Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

40 # of boston butts on a large !!! (long)

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did it, but not without trials and tribulations :laugh:

I offered to provide pulled pork at two surgery outpatient centers where I was working today and tomorrow. They had both been bugging me to bring something I cooked, and well, at about 35-40 employees per center, pulled pork seemed the easiest thing to do. My group decided to pick up the tab, to include purchased slaw, cobbler and beans (I just couldn't do it all).
Unfortunately, the employees here don't look like the ones at Bordello's pub). :( :evil:

I purchased 42 1/4 pounds of pork in 6 pieces (2 were 9-10# and the rest smaller).

They were to go on the large egg Saturday night, to finish and be pulled Sunday, after SS and church (or so I thought :ohmy: ). Oh, BTW, we hosted a supper club of 3 other couples Saturday at our house, with me cooking rack of lamb. Real smart, huh? Plan: Small to 650*, sear the lamb. Small (very small) amount of lump in large and temp at 350*. Seared lamb went on large to roast - perfect. Then turned large up high to burn off the small amount of lump. Closed down right after dinner and worked great. Very little lump left in large and cool enough to empty coals and build new fire for the butts.
Injected all butts thoroughly with Cajun Butter and Garlic marinade. Then covered all over with "Rebel Rub", a local paprika heavy rub.

TJV 's plan: Lump to just under the spider. 14" BGE pizza stone on spider with 14" tjv, foil wrapped round drip pan on stone. Adustable rig with grid on lowest setting and original BGE grid on top.
Here are first three butts on lower grid. BBQ Guru probe in smallest butt and Maverick in next smallest one:
DSC_0268.jpg
Two large butts and squeezed the third on the top grid. Problems immediately appeared. Dome temp probe was not going to work. And front-most butt was touching against dome. Multiple re-adjustments were futile in improving so I went with this. Also couldn't find a good place for Guru grid probe, so I put in through Daisy wheel and set temp for 250*. Wicked Good charcoal with 4 large lumps of dry hickory throughout lump. Paper towel/oil starters (3).
Here is the "money shot" - 40 # butt on a large BGE: (Hoss - I told you I could do it): :woohoo: :woohoo:
DSC_0271.jpg
Set the Maverick remote at the bedside. Woke at 4 am and everything was good. Got up at 7 am and the probe indicated 203* for one butt. Lifted top grid out (>25#) and removed the first 2 that were done.
DSC_0273.jpg
DSC_0274.jpg
This is what the front one looked like then - noticed it wasn't making much bark, since it was touching the front of the dome.
DSC_0272.jpg
Left it like that until about 8:45 when the last lower level butt was done, then moved the thinnest top one down to the lower level.
2 pm two more were ready: (Note one on the lower level).
DSC_0277.jpg
Great bark:
DSC_0279.jpg
Even the one with the early poor bark looks good:
DSC_0280.jpg
The last one was done between 5:30 and 6:00 pm Sunday.
Pulling that much pork was "murder". I don't know how Pete (Celtic Wolf) does it for those troop cooks. :woohoo: More power to him and his crews. :laugh:
Final product going into frig:
DSC_0281.jpg
After pulling I added small amounts of Rebel Rub and Dizzy Dust plus a liberal sprinkling of apple juice. When re-warming, added 50/50 mixture water and apple juice.

The employees raved about the taste of the pork. One nurse volunteered it was the best meal they had ever had at that center. I guess that what keeps us doing this, despite the hard work!

Thanks to all who helped with advice and encouragement.

Comments