Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!



The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Well well well

2

Comments

  • mrosener said:
    Several months ago HEB had packers for $0.97 per pound.  But $1.77 is pretty good.
    Not .97 for CAB. Those were crap swift select grade (still a smoking price, I've done plenty of good select). $1.77 for CAB is like finding free meat in the street ( on a very clean street, wrapped in cryo in a sanitary cooler). I now have 6. Hoping to find 4 more tomorrow. 



    ·
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 111

    What is HEB? I live in Atlanta, 1.77per lb,no way. Can anybody in my area give me less than

    5.00 per llb? Publx 5.99 per for a flat,7.99 for a point. 1.77 per? Wow

    Snellville,Ga.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    @CenTex, just curious. Why would you need 10 whole packer briskets? The US Army would not buy that much. :)

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

    ·
  • Aviator said:
    @CenTex, just curious. Why would you need 10 whole packer briskets? The US Army would not buy that much. :)
    i cook 1-3 every month if I need to or not. This is roughly a 6 month supply for me. I'm saving $50 PER BRISKET at these prices. I just saved $500. I have not seen good brisket at these prices.....well....ever. 



    ·
  • and I cook a lot more in the summer for pool parties, going to the beach, going out on the boat etc so this is probably a 3 month supply.



    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,747
    I'm doing two next weekend.

    Anyone who asks why someone would cook so much brisket must not have ever had a chopped beef Sammy made from a choice brisket.

    You guys should try it. It's heaven in your mouth.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • I'm doing two next weekend. Anyone who asks why someone would cook so much brisket must not have ever had a chopped beef Sammy made from a choice brisket. You guys should try it. It's heaven in your mouth.
    I may take a whole brisky and chop it and freeze in it 7 or 8 1lb food saver bags. Good chopped beef is like crack. Chopped made out of CAB? Forget it. Crazy good.



    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,948
    Well at least we get something right in the land of Kentucky Jelly-the CAB flats run around 3.99/# (and that number hasn't moved in at least a year-I'm waiting...) and even if you hose it up the chopped sammiches are worth it as noted by those lucky SOB's above  :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

    You guys make me sick with envy. We don't get full whole packers.

    We get flats, but I am going to do one again. Trouble is then there is all this meat to eat and I wont be allowed to cook again till its almost gone. I love to cook on the egg more than eating all of it. Filled up two fridges once and got banned from the deck.

    :(

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

    ·
  • lousubcap said:
    Well at least we get something right in the land of Kentucky Jelly-the CAB flats run around 3.99/# (and that number hasn't moved in at least a year-I'm waiting...) and even if you hose it up the chopped sammiches are worth it as noted by those lucky SOB's above  :)>-
    Yeah, our buddy Aaron Franklin has sent brisket prices soaring here in the ATX. God bless him, but life for me was much better when brisket was a POS cut of meat that people avoided or boiled in foil trays with allegro hot and spicy :))




    ·
  • sorry T. Couldn't help it.



    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,948
    Now that's shot-and remember he has a beverage somewhere and is quite handy with rifles, hand-guns and knives :)
    Louisville
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Wow, great find! Lucky Texan's!
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,320
    edited June 2013
    lousubcap said:
    Now that's shot-and remember he has a beverage somewhere and is quite handy with rifles, hand-guns and knives :)
    I can get lippy when having a few. That's what I (more likely TFJ) like to call "just the right amount of Tito's to get your ass kicked"



    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,320
    edited June 2013
    Aviator said:

    You guys make me sick with envy. We don't get full whole packers.

    We get flats, but I am going to do one again. Trouble is then there is all this meat to eat and I wont be allowed to cook again till its almost gone. I love to cook on the egg more than eating all of it. Filled up two fridges once and got banned from the deck.

    :(
    I'm sure you've seen this story from me before but it's true and it works. Take what you won't eat to the fire station nearest you and tell the fellas/ladies that you are practicing for a competition and you cook more than you could ever eat. Drop it off, tell them thanks for all they do and tell them to let you know what they think. They will love you forever, SWMBO can't get mad at your philanthropic acts,  and you go buy more and do it all over next weekend. I still have buddies from doing this 7-8 years ago when I was learning and they are 1200 miles away. They still cook on my old gasser at the station to this day.

     

    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,948
    edited June 2013
    @Cen_Tex-I just climbed aboard the bourbon (Double Oaked) train.  No brisket on the near-term horizon but a SWMBO a$$kick is rapidly approaching.
    Louisville
    ·
  • lousubcap said:
    @Cen_Tex-I just climbed aboard the bourbon (Double Oaked) train.  No brisket on the near-term horizon but a SWMBO a$$kick is rapidly approaching.
    good luck. Just avoid the "stop drinking and take a shower" talk. never ends well.



    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,421
    Yeah, I'd probably have to buy a new freezer if it ever got that high quality brisket ever got that low around here. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,616
    Darn it! All out at my HEB :(

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,747
    caliking said:
    Darn it! All out at my HEB :(
    Dont give up, Sally. These are not just ordinary CAB briskets. There is almost no trimming needed. I can get Choice brisket year round for $2.00 per lb at the commissary but they have a ton of fat on the outside. 

    These suckers are special. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    edited June 2013
    caliking said:
    Darn it! All out at my HEB :(
    Dont give up, Sally. These are not just ordinary CAB briskets. There is almost no trimming needed. I can get Choice brisket year round for $2.00 per lb at the commissary but they have a ton of fat on the outside. 

    These suckers are special. 

    Sally??? Whats up with yu and calli. Sorry, I didn't ask, please don't tell.
    :))

    Jk guys, I know its Sat eve and the ole nasty is to blame.

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    cazzy said:

    At that price I might have to drive to Texas

    Lol...no kidding. I'm pretty sad I couldn't score 1. I pay $4.49 for CAB at my butcher.
    Last weekend at Granzin's, they had CAB for 3.39 a pound. May have been a special, but it's worth a peak.

    XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,510
    I hate you Texas peeps. 1.77/lb? Secede already! You all suck! ;)





    By the way, ship me 2 or 3. I'll pay for the dry ice and everything.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,908

    I hate you Texas peeps. 1.77/lb? Secede already! You all suck! ;)





    By the way, ship me 2 or 3. I'll pay for the dry ice and everything.

    Haha if they secede I'm jumping on over there! Step one sell house-- check!


    _______________________________________________

    LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    I hesitated to buy more than 1 at a time because I have never frozen pre-cooked brisket before.  Does freezing the pre-cooked meat do anything negative to the quality?
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

    ·
  • TEggSun said:
    I hesitated to buy more than 1 at a time because I have never frozen pre-cooked brisket before.  Does freezing the pre-cooked meat do anything negative to the quality?

    yes. freezing anything is not the best you can do but these are outstanding briskets. Well worth freezing and keeping at this price.

    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Would you suggest I rub it down before freezing or simply freeze it vacuum packed as is?

    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

    ·
  • TEggSun said:
    Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Would you suggest I rub it down before freezing or simply freeze it vacuum packed as is?


    freeze it in the cryo if it is in cryo. Don't rub before freezing.

    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    Makes sense.  Thanks.  I'm off to HEB in the morning.   :D
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,175
    edited June 2013
    TEggSun said:

    I hesitated to buy more than 1 at a time because I have never frozen pre-cooked brisket before.  Does freezing the pre-cooked meat do anything negative to the quality?

    I'm sure it was a tongue slip, but these are raw briskets, not pre-cooked. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
Sign In or Register to comment.