Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outback Steak Not Up To Par

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had to use the Outback Steakhouse gift card soon so Spring Hen and I thought steak would be good.

I ordered the largest rib eye, medium rare. It was horrible compared to what I can cook on the Egg at half the price.

Maybe the next time someone gives us a steak-house gift card we'll just pass it on to someone who appreciates mediocre food.

Spring "Best In The House Is No Longer Good Enough" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I couldn't agree more Leroy :ohmy: ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm, I have one of those. They EXPIRE?! I never had a gift card that expired before.

I wonder if they will just sell me raw meat. Anyone ever try that? Couple of prime strips would be good. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I ate there once and it was not what I thought. I would rather do my steak on the egg.

Patti
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Michael,it's quite common for giftcards to expire or have some fees if not used by a certain time :ohmy: I agree,I'd rather have the raw meat then eat there :woohoo: ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Best steak is Outback my sliding glass doors ;) but they do make a pretty good onion :laugh:
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    It used to be that you couldn't get prime cuts at a grocery store ... at least in my experience. So, eating at a good steakhouse was a treat. However, with access to good meats now, I totally agree that you can cook a much better steak on your Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just checked - my card doesn't expire. Cool. I think I'll ask if I can just buy "the raws". :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• :sick: ain't that the truth...we ate at Lone Star Steakhouse on the road to DC -- 2 of us sent ours back; I took them up on another NOT to be covered until orange in knockoff Lawry's seasoned salt -- still couldn't eat it, and neither could son...
    moral of the story -- chicken strips for road food :blink:
  • Spring Chicken
    I'm not sure about the gift card expiring. It was the free Blooming Onion for Veterans that was to expire at the end of the month. We've had the card since Christmas and figured to use it now rather than later to take advantage of the Blooming Onion. Saved $6.

Spring "Put Myself Through Misery To Save Six Dollars" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I don't need Prime to cook a good steak. I just need a good steak. I've often found Select and Choice steaks that were extremely good, even when on sale.

Spring "Cheap Meat Does Not Always Mean Cheap Meat" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I don't send 'em back. I just dont' come back.

Spring "Color Me Gone" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    The first three or four bites of the Blooming Onion are the best. Then they tend to start overpowering my grease sensors.

Spring "Sensing Gastric Trouble Ahead" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I ate there a few times before we got our Egg back in 1999 but only once or twice since then. Not really my cup 'a tea. They should apologize at the door coming in and again going out.

Spring "Truth In Business" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Agreement is when two people don't disagree. Disagree is when one person doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Thanks for agreeing. LOL

Spring "I Always Know What I'm Not Talking About" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I didn't think about that. Maybe the meat was good but the cooking of it was terrible. I'll remember that next time and just order raw meat to go.

I asked Texas Roadhouse if the steaks in the display case at the entrance could be purchased. They said No. Said it's because of legal reasons: Once sold they can't control what happens to the meat and someone may sue after they claim they got sick from it.

Sounds like BS to me.

Spring "BS Runs Rampant When Legal Concerns Arise" Chicken
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    We had a gift card to Longhorn, and I thought the same thing. I got the filet and lobster. The lobster was very good, but the filet was too done (ordered medium rare, but came more like medium+), and was not very tender.

We still enjoyed a night out without the kids, and no dishes. We were celebrating my wife's birthday, so we had a nice desert for free.

It's good to see how good egged food is!
  • Spring Chicken
    Tell her happy birthday.

Spring "Not All Steak Houses Serve Good Steak" Chicken
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Sorry. I was talking about pre-Egg and relatively cheap meats. Going to Ruggle's was a taste treat as I recall. I bet I could outdo them now. :)

Besides, Outback, Saltgrass, etc. are not considered great steakhouses. To be fair, an Egger should compare his steaks with Ruggles, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Sullivan's, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Leroy, we have the same problem as pertains to steaks.
    We will still go to Outback (we are constantly receiving gift cards), or other steak houses; we just don't order the steaks. This way the waitstaff and the other patrons don't have to listen to us grouse about the meat we were served and we still get something good.
  • Spring Chicken
    Good thinking. I think I'll just order fish and dessert next time.

Spring "Sometimes Fish Is The Better Choice In A Steakhouse" Chicken
  • AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    That's the luck we have every time with their rib eye steaks. When we have to go there we buy a hamburger and split it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    There are only a couple of places we can go anymore for steak that I can say are superior to what I can do on the Egg. This is one. If in STL, I highly recommend it. Others, not so much.
  • Grill Man
    Grill Man Posts: 12
    :laugh: I feel your pain. Worst food in town. Try ordering high end steaks from Kansas City Steak Company and then cook at home. Best steak in town.

:)
  • You are right Leroy, you can't beat the Egg

Ross
  • Spring Chicken
    Wish I had ordered the burger. But then I would not have been reminded of just how much better my Egged steaks are.

Spring "Sometimes The Burger Is The Best Item On The Menu" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    It has been 27 years since I was in St. Louis. AB was a big customer and we would meet for lunch at the Halfway House. I think that was what it was called.

The story was that the Busch family wanted a convenient place to enjoy lunch when going to the brewery by carriage so they built the place with all the opulence they were accustomed to. The ceiling was fantastic, I recall. So was the food.

A little known fact at the time was that Anheuser-Busch was one of the smallest railroads in the country, having only about 15 miles of track. However, their track happened to cross the Mississippi River. Therefore, all east and west bound trains had to pay them for use of the track. They made a lot of money from their little railroad.

They also developed and produced the first refrigerated railcar.

St. Louis is loaded with interesting history, a favorite topic of mine.

Thanks for the tip.

Spring "Nothing Like A Little History To Bring Up The Past" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Years ago I ordered some KC steaks and they were good. Ordered some more later on and they were terrible, so I stopped. Now when I want really good meat I go to my local meat market. But now-a-days I just get what's on sale and cook it on the Egg.

The Egg makes up for the lesser quality of meat.

Spring "Bad Made Good, Good Made Better" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    I had a feeling you would say that. LOL

Spring "Predicting The Predictable" Chicken
  • I wonder if when asked how you want it cooked you replied I would just like it raw. Then ask for a doggie bag after some soup and salad. :)

"How would you like your steak prepared sir" :kiss:

"Just clip the horns and wipe it's farache." :whistle:

I seldom order meat of any kind when we go out. Usually seafood, soup and salad, or a pasta dish.

Been trying all the seafood soups at various seafood houses around here - pretty good "ciopino like" dishes.
  • Spring Chicken
    That's a good idea. Then I don't have to suffer.

Spring "Having Dead Cow On The Menu Doth Not Assure A Good Steakhouse" Chicken