This is the 1st Thanksgiving i've hosted so I guess I kinda feel like an adult now. I will definitely classify it as a success and everyone raved about my bird...even my wife! Every year she asks for steak but I may have turned her.
I don't think i'll ever cook poultry again without brining as it incorporated quite a bit of flavor and everything was incredibly juicy. Next year's breast will be better as I'll ensure I cut it across the grain next time. I should have confirmed instead of assuming it was the same way I saw it in the Chow video. oh well, still succulent white meat!
- 20# bird
- brined for 36 hours...thanks CenTex!
- rinsed, rinsed and rinsed after removal
- rest uncovered in fridge for 12 hours
- slathered with a lil butter and seasoned with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
- Egg stabilized at 400 indirect - apple/cherry chips mixed into lump
- Rested for 35 min after removal
- Gravy made from drippings - Used Aaron Franklin's gravy made...simple, smokey and good.
Thanks Spring Chicken! The Chow You're Doing it Wrong Video was very helpful!!
Maple Bourbon Ham
As VI mentioned, injecting a spiral ham was pointless. I look forward to making again using a different ham. It was very good none the less. Sorry for the bad picture...it fell apart when I moved it to the serving plate.
Next year, i'll try Mad Max's method but I'll still brine my bird. Travis told me the gravy was insanely good so I'm eager to give that recipe a whirl.
Happy Thanksgiving EggHeads!! :)