Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks TW-8060 ??

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a Thermapen and am very pleased with it's performance.  I also have a .Maverick ET-732 which is adequate, but seems to be lacking in the probe durability area.  I am considering a TW 8060 to replace the Mav.  Has Thermoworks ever put these on sale as they do the pens?  My Mav is working for the time being so it is not imperative to replace it immediately  If they don't ever go on sale, I will buy now and be ready for the next  time the Mav goes down..
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Never seen them on sale. The 8060 is very expensive compared to the Mav, but then, if the Mav doesn't work it is not much use. To get the high temp probes and wireless I think the Thermoworks is close to $200. Let us know what config you go with and what the costs are...

Thanks
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    I just purchased the $129 package and so far have been very impressed with the build quality.
    Edina, MN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Budgeezer, what was in the $129 package?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    Food probe, grid probe and the main unit.
    Edina, MN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Budgeezer, thanks. I think this is a great unit, with quality probes. Only know one person who has Thermoworks probes, they are very happy. Did you look at anything that provides the wireless interface like the Mav?
  • Budgeezer
    Options

@Budgeezer, thanks. I think this is a great unit, with quality probes. Only know one person who has Thermoworks probes, they are very happy. Did you look at anything that provides the wireless interface like the Mav?

I don't think there is a remote option yet, but after burning through a couple cheaper probes I was willing to do without in exchange for durability. I did read somewhere that they were working on a blue tooth option. Hopefully that is the case.
    Edina, MN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Remote retrofit - baby monitor.
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    I don't think there is a remote option yet, but after burning through a couple cheaper probes I was willing to do without in exchange for durability. I did read somewhere that they were working on a blue tooth option. Hopefully that is the case.
    I have several lengths of Type K thermocouple extension wire which I will use to remote the unit into my house from the deck.  Hadn't thought about a baby monitor to alert in the bedroom from the other end of the house, great idea.  Those were very new tech when I was raising my kids.  After the failure of two probes for the ET 732 and it's inability to transmit/receive from the deck to the bedroom, I am pursuing other options.  I am also thinking the kits are the way to go.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Hotrodden
    Options
    Had ordered this. Went with the BBQ kit and the thing works great. Termoworks has a great customer service. They missed a probe when packing and when we called them they shipped next day with a Saturday delivery. They can't be beat!
    Lets keep the beer cold and the eggs burning!