Recently some friends went off shore to fish and shared some fresh king mackerel. They caught 11 between 20#'s and 50"#s. Gifted us with 10 #'s.
3 1/2 Lbs Fresh King Mackerel
1 Cup Old Bay Seasoning
2/3 Cup Favorite Seasoning
1/4 Cup Garlic Powder
3-4 Cups 11.5 Ozs. Pkg. Water
1. Mix the seasonings and water in a sauce pan, bring to a light boil and let the salt dissolve. Take off heat and add a few ice cubes to help cool.
After brined and drying:
2. Place mixture and fish in a 2 gallon plastic bag and place in frig overnight turning a few times.Let air dry for an hour or so.
3. Get BGE set up for 200F indirect with a water pan and add some pecan chips.
2 hours into cook:
4. Cook about 2 1/2 hours until the temperature of the fish has been around 160-170F for 30 minutes or so.
5. Remove from BGE and cool.
6. Saw some fish dip for the Army/Navy game yesterday.
Appetizer, Dip, King Mackerel, Smoked, Richard Fl.
1 Lb Smoked King Mackerel, Cut into small pieces
3/4 Cup Milk
3 8 Ozs Cream Cheese, Softened
1/3 Cup Garlic Chives or Scallions, Chopped fine
2-3 Tbs Horse Radish
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
2-3 Tbs Mayonaisse
2-3 Tbs Fresh ground Black Pepper
Several Drops Lemon Juice
Several Drops Favorite Hot Sauce
Some Small Capers (optional)
1. Mix the chopped fish with the milk and set in refrigerator for 30 minutes, remove and drain, but do not rinse.
2. Mix all the other ingredients with a hand mixer and add the drained fish at the end.
Thanks for looking. Have a continued great holiday season.