Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Upside Down Crisp

Options
JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight, I made an Apple Upside Down Crisp on the BGE after the steaks were done.

I used my cast iron skillet, sprinkled a little brown sugar and I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Spray in the bottom, then layered sliced/peeled/cored Granny Smith Apples with a little cinnamon and sugar. I topped it with a box of Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix, some oatmeal, and a drizzle of butter. I baked it direct at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Here it is just before it went on the Egg:
828047b4.jpg

Fresh off the Egg:
532965c4.jpg

Flipped and ready to serve:
5d337745.jpg

Next time, I will leave it in a little longer and maybe add some nuts for added crunch. The apples were like apple pie, but the crisp wasn't as crispy as I would have liked. But, it was VERY good!

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Dear Mrs. Julie,
    My question is, Oh I'm going to be in trouble here, I see it coming. :(

How or what did you use to flip it??? :)

Thanks and it look great even though I don't normally do things like that. Guess that's why I'm on the "Thing side" :whistle:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    That looks really good! I'm going to try this for sure!

What size skillet did you use on the egg? I ask because I'm looking at buying a CI skillet soon and not sure what size to get for an "all purpose" type skillet.
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    I will measure the skillet tonight to be sure, but it seems like it is a 10 inch skillet.

If you put a large plate/platter on the top of the skillet, you can flip it over and the cake will be on the serving plate ready to roll. Easy stuff!

Thanks!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You might take a look at some recipes for Tarte Tatin for ideas. Similar idea with pie crust instead of crumb topping. Here's one I saw on the food network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/tarte-tatin-recipe/index.html
    The Naked Whiz
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Now that sounds like an awesome recipe! (I'm not sure I can afford the calories, but it certainly SOUNDS great!)

Thanks!
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Jasper wrote:
    That looks really good! I'm going to try this for sure!

What size skillet did you use on the egg? I ask because I'm looking at buying a CI skillet soon and not sure what size to get for an "all purpose" type skillet.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been a little under the weather. My skillet is 12 inches in diameter, but 18 inches from handle end to grip end on the other side--perfect for the Large BGE.