Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIBS wrapped with what included and which side up

Options
I have not been getting good ribs.  My spares are better than BB but we like BB which have been dry and crusty.   I have been doing 3-1 1/2-till done with toothpick test at 275.  I have seen posts with different things included when wrapping but no definition of which side up while wrapped.   I have been using apple juice in wrap with bone side down.   What should be in wrap and which side down.   
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    I "think" that most people wrap with the meat side down. I could definitely be wrong.  The competition teams that I hang out with typically wrap with the meat side up and then put stuff on top of the meat that then melts/drips through the meat to flavor it.  Combinations I have seen are:

butter/onion slices
    Parkay squeeze margarine/brown sugar +/- a pepper jelly
    apple juice +/- other stuff
    beer +/- other stuff
    BBQ sauce +/- other stuff

"other stuff" can be the sugar, chopped peppers, onions, rubs/spices, even cinnamon

With that said, the competition teams that win tend to produce what I would call "meat candy" that don't taste a lot like pork ribs.  The rib is just a vehicle for the flavors that are added to the foil.  This sounds potentially disparaging but it is how I cook ribs the majority of the time.  But some days I just want to taste some pork rib meat and I go with just a rub +/- some apple juice if I foil.

I hope that helps.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,088
    edited April 13
    Options
    I do BB 2-2-0.5 meat up during the wrap and with some apple cider vinegar in. Here's an example: https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2020/11/21/mexican-bbq-ribs/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,214
    Options
    I wrap but add no liquid. Meat side up. I don’t want my rib meat sitting in liquid. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I think a pretty common combo is butter, brown sugar and honey during the wrap. I think what I’ve seen and done is meat side down for that. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,353
    Options
    I use honey, brown sugar and butter. Meat side down. If I wrap. Most times I run them unwrapped and do the bend test for the finish 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 370
    Options
    3/2.5/.5 wrapped with butter, bbq sauce and honey  meat side down at 250 the entire cook. If your ribs are turning out dry spray them with apple juice or whatever you want every hour of the first 3 hours.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options
    I'm anti wrap. Foil has not been consistent for me. Wrap meat side down, it's a braise process....I'm not a fan with bb, l look for small spares
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    Options
    Turbo ribs for the win
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    We add honey, just a light drizzle when we wrap. Also we don’t “competition “ cook as we like em fallin off the bone.
  • TheBreeze
    TheBreeze Posts: 18
    Options
    I am questioning myself as I type this because there are way more experienced people on this form yet nobody has said this: it seems like you are way overcooking them.

Are you saying you cook them for 4.5 hours at 275 degrees?  That's too much.  That is nearly turbo rib temperature but regular cook time.

I make pretty good ribs these days.  I cook at 225 degrees.  I do 2 hours regular, 1 hour wrapped, then about 30-60 minutes until done.  It should probe around 195-205 degrees at that time and temp and I do the toothpick test and bend test to judge final pull.  I wrap meat side down with apple cider vinegar and butter.

I would recommend lowering temperature and/or shortening cook time.