Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I won, I won, I won!!

BOWHUNR
BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I competed in a ribeye cook off hosted by our local bbq store HUB (Helping You BBQ).  There were fifteen teams and I walked away with first place thanks to my small and my mini.  BGE should send me some kind of royalty check since I'm sure I sold a bunch of mini's for them.  I can't begin to guess how many people wanted their picture taken with it.  In the big picture it cracked me up to roll in there by myself with two little eggs and whip the s#@t out of teams with $30,000 pull behinds.  Sorry guys for the bragging, but I am stoked!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    that's awesome... congrats. how'd you cook them?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Fantastic, Congratulations!!!   :-bd

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    WOW Mike. Any more pics from the contest? It ain't bragging, you did it man. Tell us how you cooked them please.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That's pretty awesome. All with a mini.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Those are 2 of the best looking rib eyes I've ever seen! Congrats.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    What did you win?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    I cooked two inch thick cowboy ribeye's for the first round.  They were marinaded in a 50/50 mixture of soy sauce and Canadian whiskey for 15 minutes on each side and seasoned with Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks.  I wrapped the bones with foil to keep them nice and white for the turn in.  The top five advanced to the second round and we were all supplied steaks which were 1" thick prime ribeyes.  Long story short, I nutted it!  Cooked them the same way as the cowboy's just a little less time.

A fat guy and his two little eggs.

Omaha, NE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Congrats on nailing it!   Any additional cook style details or did the whiskey and DP seal the deal?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BOWHUNR
    lousubcap said:
    Any additional cook style details or did the whiskey and DP seal the deal?
    As God is my witness, I cooked them no different then I do any night of the week.  I let the mini go nuclear to sear them and finished on the small which was stabilized at 400* with a raised grid direct.  I tossed about half a handful of Jack Daniels chips before finishing them off on the small.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    That is suuuhhhwweeeet! Congratulations.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Way to go, congrats!
  • Awesome, congrats! 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Awesome job, congratulations!

That is what people miss about the EGG, you can get competition quality grub every night of the week and it's not rocket science.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Congrats !!! You not Bragging, your stating the Fact Jack!!!! \:D/ \:D/
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I am sure you sold a lot of eggs -- great photo of your "expensive" set up -- "card table" and all!!  Congrats!!
  • BOWHUNR
    I am sure you sold a lot of eggs -- great photo of your "expensive" set up -- "card table" and all!!  Congrats!!
    Ha!  Kind of funny isn't it.  The guys with the expensive rigs were set up to the right and out of the photo.  If you look close in the upper right there was a guy whose trailer had a sink complete with running hot water.  Me....just a couple little eggs and a card table. :D

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    trex, reverse sear, mangrates?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    That is a great feeling when you can do it. Congrats! That is reason we compete.
  • BOWHUNR
    T-rex.  No Mangrates, but there was a guy cooking on a Weber kettle that had them.  Felt kind of good to wad him up like a booger. :D:D

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hat is off. Just the pic made my mouth water.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Excellent, good on you, every right to be proud and nobody minds anyone being happy and sharing when they step up and do it right. Congrats!
    Nice use of the two eggs, one to sear one to cook. Maybe I need a second......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    BOWHUNR said:
    T-rex.  No Mangrates, but there was a guy cooking on a Weber kettle that had them.  Felt kind of good to wad him up like a booger. :D:D

Mike

Easy BOWHUNR we Eggers always take the high road. Except to eat our own on the forum X_X

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

That is so awesome, I love the picture of the Smoker behind you that things looks like it has its own zip code.

It is so great to hear the stories of the little guy showing, and you know everyone was wondering "what is this guy thinking?"

And then kick their A$$!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Did they give you a temp to be at in turn-in?

• BOWHUNR

Mickey said:
    Did they give you a temp to be at in turn-in?
    In the cooks meeting prior to the event they asked for medium rare, but gave no specific temp.  I cooked mine to 122-125* and gave them a 5 minute rest under foil to let them come up.  The judges were in the store behind closed doors so I have no idea how close I came but it must have been alright.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Congrats,them's nice looking steaks.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Trex wins championships!!!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    super good job man
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Great job, and the steaks look fantastic. Brag all you want, you deserve it! Congratulations
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA