Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights cook: Hacked Chicken Mole

Options
Vincent Chase
Vincent Chase Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Another Bobby Flay recipe for me, my girlfriend, and some special friends of ours. As the title says, I made a 'hacked' chicken mole that was basted with a habanero-cilantro butter and was plated with home made pickled red onions on top, a tomatillo-green onion guacamole and yellow rice. I also did a sweet potato and roasted plantain soup (that probably didn't make a lot of sense with the warmer weather today), with a smoked-chile crema and red chile oil. I also took a ripe plantain lengthwise to my mandolin and then fried the piece for 60 seconds, which I added to the soup for a garnish. I'm so pissed I didn't get a picture of it plated! Personally I didn't quite care for the finished product of the soup, but it looked awesome. I forgot to mention the soup was another recipe out of Flay's 'Mesa Grill Cookbook', and it came really damn close to looking like the picture.

All in all, minus the soup, I thought everything came out well. Everyone really seemed to like the finished products (even the soup) which I'm thankful for. Like my last cook, this was way labor intensive. I made a homemade chicken stock for the soup, spent too much time on the garnishes/oils, and pickled, roasted, pureed, reduced, grilled, and fried a lot of stuff today. AZRP mentioned in my last post that the cooks that take all day are his favorite, and I couldn't agree more.

Because I was so busy, I only got a picture of the plated dinner. The Egged portion of the dinner was the chicken thighs and legs, which I had indirect on the egg at around 375 until the internals were met. Very juicy, which is no surprise when the Egg is involved.

You can find the recipe for everything here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/05/earlyshow/contributors/bobbyflay/main6462369.shtml

ChickenMole.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Vincent - Nice looking cook! And yes, sounds like it was a bunch of work, but looks to be well worth it! ;) Nice going.

Lived on Pearl Street in Springfield while attending STCC many (many) years ago. Small world. :)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I've made mole on the egg too, used Bayless's red mole recipe. Good stuff, but you're right...lots of work.
    Nice pic.
  • Vincent Chase
    Vincent Chase Posts: 149
    Options
    LC - Small world indeed! Are you originally from the Western MA area? I grew up in Agawam (which everyone knows as the home to Riverside/Six Flags NE), and bought my first house in Springfield last October. Some areas here have gotten pretty bad, sadly, but I'm situated near Western New England College which is a nice part of town I think. I too took some classes at STCC and am thinking about returning in the fall to finish up (only did two years of undergrad, unfortunately).

Boilermaker Ben - I've been a huge Rick Bayless fan since I saw him win TC Master's last season. He basically won that final competition on the strength of that Oaxcan black mole that he said had taken nearly 30 years for him to get right. I think I have stumbled across a red mole recipe of his on site and will have to give it a go at some point. And since I'm a growing foodie, a trip to Chicago is in order sooner rather than later - I'm thinking Frontera Grill, Alinea, and Table52 would make good options.

Thanks for the kind words guys!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Vincent, your mole looks delicious. I really like how you plated the meal. Nice pic. I agree that Bobby Flay and Rick Bayless produce some awesome recipes. Don't forget to dine at Topolobampo, as well as, Frontera Grill....it has some more obscure things on the menu with which I was unfamiliar.