Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cote de boeuf ... sous vide and sear

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,146
edited May 25 in EggHead Forum
We had friends over last night to enjoy some Champagne with nibbles and then some reds with the meal. As the timing of dinner was vague to begin with (not wanting to rush the Champagne) I decided to sous vide the steak to hold it at temperature. Our friends turned up with an extra, unplanned bottle (shucks), so a good move on the sous vide. I ended up doing the sear about an hour after I thought I was going to. I then seared it in the MMX at 550F, coating it with butter (see below as to why). Served with a 2006 Ch. Feytit Clinet and 2016 Amon Ra. And, as usual, it was served with poutine. 😃

The MMX firing up (some bizarre chromatic aberration going on in the middle):

Searing the meat:

Carved:

Served. It didn’t have the usual level of smoke but there was some from the sear, I chest and coat the steak with a little butter which drips into the coals causing live flame for searing and then smoke when I close the dome.

Thanks for looking! 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,653
    Options
    That is one spectacular looking meal. Your plated pic 😋😋. Great post as usual!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sweet looking dinner, and not surprised that you paired it with high quality libations. 

For me, this has been one of the greatest assets of sous vide - leaving a generous margin for an undetermined serving time when hosting. Makes it seem effortless. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,904
    Options
    Great evening and exceptional cook, as always.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 702
    Options
    De beouf is lookin real buff. I like the casual timing approach, meshes well with a cook like that. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,305
    Options
    Killer cook and even better looking plate. Well done! 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Thanks folks. It was one heck of a night. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,035
    Options
    How did you feel this morning?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    How did you feel this morning?
    Absolutely fine 😃 I’m immune to hangovers for some reason. SWMBO … not so much. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,149
    Options
    Killer photos!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Options
    What a great looking meal! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,724
    Options
    Stunning pics but not unexpected.
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Stunning indeed. To channel my inner @paqman though, when are you going to give cheese curds a go, @foghorn? 🙃
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Stunning indeed. To channel my inner @paqman though, when are you going to give cheese curds a go, @foghorn? 🙃
    I really wish we could get cheese curds here. I need to use grated cheddar and mozzarella. It is possible to get curds but has to be in bulk. I guess there’s no consumer market for it here. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I really wish we could get cheese curds here. I need to use grated cheddar and mozzarella. It is possible to get curds but has to be in bulk. I guess there’s no consumer market for it here. 
    Despite your love of poutine, I’m guessing the bulk purchase will be far too much - even if frozen. Guess you’ll just have to make a trip to La Belle Province - Poutine’s birthplace.

Grated cheddar would be pretty clutch. In our household, we often use old cheddar in place of more mild cheeses for more flavour in our cheesy dishes. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,698
    Options
    I’m pretty sure cheese curds is a regional thing here in Quebec and Eastern Ontario.  I know it is a thing in Wisconsin too but it doesn’t feel the same.  It has to be fresh (24h) and never refrigerated otherwise it looses its « squeek ».  Small chunks of mozzarella could work too.

That côte de boeuf looks perfect!

Options
    Great cook and evening.

I'm not sure how my name got mentioned with cheese curds.  I've had them a couple of times.  They're fine.  But I've never made or served them or anything.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,769
    Options
    That looks and sounds marvelous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,698
    Options
    Wikipedia to the rescue: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_curd

« cheese curds are popular in Quebec, as part of the dish poutine (made of French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy), and in Wisconsin and Minnesota where they can be served breaded and deep fried. Curds are sometimes referred to as "squeaky cheese" or fromage en grain. »

Options
    @Stormbringer no excuses anymore:

I asked my friend copilot:  
    How do you make cheese curds at home?

**Making cheese curds at home** can be a fun and rewarding process! Here's a simple recipe for making fresh cheese curds:

### Homemade Cheese Curds Recipe

#### Ingredients:
    - 1 gallon (3.8 liters) of whole milk (avoid ultra-pasteurized milk)
    - 1/4 teaspoon calcium chloride (if using pasteurized milk)
    - 1/4 teaspoon mesophilic starter culture (such as MA4001 or MA4002)
    - 1/4 teaspoon liquid rennet (or follow package instructions for rennet tablets)
    - 1 teaspoon cheese salt (non-iodized)
    - Optional: Flavorings like herbs, garlic, or red pepper flakes

#### Equipment:
    - Large stainless steel pot
    - Thermometer
    - Long knife or curd cutter
    - Slotted spoon
    - Cheese cloth or butter muslin
    - Colander

#### Instructions:

1. **Heat the Milk:**
       - Pour the milk into the stainless steel pot and heat it over medium-low heat. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature.
       - Heat the milk to 90°F (32°C).

2. **Add Calcium Chloride and Starter Culture:**
       - If using pasteurized milk, dissolve the calcium chloride in 1/4 cup of cool, non-chlorinated water and add it to the milk.
       - Sprinkle the mesophilic starter culture over the milk's surface and let it rehydrate for a few minutes.

3. **Add Rennet:**
       - Dilute the liquid rennet in 1/4 cup of cool, non-chlorinated water.
       - Stir the rennet solution into the milk using an up-and-down motion.
       - Cover the pot and let it sit undisturbed for 45 minutes to 1 hour, allowing the curds to form.

4. **Cut the Curds:**
       - Use a long knife or curd cutter to cut the curds into small cubes (about 1/4 inch or 6 mm).
       - Let the curds rest for 5 minutes.

5. **Cook the Curds:**
       - Gradually increase the heat while stirring gently. Raise the temperature to 105°F (40°C) over 30 minutes.
       - Maintain this temperature for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

6. **Drain the Curds:**
       - Line a colander with cheese cloth or butter muslin.
       - Gently ladle the curds into the colander, allowing the whey to drain off.
       - Tie the corners of the cloth and hang it to drain for about 1 hour.

7. **Salt and Flavor:**
       - Once the curds have drained, transfer them to a bowl.
       - Sprinkle with cheese salt and any desired flavorings (herbs, garlic, etc.). Toss gently to distribute.

8. **Enjoy Fresh or Squeaky:**
       - Fresh cheese curds are best enjoyed within a day or two. They should be squeaky when you bite into them!
       - Refrigerate any leftovers, but note that they won't be as squeaky after refrigeration.

Remember that cheese-making is both science and art, so feel free to experiment with different milk types, cultures, and flavors. Enjoy your homemade cheese curds! 🧀👌 .

Let me know if you need any more tips or have other culinary questions!

What is the source of this recipe?

The **source** of the cheese curds recipe I provided is a combination of my internal knowledge and general culinary expertise. As an AI language model, I don't have direct access to external sources or specific recipe databases. However, I synthesized the instructions based on common cheese-making techniques and best practices.

If you're interested in exploring more detailed or specialized cheese-making recipes, I recommend checking reputable cooking websites, cookbooks, or consulting with experienced cheese-makers. Remember that cheese-making is both a science and an art, so feel free to experiment and adapt recipes to your taste! 🧀👌

Is there anything else I can assist you with? 😊

Options
    @paqman thank you! 

"Is there anything else I can assist you with?" ... I'll let you know when the move to NL happens later in the year. :) 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Great cook and evening.

I'm not sure how my name got mentioned with cheese curds.  I've had them a couple of times.  They're fine.  But I've never made or served them or anything.
    Sorry, my mistake; you were caught in the crossfire! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Great cook and evening.

Sorry, my mistake; you were caught in the crossfire! 
    No sweat.  Overall, I'm just happy when anybody thinks of me - for any reason.  I was mostly wondering if I forgot something...  :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX