Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner for 100

Options
Slick
Slick Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought us a cooking lesson for Valentine's day from a chef who was the personal assistant to Julia Childs for four years. She is now a chef for a very expensive summer camp here in Maine and offers classes in the winter. We took one on sauces.

Anyhow, we met a lady there who volunteers with a local hospice and she mentioned that they had a volunteer appreciation dinner every spring and were looking for ideas for the main course. One of my favorites is stuffed pork loin cooked on the Egg, and she liked the sounds of it. We invited a couple of the volunteers over for dinner to let them try it, and after a great meal and a few bottles of wine, I had volunteered to cook stuffed pork loin for 100 people!

I've done them (as others have here) a variety of ways, but I'm partial to bacon and sauerkraut. This combination seems to keep the pork moist and tender and has great flavor.

I used six whole boneless loins, each cut in half for easier handling. Here's some pics of the process:

This is the loin opened up.

DSCN0260.jpg

Next is a layer of thick cut bacon.

DSCN0261.jpg

Here's the layer of sauerkraut.

DSCN0262.jpg

Layer of brown sugar.

DSCN0263.jpg

Rolled, tied, and ready to cook

DSCN0264.jpg

Here's where it got interesting. I think I figured out the maximum capactiy of a Large. Six at a time on the Egg. If I had planned better and had a whole day to cook, I would have preferred to do two or three at a time. Being the procrastinator that I am, this was my only choice. Pulled at 135 internal, vacuum sealed and refrigerated. This was done the night before the event. We warmed them whole, then cut to serve.

DSCN0258.jpg

Here they are plated with some stir fry veggies and rice, with a drizzle of a balsamic reduction sauce.

DSCN0265.jpg

While it was a lot more work than I anticipated, everyone seemed to enjoy it and the plates came back clean.

Slick

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    That looks great. The bad news is my wife doesn't like sauerkraut.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Slick, where in Maine are you? We are up on the coast just below Bangor. I hope that is good Morse's sauerkraut. http://www.morsessauerkraut.com/ We used to have to go to Brunswick about every other week and at least once a month we would pick some up. Hubby can eat it right out of the container. It is that good!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    We live in Readfield, just outside of Augusta.

No, this wasn't Morse kraut, but I can and do get it from Ballard's in Manchester.

Tom, I've served this to people who swore they hated kraut until they taste this. The brown sugar changes the whole character.

I posted this kraut recipe a couple of months ago. I't amazing what butter and brown sugar can do for a dish. If you make it with balsamic, it's even sweeter.

can kraut, drained
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar (if you don't have dark, add a tsp. of molasses)
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 cup water
    1 T butter
    1 medium onion

Bring the kraut, sugar, vinegar, and water to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1-1.5 hours. Chop the onion and brown well in the butter. After the kraut has simmered for at least an hour, remove the lid and boil off most of the liquid. Stir in the onion and serve.

Slick
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    nice cook and for a good cause. and thanks for posting saurkraut. my scapple posts did not seem to eggcite anyone so i figured there was not a lot of interest in Penna. dutch stuff. neither of the sons were home friday so i could cook just for me

small pork tenderloin smoked on yellow birch

a29fa852.jpg

put in the dutch oven on the egg for more smoke and slow cook

bcf386a2.jpg

dinner

f05bba31.jpg
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    SCRAPPLE wow! i haven't had that in years. unfortunately once you get out of the delaware valley region no one knows what scrapple is.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    here is some nostalgia for you

mini021.jpg

mini022.jpg

mini024.jpg

scrapple, sausage, cornmeal mush interleaved with buckboard bacon and wrapped in bacon

thighs042.jpg

thighs050.jpg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    bill......Thought double decker buses were biggggggggggggg but this is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!!!!!! and looks very tasty too...... :)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    how can you go wrong with 2 types of bacon scrapple and cornmeal mush [polenta]
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Bill:

I could eat it for breakfast. It's in the genes. Sorry I missed your post.

Lawn "Herr Schweitzer" Ranger