Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Gochujang pulled pork Korean pizza

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,572
Base sauce: gochujang, tomato paste, rice vinegar
Toppings: leftover pulled pork, mozz, pineapple, red onion
Garnish: cilantro
Sauce for drizzling and dipping: kimchi, mayo

Will need to make more before long...

canuckland

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,592
    Options
    Absolutely Stunning!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    What a beautiful pie. I would destroy that thing! Bravo. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    I'm amazed at the patience of your dining companions. Absolutely zero chance that those great looking pies would last long enough for a "group photo" with my crowd chomping at the bit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,542
    Options
    Oh lord I'd kill those!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,041
    Options
    You're not messing around!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    edited April 7
    Options
    That is "Go big or go home" pizza cooks right there. I would crush that opener teaser pizza right there.  Da-n! And the topper:
    https://youtu.be/JwRwcUSrBd4
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    edited April 7
    Options
    Thanks folks.

@HeavyG, no crowd here, they're for takeout and delivery tomorrow.

Forgot to mention the dough... It's the "24- to 48-hour pizza dough' in Forkish's The Elements of Pizza, with reduced salt and hydration. I take out the dough balls from the fridge about four hours before cooking, seven minutes apart (yes I'm ocd :) )

@ColbyLang, to circle back, I tried water in the moat to curb the condensation under the lid, no luck.

canuckland
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,093
    Options
    That looks incredible. Was that cooked in the Egg? If so, what temperature? Did you raise into the dome?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    Thanks folks.

@HeavyG, no crowd here, they're for takeout and delivery tomorrow.

Forgot to mention the dough... It's the "24- to 48-hour pizza dough' in Forkish's The Elements of Pizza, with reduced salt and hydration. I take out the dough balls from the fridge about four hours before cooking, seven minutes apart (yes I'm ocd :) )

@ColbyLang, to circle back, I tried water in the moat to curb the condensation under the lid, no luck.

Gary, I'm curious - what salt and hydration levels are you going with?  All of the pies look fantastic to me.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Stormbringer, sorry it wasn't,  hence OT in the title. The frozen pulled pork and ham were smoked in the XL though.
    canuckland
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options

Sauce for drizzling and dipping: kimchi, mayo

Saw a Triple-D episode where they put kimchi on the pizza, then cooked it.  Thought that was a weird idea - I should try it.  I put some on an already cooked Pepperoni pizza and found it to be quite tasty.   I will use some again.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    Salt: I tried sea salt, kosher salt and even table salt (blasphemy). TBH can't tell the difference in handling or taste.
    Hydration: 70% is too wet/sticky for me.  After many tweakings I've settled on 62.5% (summer) and 63.5% (winter), can launch with just lightly floured wood peel, no need for semolina or other stuff. 
    Flour: No fancy $pendy Italian 00, I use Costco's
    https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/ardent-mills-primo-mulino-neapolitan-style-pizza-flour%2c-20-kg.product.100299011.html

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    Salt: I tried sea salt, kosher salt and even table salt (blasphemy). TBH can't tell the difference in handling or taste.
    Hydration: 70% is too wet/sticky for me.  After many tweakings I've settled on 62.5% (summer) and 63.5% (winter), can launch with just lightly floured wood peel, no need for semolina or other stuff. 
    Flour: No fancy $pendy Italian 00, I use Costco's
    https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/ardent-mills-primo-mulino-neapolitan-style-pizza-flour%2c-20-kg.product.100299011.html

Sorry, I should have been more clear with my salt question.  What percentage are you using by weight?
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina your question was clear, I need  to learn to read :blush:
    IIRC receipt calls for 2.6% salt, I used 2.2% for a while but bumped up to 2.4% recently. May go up to 2.5%.
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

Personally, I think we need a full out tutorial post from @Canugghead. 😊😊😊
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina your question was clear, I need  to learn to read :blush:
    IIRC receipt calls for 2.6% salt, I used 2.2% for a while but bumped up to 2.4% recently. May go up to 2.5%.
    Thank you my friend.  I only asked since your pies look far better than any I have ever made!  I will give your mix a shot.  
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Sorry, you know I'm a poor writer. I've left enough bread crumbs everywhere, help yourself  ;)
    canuckland
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    @Canugghead Are those dough balls after refrigerator fermentation?  I've had a problem with mine flattening. I am using 70% hydration though.  I think I'm over proving. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Sorry, you know I'm a poor writer. I've left enough bread crumbs everywhere, help yourself  ;)
    Yeah, but don’t forget I’m a Luddite. Would love to see the consolidation of wisdom in a single spot. 
  • Canugghead
    edited April 12
    Options
    @cp92 I go with 62.5% (summer humid air) or 63.5% (winter dry air) hydration. 0.25% ADY.
    My routine...after hand mixing, rest 20 minutes, mix again, rest 1.5 hr, form balls about 240g for 12" pie, refrigerate in individual containers a night or two, room temp rise about four hours before cooking, since we make at least 8 we take them out 7 minutes apart so the later ones are not overproofed.

These dough balls have been in the fridge for about an hour only, I was experimenting with 1/2 teaspoon water in the bottom rim  hoping to eliminate the condensation. The takeout containers are 6.5" at the bottom, after the 4-hr room temp rest they expand  about half way towards the side. 

Since you're used to 70%, dropping to 62/63 may be too drastic, may be try 65% and also use the pinch test to make sure it's not overproofed?
    canuckland
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    @cp92 I go with 62.5% (summer humid air) or 63.5% (winter dry air) hydration. 0.25% ADY.
    My routine...after hand mixing, rest 20 minutes, mix again, rest 1.5 hr, form balls about 240g for 12" pie, 
    Thank you sir. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD