Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soda Stream

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
The Mrs. is thinking about getting a Soda Stream.  Anyone have one?  If so, what do you think?  I was sold when I saw I could make my own tonic to mix with Tito's.  

Comments

• We have one...family loves it
  • Same here. Nola brought up a point when I was in the market for this type of system. He said there's another system that uses a cheaper CO2 refill. After thinking about it, the availability of Soda Stream refills & extra bottles & stuff swayed us. PS. It's very hard for me to type SODA because in Michigan, the beverage is called POP.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2013

TJ, I think Nola had some comments about it. Wait till he gets in here before you spring for it. If I remember it right, he was of opinion that there were other choices that used non-proprietary supplies like co2.

Or FredFlintstone. He got one.

But then if you are an apple sorta person, ....

:D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115

I have one.

The family loves it for sweet drinks, I don't, I like it

only for seltzer, I like seltzer.

The sweet drinks taste like artificial sugar. Don't like it.

Maybe, someone has used natural fruit, and had better results

Snellville,Ga.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    I haven't had a soda in over 30 years, just drink water or mostly iced tea.  I've often wondered what carbonated iced tea would be like.  Anyone try that?  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• I actually just walked in the door with one.  Seems like a good idea.  I don't like soda either, but I do like carbonated water, which this does quite well.
  • Love it. Use it almost every day.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Does it do bourbon? :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • We've become Ritz Water addicts.  No flavoring, but it satisfies.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We had the soda stream. The tanks are proprietary - they can't be user re-filled, and they charge a premium for exchange to a full tank.  The Primo Flavorstation went on sale for $30, they come with a standard 24 oz paint ball CO2 tank - about $4.00 to fill.  Anyway, the soda stream is a good device except for the tanks, but you can buy an adapter to convert regular paint ball tanks to the soda stream manifold fitting.  Those are around $45. 

Regardless of who you buy from, it's nice to be able to make soda water, and try red-sparkling wine. Good schtuff.

Does it do bourbon? :)>-

We used to drink Amaretto Slammers and I know it can provide the needed bubbles!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    I've tried carbonating some weird stuff like milk (but not milk, don't remember - maybe it was orange juice).....you can get a hilarious bubble-splosion.  Make sure you're prepared to scrub the walls and ceiling.
  • Same here. Nola brought up a point when I was in the market for this type of system. He said there's another system that uses a cheaper CO2 refill. After thinking about it, the availability of Soda Stream refills & extra bottles & stuff swayed us. PS. It's very hard for me to type SODA because in Michigan, the beverage is called POP.

Haha I'm from Ohio and call it pop as well
  • tybish said:
    Same here. Nola brought up a point when I was in the market for this type of system. He said there's another system that uses a cheaper CO2 refill. After thinking about it, the availability of Soda Stream refills & extra bottles & stuff swayed us. PS. It's very hard for me to type SODA because in Michigan, the beverage is called POP.
    And most of Canada as well....you can always tell a new immigrant, they call it soda. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Wife has one - she loves it. Just makes carbonated water, has had it 3 or 4 years.
    Cookin in Texas
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I'm from the north and call it soda pop. When I travel south, I always ask for a pop. 1 time I was in New Mexico and asked for a pop, I found they have another meaning for pop.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• nolaegghead
    bigguy136 said:
    I'm from the north and call it soda pop. When I travel south, I always ask for a pop. 1 time I was in New Mexico and asked for a pop, I found they have another meaning for pop.
    What was that meaning?  Alkyl nitrite?
    I have had a Sodastream machine for 8 years and love it. I originally purchased it because I loved carbonated water but hated the fact that commercial seltzer in the supermarkets goes flat in about 1 day and isn't carbonated enough to begin with.  Now I can make it as strong as I like and it keeps much longer.

We do use some of the newer natural flavors and they taste great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA

• tybish said:

Same here. Nola brought up a point when I was in the market for this type of system. He said there's another system that uses a cheaper CO2 refill. After thinking about it, the availability of Soda Stream refills & extra bottles & stuff swayed us. PS. It's very hard for me to type SODA because in Michigan, the beverage is called POP.

And most of Canada as well....you can always tell a new immigrant, they call it soda. 

We just call it all coke.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    bigguy136 said:
    What was that meaning?  Alkyl nitrite?
    I was at a KFC and when I asked for a pop, the gal said it's a, umm...... gal for rent by the hour..

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• We use one at the restaurant - decided to convert to refillable bottles pretty quickly.

Definitely DO NOT dishwash the bottle.  They melt very easily.

Love the Soda Stream.  They went on sale at SurLa a while ago for $60, and should go back on sale again for the upcoming holiday.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Try this:  Squeeze an orange into a 16 oz glass of ice.  Add 6 or 8 drops of pure stevia.  Fill with carbonated water and stir.  This makes a great soda drink and is a very healthy alternative to "POP".
  • I use a Soda Stream and love it,  although Nola is right about the tank expense.

• tybish said:

I'm from the north. When I moved to Texas, ordered a coke.. and they ask what kind. Inception!

Ps, in Wisconsin, drinking fountains are called bubblers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • we have one and it's just great only thing is the gas cylinders are on the pricey side I think like $15.00 per and depending on how much you use it it could be expensive 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Originally from Ohio as well.  It's pop there and soda in Virginia.  Still call it pop but have found myself oddly saying soda once in awhile.  Friends have one and love it, If the flavors contain HFCS, I would not want it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    Even Canada Dry?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    It goes down somefin like this:

"hey man, you want a coke, or somethin' that'll grow hair on your girlish chest?" 
    (other guy) "naw, I got hammered the past 3 days.  What kinda coke you got?"
    "got some canada dry, mountain dew and grape fanta..."

Steve 

Caledon, ON