Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for Christmas

Options
jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In all my endevors in life and cooking on the Egg, I have never done a prime rib simply too expensive. But due to the goodness of my heart and wallet, I am going to do one for Christmas. There will be 5 people at my house that eat beef. Will a four rib piece of meat do the job. I plan to do reverse sear with all the red juices running out when I put my knive to it. [p]MC Jerry

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    You can get standing rib roasts boneless or bone-in at Sams or Costco for real good prices. They usually run around $6.50 to $6.99 a pound. They are USDA Choice. I would go at least 6 bones so there is leftovers. Good luck to you and your family. Tom

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]I would think that would be plenty big.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    100_0875.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,
    We had a four rib for five of us last year and had plenty of leftovers so I would thing you should be safe. And, relax, the egg makes it easy. It was the first one we ever cooked and everyone raved.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Bajatom,
    conventional wisdom says one rib for every 2 servings, i agree with bahatom. go with one rib per person.
    a. left overs
    b. outside pieces for the 'well done' folks and rare in the middle.
    make knife slits into the meat and insert slivers of sliced garlic.
    i did a costco one for my ex and my ex-mother-in-law last year for christmas dinner so my sons could be with their grandmother. it was spectacular. merry christmas.
    bill

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    That looks really good. Did you reverse sear or not. [p]Jerry

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    dryaged.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,
    YES! Absolutely, you must do a rib roast. This is by far the best hunk of cow that I have ever had. It was way over priced and worth every penny.
    DSC00692.jpg
    It is a dry aged boneless ribeye that weighed in at 4lbs. The rub was Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. We fed 5 with plenty left over. Your wallet won't stand it every weekend, but for Christmas, go for it.

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Yes, we reverse seared it. Made a paste of herbs to rub all over. Will have to look up that recipe before the next one.
    Tom

• Jwirlwind,
    I have seen you post before and explain yourself as being a master chef. I am an on-line food critic and a huge fan of green eggs, but I have to stop and laugh at your question. Why would a master chef have never cooked a prime rib before?

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Darren McCloud,[p]I'm pretty sure he named himself and doesn't know what the title Master Chef really means. Of course I'm not a real Doctor either but I'm pretty sure everyone knows that.
    [ul][li]Master Chef info[/ul]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Fidel
    Options
    drbbq,[p]You're not a real doctor?
  • drbbq
    Options
    Fidel,[p]I'm Pre-Med.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • jwirlwind
    Options
    Darren McCloud,
    Most judges call themselves judges but we all know how that goes, some call themselves Doctors and we know how that goes too. lol
    I call myself a master chef cause I can. [p]Jerry Hubbard
    Master Chef

• jwirlwind
    Options
    drbbq,
    I didn't say I was a certified Master Chef. I can say one thing, I do have a card in my wallet that ceritfies me as a crane operator. Certified by NCCCO. Look up the web site
    NCCCO.com. [p]MC Jerry

• Fidel
    Options
    drbbq,[p]I thought you were pre-law
  • drbbq
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Yes, I am.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    most prime ribs are really choice grade, they call it prime because its from the better rib sections on the primal not the quality of the beef on a grading section. becareful when buying one. that said the choice ones are still very good and mostly cheap around here, 5 to 6 dollars a pound. go get some 2 bone pieces and practice a couple, i like the trex sear at the beginning as the juices seem to add a better flavor for me as they thicken during the roasting stage, i dont get the same thing reverse searing. as for quantity you want to see it when the butcher is cutting it as some have a very wide spacing between the bones and some the bones almost touch. cook them to med/rare and for those that want it more cooked, nuke theirs when no ones looking.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jwirlwind,[p]be careful when doing the reverse searing. I did this a few weeks ago, and I ruined my gasket!!!!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Aaaaahahahaha!! Obscure Animal House quote alert!!
  • Fidel
    Options
    Jeffersonian,[p]Nice to see someone caught that.