Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table is finished - at last

Matt_inSC
Matt_inSC Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I decided on a rainy weekend to build my table. Got the whiz's instructions and had the table together that day. Then came the finishing which took me many many weeks. But at last it's done.
The materials were 2x4 and 2x6 for frame with Southern Yellow Pine for the two decks. A piece of travertine tile on top and slate tiles for egg surface.
The finish is one coat of stain (Early American), three coats of spar urethane on all surfaces with six coats on top.
Next item will be to add a light somehow.

Also, I now have a nest and cover for a large that I'd love to sell. If you know of anyone in the market point 'em my way.

Uncovered
table_uncovered.jpg

Covered (so I can protect those six coats of spar urethane ;) )
table_covered.jpg

Table with storage unit - quickly realized I needed somewhere to keep all of my accessories, charcoal, etc.
table_storage.jpg

Comments

• Nice work. Are you going to put the feet under the Egg? Is that a paver or a tile that it is sitting on?

I know it must be there somewhere, but I can't see the bottle opener. B)
  • I planned to use the feet originally but then learned that many use them under the pizza stone - so I'm hanging on to those for that. I only needed a small riser for the egg (to have the hinge clear the upper deck) so I cut three strips of 1/4" backer board (about 2" wide). Those provided just enough space.
  • By backer board, do you mean like a cement based board? From the pics, it looks like the Egg is sitting on a large tile. I would be concerned over the tile conducting heat through to the wood underneath even if there is cement based backer board underneath. If it is simply a large tile, I would be concerned with the tile cracking. Most folks use a thick paver as well as the feet to provide a space between the Egg and the concrete paver.

The table came out real nice and your turkey looked mightyfine. B)
  • Yes, the backer board is the cement board used with tile. This happens to be 1/4" thick. You can't quite see the backer board in the pic but you can see the slate tiles. That's standard tile (from HD) that are glued (using thinset) to a 1/2" thick piece of backer board. And that backer board is glued (thinset) to a piece of 3/4" plywood. The slate/backerboard/plywood piece is all removeable in case I need to replace it. We'll see how it does over time.
    Maybe I should go ahead and get the feet in there to create that air space.
  • Nice...looks great!

We built the same table. Where did you get your cover?

Thanks!
  • It's a Big Green Egg brand cover - made for a Large or XL egg in the BGE long table (which is 58" long). My table is maybe an inch longer and a couple taller but cover fits well. I couldn't locate a cover around home but travel to south FL each week with work and picked up the cover down there.
    One gripe/question I have with it though is over the vent. I'll get a pic and post a new thread but the vent is designed to shed water as it comes down vertically and allow air flow out. But the vent essentially sits flat (horizontal) on my cover/table and water is getting in when it rains. I may have to come up with something that will sit on that end of the table and hold the cover up to keep the vent vertical. In retrospect I'd consider the plain vinyl one although I like the feel of the vented material more. We'll see...
  • Looks Great.
    Go to your dealer and see if they will give you credit for your nest if it's in great shape.Maybe trade for charcoal or accessories
  • Is that a threaded rod serving as an axle for your wheels?

I have some big ole 9" tires for my table and was hoping that a couple of carraige bolts would do the trick.
  • No. The plans called for threaded rod but my dad pointed out that wheels would do better on a plain steel rod. Overkill as I don't plan on wheeling it much but I got a piece of plain steel rod at HD, cut to length, filed the rough ends, and drilled a hole in each end for the cotter pin. The drilling of the holes was way easier than I thought with a newish bit.
  • Very nice table I like the storage unit idea