Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody cooking today?

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
16ribs.jpg
<p />It is a beautifull Sunday afternoon for Janurary. 60 and sunny. I haven't cooked ribs in awhile, don't want to forget how. So these are about 1 1/2 hours in.[p]Mike

Comments

• slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    I put this butt on last night about 10, it's getting into the plateau now, Hoping to eat around 6:30-7

Marty
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Just took off a 9# Pork butt.took picture and loaded to photobucket but do not know how to post.
    Pat (computer dumb) Poolman
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Me too Mike. Baby Backs went on about 12:15 after they had a quick dance with some mustard, Swamp Venom, and John Henry's Pecan Rub. They are 2:30 in now and getting ready for their first misting of apple juice and cider vinegar.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    It's another paella day for me. no pics this time as they all start to look the same and since I'm just using a cookbook I probably shouldn't post the recipe anyway.

Nice to see your famous ribs Mike!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Hey Mike - you're getting a few responses on the .net site -- just FYI. No one is ignoring you.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    B) wished I was but pouring rain. So I'm hold up watching football.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Yep, my brother (close to you, in St. Louis told me about the weather forecast there) Friday and we are supposed to get to the upper 70s again today....[p]

I'd like to... the only recipe I have noted is the 3-1-1.[p]Goes something like:
    3 hours at 250. 1 hour wrapped in foil. 1 hour indirect at 250-260*.[p]What do you think? Is the 3 hours indirect as well like you have picured?[p]What is the aluminum covering?[p]What mustard/rubs/DP, wood do you recommend?[p]I also have 2 more in the freezer - I'm thinking of doing two racks tonight then frigging/freezing/vacuum sealing what's left...[p]-Jeeves
  • Car Wash Mike
    copy the direct link. Hit the Img tag, paste the direct link, hit Img tag again. Then preveiw. Then post. HTH I think I need to be cooking a butt in the next few days.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Is that the skin? Looks like you scored it. Any real advantages?

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    My pics are about the same all the time anymore. Does that mean we know what wea are doing or afraid to try something different? :ermm:

Mike
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    You can just click the IMG tag in Photobucket and then copy it into the body of your message
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Car Wash Mike,
    I wonder why I can't see any of your pics. Any idea?
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Car Wash Mike
    I just posted there because it was easier for me. I can't open your first post. I have quite abit of trouble with opening some posts.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    My dome temp hasn't gotten above 230. The technique you posted should work fine. I usually don't foil but my quests coming over for the next game like fall off the bone, I might foil 1 slab.
    I use DP orginal with apple or cherry wood.
    I think bumping the temp up on the last 45 minutes-1 hour of my cook is what really makes the ribs tender.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey it works!!! Thanks to all. Will pull the pork in a bit & try to post pic's of the ABT's (stuffed with cream cheese & hot italion sausage)
    Thanks again Pat
  • Just started up a big pot of chili. Get the hot dogs ready. We should be eating by half time of the second game. Yeeee :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Halftime is the plan here as well. Giants looked good.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Sorry cookn biker, could open your post. :( Happens to me often on this site.

Mike
  • slyrye
    I did score it, a lesson off the pages of WessB's cooks page. Under his pulled pork. He says it allows the rub to penetrate the meat a little better. His tips usually provide real good results. I rubed this one with Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom, I'll let you know how it comes out.
    Marty
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Marty,

What size cooker are you using for the pork roast there? Is it a Small?

I'm still trying to convince myself I need another BGE. I've already got my sights on an XL for the EggFest, and am trying to justify an additional BGE smaller than my LBGE.

Thanks!
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Hi Mike

I just put a 7# and a 9# Boston butts on the grill. Jan is just finishing 2-3 doz drumettes. Great weather today. John and I were talking yesterday and mentioned that you were having good luck with a new lump. What are you using and where can it be purchased? ($--?) Have you heard from the post office?

Enjoy your ribs.
  • slyrye
    This is my Med. I started out with an XL and decided on a Med not long after. I use the med more than the xl, I looked at the small at the time but it was just too small for what i wanted to to with it. HTH
    Marty
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    A medium, eh? I'm looking at something to work with the LBGE at the moment.

Thanks!
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Not me...have been fighting a cold for over 10 days now...[p]I think I am just going to sit and have a few beers..
  • Car Wash Mike,
    I made a slab of babybacks last night. My best one's yet! I used a big 'ol honkin' chunk of cherry and a few smaller chunks of hickory. 3-1-1 method. Good stuff! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and dem ribs! Go Titans!

• Jeeves,
    Saludos my fellow Austinite! I did a slab of babybacks yesterday. Here's my 2cents: 3 hours indirect at 250, flip and turn every hour and spritz w/ a 50/50 mixture of apple juice & apple cider vinegar. Foil for an hour w/ a generous spritzing in the foil. Place meat side down during the foil hour so the meat sits in the juice/vinegar. last hour remove the foil and finish bone side down. You can go direct for the last hour but I'm usually too lazy to bother removing the platesetter. Oh yeah you'll also want to use a drip pan w/ a little bit of applejuice in it so the drippings from the ribs won't burn.
    I've found cherry to work very nicely with ribs. Yesterday I did mostly cherry with a little hickory. As far as a rub, I made my own Memphis style dry rub from a recipe I found on Whiz's site (In Wise One's big egg cookbook, if I recall correctly). Whatver rub you end up using make sure you coat the ribs with plain ol yellow mustard before you put the rub on. Good luck and enjoy that pork! Go Titans![p]

• We did scallops and shrimp for dinner,and while the Egg was still hot, I cooked four big fat boneless chicken breasts that had marinated in curry for a few hours, for my wife to cut up and take for work lunches this week. The weather was marvelous here in the DC area today.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Car Wash Mike,
    Yep, did some thighs yesterday in a T-shirt.
    Ya' gotta' love the Midwest. I'll take the ice and snow over mudslides, wild fires, and hurricanes any day.