Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump/Ouch

2»

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    My friend is a dealer. He brought in another brand much lower in price. He said his customers walked past it like it was poison to get BGE lump. When he told them to try it, they didn't want to. So he gladly sells only BGE lump.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    get it from my dealer for about $15/bag

Wonder what dealer cost is. Freight is probably what drives it up higher in some place. My dealer buys it in almost truckload quantities for his many stores. brings it into one location and then uses his trucks to distribute to his other stores
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Me too.

Well, it started off at $6 a bag at Food City. It has risen steadily since then until it's now almost $9 a bag.

FWIW, Full Circle is also packed by Royal Oak just like they do for BGE. Good stuff, imo.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I get Fire King for $8 for 20 pounds. At $30 a bag I would be getting rid of the Eggs. :(
    Not, just have to start making my own.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    GG,
    First, I hope you're doing well and it's nice to see you posting on a regular basis.

I do have royal oak as most of you do but being as I made the drive for the chunks thought why not grab a bag.

Just to stupid to look at the price, no wonder is was not right out in front. :whistle:

Will mix with the royal oak and see what other cheap lump I can find. :unsure:

Thanks again GG,
    Bordello
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Heh...I think that half the lump on the market is RO with a different label on it. It seemed similar, now I know why.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks for that info, Doug, but I thought the mandatory 100% mark up only applied to eggs and most eggcessories. I did not know it also covered BGE lump charcoal. So doing the math backwards then I assume if BBQ Galore has to sell it for $30 then BGE charged them $15 yet Royal Oak who made the lump charged BGE $7.50, which only cost Royal Oak $3.75! And all along the line everybody is making a handsome profit! Boy-o-boy what a screwing takes place in the delivery process!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I saw it for 32 in town last week... everywhere else I've look here is ~30 as well...

:(
    context is important :)
  • Bought six bags of Ozark Oak for $6/10lb bag Saturday. The stuff is made about 75 miles from here so the cost to transport is looowwww!

I agree with the Whiz that this stuff is great.

I am so spoiled. ;)
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    I bought a bag of BGE lump for $18.99 at my local Ace Hardware. The clerk said that was the price BGE Headquarters suggested. He did note that several people got on their cell phones to notify other eggheads when they saw that price.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    That $29.99 would get me just over 55 pounds of RO Steakhouse at Menards. I just picked up a dozen bags yesterday. With tax, it's 54 cents a pound!

fc
  • Ron, I worded that badly. What I was saying is that BGE sets a price and the retailer applies some markup. Without knowing the two figures, you can't blame either one. Also, if BGE sets a mandatory markup, that would come into play also. But if BGE sells it to the retailer for a high price and the retailer applies a low markup, it's BGE's fault that the price is so high. If BGE sets a low price and the retailer marks it up enormously, then it's the retailer's fault.

Bottom line is you can't blame either one without knowing both numbers. I have no idea what BGE's policies are regarding dealers.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    My dealer sells for $17.00 per #20 bag. Lowes sells Cowboys for I think $6.89 for an #8 bag. About the same price, BGE much better. I have not bought a bag from the dealer in a few months, hope the price has not gone up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks Bob, I hope things are going well with you.

Be well. Kent
  • BullyQue
    BullyQue Posts: 48
    I was told that Royal Oak makes the lump for most brands. Green Egg and Royal Oak puts the larger lump in their bags and the smaller goes in the cheaper brands.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    While I apparently touched a nerve somehow, my point was intended to be something along the lines of - - - if I put my name on something (as BGE has), I'd be sure to have some influence over the price at which it is sold. $30 or so is high enough to seem unreasonable to many. Sorry if it came across differently.