Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice Dophin

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This baby is going to taste good in Ocala. It was my turn but I let my son Kyle take it.

001-11.jpg

003-18.jpg

LC, I'll bring the sea bass but you are gonna have to cook it

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Steve...is that a Mahi Mahi?? Dophin Fish ?? FELICIDADES Kyle
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Steven that looks good! You guys had some fun it looks like! See you in a few days :) Julie
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    stevie. ...dats one nice looking fish. ..grill dat baby up with a little "shaking the tree"!!. ..yummy!!! ...

as for sea bass, i sure wish i was there with my steamer baskets, i'd do you up some "hong kong sea bass". ..fantastic!!
  • Bootleg
    Bootleg Posts: 49
    Options
    Catching one of those on light tackle with a spinner reel!!! Good times and Great oldies!!!

Bootleg
    Evans, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    nice fish, much funner catching it than buying it even though it always seems to cost more catching it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Max,

Is Sydey doing better. Give her our love we have been worried sick.
    On the sea bass thing Richard FL just left and he offered to bring bring a steamer basket.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Beli,

I've heard mahi mahi and Dorado. I don't know what the proper name

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    fishlessman,

It would have been a lot more fun on lighter tackle. Still took fifteen minutes to boat it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    she continues to improve.. ..shoot me a quick email if you get a chance max@mitre.org . ..

as for the sea bass. .. do you know that recipe? ...if not here you go ...

in a cold wok. .. put in 3/4 cherry 1/4 soy soy sauce. ..soak your steamer baskets in water so they won't burn ... in the steamer baskets, lay in a big bed of fresh spinach leaves. .. lay sea bass fillets on top of the spinach, with slivers of scallions and fresh ginger on top of that....stick the steamer baskets in the cold ok, and put the whole thing in the egg over a hot fire. ...after about 20 minutes check the fish to see if its 'flaking'. .. if not give it about 5 more minutes ...also check to make sure there is still liquid in the wok. ..if not, add some more cherry to the wok.....when the fish is done, platter it with the wilted spinach and pour the remaining liquid from the wok over it. .. yummy in your tummy!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    about a nine weight winston fly rod would have been nice. i tried to get a 25 foot baskin to inhale a fly once, i have a friend that wont come fishing with me anymore :laugh: would definatly like to try for those sometime, can only find fillets around here and i like them steaked better.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Both are the same mi amigo......just the most delicious fish you can get..... caught one a while back in Baja.....cooked it in coconut cream.......probably you saw it hanging going up the stairs at home.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Nice job Steven & son....someone is going to be eating good in Ocala... :lol:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I call dibs on a little sliver from back toward Kyle's right hand.

Looks like you had a great trip out. A fish like that will give you memories for a long time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That is a nice looking fish, nothing like some mahi mahi at the fest. -RP
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I just happen to be grillin Mahi tonight. My other favorite is pompano.

Nice catch Steven
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I just called LC, she is eggcited about the sea bass. BTW, how do you like your Mahi?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Glad Sydney is doing well. I just printed your recipe for steve and have the wok, steamer and wok ring ready for Ocala.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Man, I don't think they have fish that big in Caledon!
    Looks like you are having a great vacation!
    By the way...Sunny and 16c today. Spring is on the way up here, my friend. Spring is on the way!
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Nice fish!! Now if only i could get to taste it!! :unsure:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sea bass!! :woohoo: I'll be HAPPY to cook it for you!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: I'll even cook it WITH you if you want! :woohoo: Did you say Sea Bass??? :woohoo: :woohoo: I'm so excited I think I'm panting like a dog!!! :woohoo:
    Michelle
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Looks like Kyle kicked butt..er...fin! Great job! Yall are cooking next to me,right?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Little Chef,

They were pretty small, there is only about a pound and a half, so long as I can taste they're yours.
    Have about the same as snapper. May catch some redfish tomorrow. No Pompano today but we are going to try again tonight.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Todd,

It was my turn. I let him have it and I'm happy I did, or I was, now not so much ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

Got an idea it will be used up in Ocala :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Bootleg,

Wish it was on light tackle. Still fought pretty good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks for posting these . . .I had some at a restaurant on the Lake Worth pier quite a few years ago
    and thought is was great.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Thanks Steven!! :woohoo: :woohoo: I'm so excited...really...you have no idea!!! :woohoo:
    Were the little bass left whole??
    I understand you are fishing with Pat tomorrow?? Some Indian River stuff I assume if you are going for Reds!! They are a blast to catch!! :laugh: Hope you guys do well, and the rain stays away. Give us an update! Hope you hooked into some Pompano tonight!
    Michelle
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Yummy, Now go catch some more! :laugh:
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Steve i have never cooked sea bass. It is a very nice fish i hear. So to keep the real taste i would cook lightly with just salt and pepper then maybe add some citrus to it at the end before pulling it. :unsure:
    that is all i can think of...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    LC,

They were, shall we say, barely legal :whistle: , To leave them whole may have been a problem.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON