Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's go time!!!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Alright, this cook is a rebirth for me as i'm approaching this brisket much different than I ever have.  No internal probes and all by feel.  We shall see how well of a student I was on Tuesday.   :P

14 lb Choice Black Angus

Oak for smoke!   B-)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Have fun and looking forward to the photos.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    What was Tuesday?
    Dunedin, FL
  • As always those pictures are great. I need to get a nice camera like that. Can't wait to see more and hear how the cook goes
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice, almost went probeless on my last butt cook. How far along are you planning to do your first check?

Will be watching closely. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Pendejo
    Pendejo Posts: 22
    edited March 2014
    As always those pictures are great. I need to get a nice camera like that. Can't wait to see more and hear how the cook goes
    Please don't take offense, but it's not the camera, it's the photographer.  The statement implies that you can quickly take just as good pictures as Cazzy if you only had an expensive camera.  It's been said many times that Ansel Adams could take much better pictures with an Instamatic than 99% of the people could with the most expensive camera in the world.  A lot of people love Hapster's photos with his heavy saturation and contrast.  He uses an iPhone.

On Cazzy's last shot of the smoke, he probably lock focused on the Egg, then repositioned, or else the fence might have been in focus.  He also used a shallow depth of field (small f-stop number) to throw the background out of focus, and therefore, draw attention to the smoke.

Sorry for the comments, but it's a typical hot button with most photographers.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @cazzy-are your finger tips destroyed enough to deal with the feel??  And what dome temp are you running this cook?  Curious as with a 14 # packer it will be a long day...Regardless, great move to jump right in and go for it...wrapping paper the cook at what point?  Sorry for all the ?? but just trying to absorb more brisket info to complicate my downstream cooks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Pendejo said:
    As always those pictures are great. I need to get a nice camera like that. Can't wait to see more and hear how the cook goes
    Please don't take offense, but it's not the camera, it's the photographer.  The statement implies that you can quickly take just as good pictures as Cazzy if you only had an expensive camera.  It's been said many times that Ansel Adams could take much better pictures with an Instamatic than 99% of the people could with the most expensive camera in the world.  A lot of people love Hapster's photos with his heavy saturation and contrast.  He uses an iPhone.

On Cazzy's last shot of the smoke, he probably lock focused on the Egg, then repositioned, or else the fence might have been in focus.  He also used a shallow depth of field (small f-stop number) to throw the background out of focus, and therefore, draw attention to the smoke.

@hapster is a perfect example of "it's not the arrow, it's the indian".  It honestly isn't a pet peeve of mine, but I do chuckle from time to time.  It's honestly how the "I took that with my Motorola Razr" started.   :P   @shadowcaster is good people so it's all good.   :)

For the 2nd photo, it was taken at f/2.5 and I focused on the very top of the daisy wheel.  I didn't think it was necessary to lock focus and reposition as the smoke was within the DOF since I waited for the wind to die down.  
  • I am anxiously awaiting the results!
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    lousubcap said:
    @cazzy-are your finger tips destroyed enough to deal with the feel??  And what dome temp are you running this cook?  Curious as with a 14 # packer it will be a long day...Regardless, great move to jump right in and go for it...wrapping paper the cook at what point?  Sorry for all the ?? but just trying to absorb more brisket info to complicate my downstream cooks.
    Yeah, they were already kinda screwed from when I worked at a pizza spot as a youngster.

I hate to be a jerk, but I heard "please don't tell anyone this" like 15 times on Tuesday.  Out of respect for John, I need to refrain from divulging any of the secrets he shared with me.  I will say though...I will be wrapping but that should be fairly obvious since it's known that he and Aaron Franklin do.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @cazzy-No worries-I completely understand.  Just make sure that when your video series hits you tube you cover all the key elements :)>-  Have fun and don't look for the "wiggle feel" too many times-could drag out the cook.  Following this thread to the finish-line!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    yzzi said:
    What was Tuesday?
    You can check this thread out for more info.

Cliff notes:
    • Delivered Aaron Franklin's photo
    • He bought my lunch (again)
    • Met Johnny Trigg and Rod Gray
    • Delivered photo to John Lewis (Pitmaster at La Barbecue & Franklin Barbecue's old pit boss)
    • Hung out , watched a drunk guy get arrested, and cooked with John for 12 hours 
    • Fabulous day   :D

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    You still rate Franklin's ahead of La Barbecue? Or is it neck and neck?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    GQuiz said:

You still rate Franklin's ahead of La Barbecue? Or is it neck and neck?

Neck and neck. It's a rough spot for me as Aaron has taken care of both my meals at his restaurant and John has made me rethink the way I look at BBQ behind the pit.

I think John could top the list during the next TMBBQ Top 50. The dude is that creative and is one of the few making his own sausage in Austin. He's very into Charcuterie so it's in his wheel house. At one point, I idolized Aaron just for what he's done and the stamp he's put on Texas BBQ. I still respect him, but I think John is far more genius at his craft than Aaron.

Right now, from a time/food quality standpoint, the best bang for your buck BBQ in Central Texas is La Barbecue by a long shot! 30 minute wait for some of the best BBQ you'll probably ever have. The wifey wants one of his beef ribs, so we're going tomorrow.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    You lucky Bast@#D, sorry but ti would be so cool to hang out and learn from them !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • cazzy

You lucky Bast@#D, sorry but ti would be so cool to hang out and learn from them !

Lol...thanks!! :P
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    What an opportunity Cazzy. Not to many people will have the chance to experience that. I would have been like a "kid in a candy store". Will be following this thread for sure. Enjoy the ride.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Bow down
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    @henapple lmfao...you're such an idiot!
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    edited March 2014
    Stiles Switch bbq in austin is equal to franklin or la bbq. Some of the best brisket and beef ribs. The guys are great there.
  • Pendejo said:

Haha I can see a somehow struck a nerve with someone for simply complementing someone else on their work. I did not mean to insult cazzy in any way, just wanted to tell him his pictures were good. Guess I need to be more careful on how I give out compliments in the future.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • cazzy
    You're good @shadowcaster‌ it would take a lot more to insult me. ;)
  • cazzy

Stiles Switch bbq in austin is equal to franklin or la bbq. Some of the best brisket and beef ribs. The guys are great there.

I've heard it's good too and it makes sense since the pitmaster was also a pit boss at Franklin Barbecue too.

Micklethwait Craft Meats is pretty good too. He makes his own buns so their sammies are pretty epic.
  • Correct, they all seem to be tied to each other in some way....too funny.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Anyone that is an openly Vikings fan had to have thick skin, as a raiders fan, trust me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hrmmm... I just don't get where anything negative was said. Maybe it was underexposed or I'm just stuck in the dark room. I'll have to look at the post processing to fully develop an opinion.

Enjoy the puns, everyone!
  • cazzy

Hrmmm... I just don't get where anything negative was said. Maybe it was underexposed or I'm just stuck in the dark room. I'll have to look at the post processing to fully develop an opinion.

Enjoy the puns, everyone!

Nothing negative was said.

Very clever puns :)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    @cazzy...

@hapster is a perfect example of "it's not the arrow, it's the indian".  It honestly isn't a pet peeve of mine, but I do chuckle from time to time.  It's honestly how the "I took that with my Motorola Razr" started.     @shadowcaster is good people so it's all good.  

For the 2nd photo, it was taken at f/2.5 and I focused on the very top of the daisy wheel.  I didn't think it was necessary to lock focus and reposition as the smoke was within the DOF since I waited for the wind to die down. 

Thanks for the compliments :)

Looking forward to the results, both the food and the pics... Have fun!

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    @cazzy I loved the cliff notes version. Best part!

"Drunk guy get arrested"

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    @cazzy I loved the cliff notes version. Best part!

"Drunk guy get arrested"

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Well???

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer