Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

\"The next time you take photos..........\"

eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While in Costo I came upon a package of "Prime Beef chuck short ribs". I am not familiar with this cut so I asked the butcher. He said it was boneless short ribs. They were cut a little over 1/2 inch thick. Thicker than the Korean short ribs I like to buy. I bought them nonetheless. I already had a Korean marinade in the freezer that I use for Kalbi, so I defrosted it and used it on this meat I found at Costo.

First I had to prepare the meat. I initially pounded the meat, but could not get it thin enough. I resorted to taking a very sharp knife and cutting each piece of meat in half thickness wise. IMG_5496.jpg

I was then able to pound the meat to 1/4 inch or less in thickness.

IMG_5497.jpg

I them slathered the meat with marinade and vacuum packed it for almost 24 hours.

IMG_5502.jpg

Tonight, I fired the egg to 500 plus and slapped the marinaded beef on for several minutes per side until nicely charred.

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5516.jpg

It was served with rice prepared with soy, roasted sesame seeds, raisins, garlic, green onions ,cilantro,red bell pepper,dry sherry,raisins, sesame oil, sambal oelek. For the veggie I served green beans in sichuan sauce.

IMG_5519.jpg

My sister left saying, "the next time you take photos, let me know and we won't come over."

Comments

• troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy! The next time you take photos I'll come over instead of your sister.

That looks fabulous. Couple of questions:

After applying the marinade, did you vacuum-seal (ala Foodsaver) and put in fridge for 24 hours?

How did you make Sricha green beans? (two of my favorite things, and you brilliantly combined them. You are a genius in my book.)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Rebecca, my dear, that looks delicious!! But you have to admit, taking pics as you go is, well, a little off center. :laugh:

Still, if you're cookin', I'll be there!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Rebecca, Absolutly looks great!! Love the last 2 pictures!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    looks great. tell your sister to stay home.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rebecca,

Really nice! Love saambal oelek. Just making brown rice and red beans, going for the cupboard right now.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WAYKM?? That's "What, are you kidding me??" I will happily come over and take pictures for you next time.

Nice knife work there, Rebecca. And I hope you went to town pounding the meat out. (Stress reduction is one of the reasons for pounding meat, so they say!) It looks really good. Whats the meat marinade?

As usual, your pictures are excellent.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Scott, that's a deal. You're invited over if you're ever in Ohio. :)

The green beans were prepared Sichuan / Szechwan style with a sichuan paste garlic, ginger, and soy.

Yes, I vacuum sealed the foodsaver bag, on the moist and gentle setting with a long 'lead' of plastic bag, so as not to get liquid all over the foodsaver machine. I feel that it really allows the marinade to stick to the meat. I slathered each piece of meat in the marinade before puttin in the bag.
  • Rebecca I was just wondering what your recipe is for the Korean marinade?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Very nice Rebecca, just let me know, I will come take the photos! :laugh:
  • Good Evening Michael, I want you to know, the only picture I took while my sister was here was the last pic! She called me right before leaving her house, so I put the meat on the barbie while she was in transit. She lives a few minutes away. The other photos were prep photos taken last night. I am such a sister abuser.......making her sit through one lousy photo.

You have a standing invitation if you're ever in the area....but no b*%@$ing about pics. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Thanks Sista! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • if my alcohol besotted memory is even slightly funtioning ? i have a vague recollection of cooking your korean beef at the sunshine fest, while you and LC prepped.. i remember because i did not have tongs to flip the meat.. it was so good it was worth the burnt fingers...
    would you like me to 'splain' things to your sister , i have a way with words.
    and what sharp knife did you use ?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I could eat that :whistle::whistle:
    I'll have to try one of those korean marinades soon that looks great.
  • Stike, don't worry, the next time I invite her over, she'll ask if I'm taking pics. I guarantee you she won't come over if I reply in the affirmative.

I wasn't suprised when she said she was inquring about becoming a member of your fan club. :laugh:

Maybe you can bestow the WTF award upon her???
  • Sure hope Norma allows you to take some pics Steven!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Looks really good, Rebecca! If it tastes anything like your version in Florida it was terrific. Well, sometimes, as in your sister's case, people don't understand our penchant/need for the photos...... :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    And good evening to you as well, Rebecca! :) I didn't mean to imply that you were abusing your sister - just that taking pics of cooks is a little weird. :laugh: Come on, you KNOW it is!! :laugh:

Still, next time I'm in Dayton...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great lookin' meal! My wife gives me so much grief about taking pictures. She gets annoyed when I make her take the pics for me, but then she also gets annoyed when there is bbq sauce and pork fat all over her Nikon...so I told her she is just going to have to choose :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Faith, I've got the meat pounding down to a science, but it's still rather tedious. At least at the eggfests there have always been others around to keep me more than entertained.

Here's a link to the marinade, it is yummy:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=812012&catid=1#
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    funny bill,, I think I was holding the flashlight so I could be in the front of the line :laugh:
  • you were not that either of us would remember ..
  • Terry, this is the marinade I really like. It freezes well.

2 - 3 heads of garlic, cloves peeled and smashed
    1/4 cup miced ginger
    8 green onions, cleaned, each one cut into 3 pieces
    1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
    6 fresh green chiles chopped
    2-3 fresh pear, quartered and cored
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup sweet rice wine
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1. Combine everything in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 3 hours or more. Cool.
    2. puree in a food processor.
  • Why thank you very much Captain Frank! :)

Looks as if I'll have to wait about 6 months for your return to the north.
  • bill, as I correctly recollect (being the only sober egger at that fest) your fingers were numb from the peppers you prepped without gloves and your nociceptors were dulled from your beverage intake. :woohoo: However, I shall always remember your prep help! :)

I used my Ken Onion chefs knife.
  • Well, you could have Pat.......except I gave about 8 lbs of it to RichardFL. I figured 8 lbs wouldn't have been enough for you! :laugh:
  • pepper prep was friday night .. the same night as the picture of you drinking out of the wine bottle ..
    beverage intake saturday was an issue ;)
    it was a privalge to be your sous
    crash time here
  • John, it was every bit as good as in Florida. You are absolutely correct, the muggles just don't understand the egghead rule, "if there are no pics, it didn't happen". :laugh:

mmmmmmmmm, a Georgia fest in May. Better look at my calander.
  • SmokeyPitt, I like that.....blackmail! :woohoo: