It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here
I got a call from my dealer yesterday that the second Large I ordered at Christmastime was ready for pickup. The base cabinet unit was actually the item that was backordered and was the cause for the delay. I couldn’t build the Egg without a place to set it on. I got the units home and safely offloaded as the sun was setting. This morning I got an early start before the sunrise. I assembled the metal bands and hinge, plus the Table Nest indoors in the Kitchen where it was warm. Once the sun rose I moved outdoors where moved my old CG Smokin’ Pro to dry dock. In it’s place I positioned the base cabinet for the Large & leveled it. Next I assemble the new Large and I moved my existing cabinet unit next to the new base cabinet & tied the two units together.
DIFFERNECES BETWEEN MY 08/12 VERSION OF THE EGG & THIS NEW 12/12 EGG.
Some time in September the BGE folks started releasing Eggs with some revisions. The ones I noticed were:
QUESTION RE: NEW GASKET:
Is the new gasket really high temp? I do a lot of high temperature cooking (wok, pizzas, steaks etc.) and if this gasket isn’t really high temp I’d just as soon get a high temp gasket right away. My first Egg had the brown wool gasket and it was useless for my day to day use. I think it would have been easier to remove the gasket before it has been seared into place. So what are folks that have the grey gaskets experience with those?
PICTURES - SETUP:
The sun is rising, time to get busy. IT was a warm 20 degrees (-7 C)
My CG Smokin' Pro has been removed, dry-docked and is destined for smoker heaven (sniff). I'm better now. The base cabinet unit for the new Large has been place & leveled. The Large Table Nest is in place.
Time to get busy. I was flying solo today so I made sure to eat my Wheaties so I could lift these pieces into place solo.
The bottom of the new Large is in place on the base cabinet.
The delay in getting the base cabinet allowed me time to order a High Que fire grate and have it ready to go when the Egg arrived. This picture also shows the new fire ring with the curved notches on the bottom side and the square notches for the plate setter on top.
The bands are installed & have been tighter using a torque wrench. Time to remove the plastic safety clamps on the hinges.
The completed setup. My existing base cabinet unit has been moved & installed next to the base cabinet for the Large. My existing Large is on the right. The item under the left hand shelf is one of my two Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy.
The new base cabinet is the perfect size to hold 2 plate setters.
The only thing left is to decide what my first cook will be.
I can't wait to start taking advantage of the new opportunities I have.