Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New outdoor kitchen (lots of pics)

troutman
troutman Posts: 498
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I started with this in February:

Before_BBQ_Island020.jpg

Now I have this in August (finally):

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010011.jpg

Four-inch poured concrete countertops (black, but they are a bit dirty since it stormed last night). Power burner for wok to the left of the Eggs, double burner on right, cold water sink:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010003.jpg

Trash bin and lots of storage:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010002.jpg

Made a depression in the counter for a removable trivet:

Outdoor_kitchen_trivet002.jpg

Outdoor_kitchen_trivet001.jpg

Some more views:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010004.jpg

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010007.jpg

Close up of the Egg support. I didn't measure very well because the design was intended to have the Eggs sitting on the stainless steel angle iron that was embedded into the concrete. The grates were too low so I raised them 4 inches by adding the pavers. Nice air gap under the pavers, but it would have been nicer if the air gap was under the Eggs.

EggMount001.jpg

The stainless steel pegboard is proving to be a wonderful addition. The fan blows smoke away from the house:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010006.jpg

Added an outdoor pantry for charcoal, wood chips, and other stuff:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010005.jpg

If you are still interested, here is some of the details about the process. Steel frame, ready for the forms for the countertop:

Feb102010001.jpg

Feb272010001.jpg

Forms are almost ready for the poured concrete, just need a bit more re-bar and rounded corners on the interior. If you are going to pour a concrete top like this, don't forget to round all the corners.

Feb192010003.jpg

If you mess up the first countertop you pour, this is what you have to do. Very disheartening, and causes a lot more work and long delays. Ugh.

BBQ_Island_redo_Mar252010003.jpg

I found someone that knows what they are doing to pour the countertop for me. There is a lot of manual work to cure the concrete properly, polish it, and seal it. Here is what happens when you polish the concrete top:

BBQ_Countertop_polish__April_26_2010005.jpg

If you want a sink in your outdoor kitchen, don't forget to run your drain pipe and water supply lines before you pour the initial slab. I did, so it ends up looking like this:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010012.jpg

Finally, I added some thick sunscreen over the top of the arbor to keeps the suns rays off the countertop. Concrete retains heat exceptionally well, and this is Arizona, so I didn't need a big black heater all around me while cooking.

But, after all this labor and angst, you end up with something like this:

Outdoor_Kitchen_Finished_Aug_2010010.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments