Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

7/4 weekend cook #1: Spaghetti *IN* Meatballs... and my throwdown entry

calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
Have been waiting for a week+ to hunker down and put this idea in motion. I hope the world is ready for it. I present for your envy - Spaghetti IN Meatballs! This is also my entry for the stuffed throwdown.

Started out with 2# ground turkey for the meatballs. Added garlic, basil, granulated onion, bhut jolokia salt, fresh cracked pepper and let it get friendly in the refrigerator while I worked on the sauce.

Groceries for the sauce. Brew is Westmalle Trappist Ale. 

Aromatics in the pot. 

Sauce is looking good already. Added some tomato paste to deepen the flavor.

Meanwhile, the pasta had boiled and cooled. Added shredded parmesan, tablespoon of merlot, habanero death dust, pepper and filled a small muffin pan (1.5 actually). Set on the egg for 10mins so that the cheese would melt and bind the pasta together. 

Stuffed meatballs with pasta. This took longer and was harder than I thought. I should have used 3# of turkey for 1 pkg of pasta. Set them on top of the pot so that the drippings would get into the sauce while the sauce thickened. Had to add some of the reserved pasta water to keep the sauce from drying out.
Everybody in the pool! Once the meatballs browned, dumped them in the sauce and let it simmer a bit longer.
Sucky plated shot.

This was a PITA to make, but oh so good. Lotsa garlic and the sauce was rich and flavorful from the wine and tomato paste. Nice kick to it too from the different chilis/peppers added. Had one meatball for breakfast today and the sauce is even better after sitting overnight. I'll post this as my entry for the throwdown, but can't seem to find the thread. 

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
·

Comments

• Cool idea Cali.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
    Found the thread for the throwdown, posted there also. Sorry for the repeat. Building my post count :)

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Awesome! I love the creativity! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Very nice cook. Pictures are great as well.
    ·
  • JustacookinJustacookin Posts: 240
    Very neat idea. Nice job
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
    ·
  • AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 810
    Love it, not sure I could attempt it, but love it. great work.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    Cali, is there some way you can send me one of those? Looks too good dude.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,019
    Inverse spag and meatball - love it!

·
  • Awesome! And starting the proceedings with Westmalle Tripel!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
    ·
  • Beagle1Beagle1 Posts: 31
    awesome, absolutely awesome.
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
    ·
  • very creative.
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    You've went to long since posting a cook. That looks awesome! Worth the wait.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    edited July 2013
    shtgunal3 said:
    You've went to long since posting a cook. That looks awesome! Worth the wait.
    Haha! Yeah, I know... I was starting to feel funny.

Awesome! And starting the proceedings with Westmalle Tripel!
    The benefit of Belgian brews being "in" is that many great ones can be easily found now. HEB and Kroger down here carry a great selection. Up until some years ago, Chimay was all you could find. Now every brewery is trying to put out Belgian-style beers. Maredsous and Kwak are other ones I really like. But the beverages nearly destroyed my brisket cook which followed !

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,056
    That is impressive.... And aggressive. I bet those things could knock someone out if hit someone in head. Did they weigh 6lbs?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    Wow! Those are incredible looking. You get my vote for sure!
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 600

Here is the 4th throwdown thread,  You could beat @nolaegghead and become the Independence Day Champ!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1154167/vote-for-the-best-cook#latest

Milton, GA.
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 931
    Very, very cool idea. Great post, thanks! Bookmarked!

Cheers-
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
    @Chubbs - I was trying to find a pic of the meatball scene from Wedding Singer.

I hope folks remember to vote, although I think Nola has this one locked up!

·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 938
    Very creative indeed! I also love the smoke ring you got.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,583
    Very Nice my friend!  Thinking inside the sphere!
    canuckland
    ·