Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Thermoworks TW-8060 ??

bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 501
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a Thermapen and am very pleased with it's performance.  I also have a .Maverick ET-732 which is adequate, but seems to be lacking in the probe durability area.  I am considering a TW 8060 to replace the Mav.  Has Thermoworks ever put these on sale as they do the pens?  My Mav is working for the time being so it is not imperative to replace it immediately  If they don't ever go on sale, I will buy now and be ready for the next  time the Mav goes down..
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 4,832
    edited October 2012
    Never seen them on sale. The 8060 is very expensive compared to the Mav, but then, if the Mav doesn't work it is not much use. To get the high temp probes and wireless I think the Thermoworks is close to $200. Let us know what config you go with and what the costs are...

Thanks
    Delta B.C., Canuckistan - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 408
    I just purchased the $129 package and so far have been very impressed with the build quality.
    Edina, MN
    @Budgeezer, what was in the $129 package?
    Food probe, grid probe and the main unit.
    Edina, MN
    @Budgeezer, thanks. I think this is a great unit, with quality probes. Only know one person who has Thermoworks probes, they are very happy. Did you look at anything that provides the wireless interface like the Mav?

@Budgeezer, thanks. I think this is a great unit, with quality probes. Only know one person who has Thermoworks probes, they are very happy. Did you look at anything that provides the wireless interface like the Mav?

I don't think there is a remote option yet, but after burning through a couple cheaper probes I was willing to do without in exchange for durability. I did read somewhere that they were working on a blue tooth option. Hopefully that is the case.
    Edina, MN
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 9,002
    Remote retrofit - baby monitor.

• Budgeezer said:
    I don't think there is a remote option yet, but after burning through a couple cheaper probes I was willing to do without in exchange for durability. I did read somewhere that they were working on a blue tooth option. Hopefully that is the case.
    I have several lengths of Type K thermocouple extension wire which I will use to remote the unit into my house from the deck.  Hadn't thought about a baby monitor to alert in the bedroom from the other end of the house, great idea.  Those were very new tech when I was raising my kids.  After the failure of two probes for the ET 732 and it's inability to transmit/receive from the deck to the bedroom, I am pursuing other options.  I am also thinking the kits are the way to go.
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Had ordered this. Went with the BBQ kit and the thing works great. Termoworks has a great customer service. They missed a probe when packing and when we called them they shipped next day with a Saturday delivery. They can't be beat!
    Lets keep the beer cold and the eggs burning!