do one just to see if I could pull it off.  Everytime i've thought about it, I get distracted by the all the pretty packers.   :P
    @cazzy I had my BIL (who raised these) tell the butcher to call me before they broke my 1/2 down. I told them I wanted a full packer on the brisket. When I got the order I weighed out everything except all the ground beef packs (about 1lb each). The brisket was 4lb 3oz. I asked my BIL about it and he said it was Holstein vs Angus or such and that might explain it. I still haven't unwrapped it, so not sure what to expect.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    DMW said:
    cazzy said:
    @cazzy I had my BIL (who raised these) tell the butcher to call me before they broke my 1/2 down. I told them I wanted a full packer on the brisket. When I got the order I weighed out everything except all the ground beef packs (about 1lb each). The brisket was 4lb 3oz. I asked my BIL about it and he said it was Holstein vs Angus or such and that might explain it. I still haven't unwrapped it, so not sure what to expect.
    Sounds like a flat to me.  Either way...Q it brother, don't grind it.
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy

Thanks for the tip. Im sure you already know but im not real computer savy. Any and all advice is always welcome. Again thanks.

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    See my 4 # brisket cook last night

Did not foil anything until I removed from the egg.

~325 or less degrees for 2 hours on the PTL for 2.5 hrs. Off egg at 165 IT. FTC until this morning.

~325 or less degrees for 4# flat and 4# point for 6.5 hours. off egg at 185 IT and FTC until this morning. Missed my midnight snack !!!!

Love the 2-rack cooking with PTL on top. Also love the Maverick for taking a nap and having an eye on things at the same time (just in case).

I am more trusting with the Rockwood lump than I was with the Frontier and Kroger brand. Seems much more temp stable.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DMW
    Options
    Sorry about all the dups. Not sure what is going on, first tried from my phone that seemed to stall, then from my tablet, same thing. Finally from a PC, and that worked. And then I noticed the dups... I think Vanilla is having some challenges from mobile devices as I've been having trouble replying to posts from my phone lately... Oh I've been drinking today, so that might explain it as well.  :-?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Just probed it at 207. Tender too. Keeping it in foil on the egg till dinner! Should be a good one after all this mess. :)
  • cazzy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Just probed it at 207. Tender too. Keeping it in foil on the egg till dinner! Should be a good one after all this mess. :)

Sounds good man! Hope it's great!