Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7/4 weekend cook #1: Spaghetti *IN* Meatballs... and my throwdown entry

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Have been waiting for a week+ to hunker down and put this idea in motion. I hope the world is ready for it. I present for your envy - Spaghetti IN Meatballs! This is also my entry for the stuffed throwdown.

Started out with 2# ground turkey for the meatballs. Added garlic, basil, granulated onion, bhut jolokia salt, fresh cracked pepper and let it get friendly in the refrigerator while I worked on the sauce.

Groceries for the sauce. Brew is Westmalle Trappist Ale. 

Aromatics in the pot. 

Sauce is looking good already. Added some tomato paste to deepen the flavor.

Meanwhile, the pasta had boiled and cooled. Added shredded parmesan, tablespoon of merlot, habanero death dust, pepper and filled a small muffin pan (1.5 actually). Set on the egg for 10mins so that the cheese would melt and bind the pasta together. 

Stuffed meatballs with pasta. This took longer and was harder than I thought. I should have used 3# of turkey for 1 pkg of pasta. Set them on top of the pot so that the drippings would get into the sauce while the sauce thickened. Had to add some of the reserved pasta water to keep the sauce from drying out.
Everybody in the pool! Once the meatballs browned, dumped them in the sauce and let it simmer a bit longer.
Sucky plated shot.

This was a PITA to make, but oh so good. Lotsa garlic and the sauce was rich and flavorful from the wine and tomato paste. Nice kick to it too from the different chilis/peppers added. Had one meatball for breakfast today and the sauce is even better after sitting overnight. I'll post this as my entry for the throwdown, but can't seem to find the thread. 

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments