Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Balsamic roasted veg over polenta

Options

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Legume said:

That had to be good!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    You had me at Balsamic!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    I can smell the aroma from here. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    No beans?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks good! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,085
    Options
    The finished shot looks incredible, lovely colours. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,582
    Options
    That looks and sounds amazing 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,539
    Options
    Love it, whole tray of balsamic glazed mosaic of healthy bites. Perfect tray for our big gathering, or just the two of us for a week!

Did you add any garlic cloves (nod @caliking)? Reason I asked... We love Jamie Oliver's Hit and Run Chicken one tray dish, it uses balsamic vinegar and garlic; one problem we find is garlic cloves turning ugly green, wondering if it's some reaction between raw garlic and vinegar.
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    I always toss garlic into a roast.  This time I used fermented garlic cloves which worked out well, I'm not sure there was enough time with the smaller dice of soft veg to properly roast the garlic.  Most of the time I roast root vegetables, this was mostly zucchini, yellow squash, Japanese eggplant and mushrooms with some carrot, garlic and red onion thrown in.  In all honesty, the squash was a bit over.  I didn't sweat any of it ahead of time and it took a while to caramelize.  Next time I'll either sweat it or go with bigger pieces.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    @Canugghead I don't know about the green, but I always use some olive oil when I roast veg, so if JO's recipe doesn't have oil, maybe that's it?  I also usually roast at 400F, if that matters.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Yes, getting vegetables of different texture/hardness to finish at the right time is a balancing act, we parcook carrots and potatoes before mixing with others.

JO's recipe does have olive oil, perhaps we should pre roast the garlic or coat it with oil to avoid direct contact with vinegar. The recipe says 350 but we crank it up to 375 halfway, and broil near the end. 

We bake our favourite Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon at 400. 
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Love it, whole tray of balsamic glazed mosaic of healthy bites. Perfect tray for our big gathering, or just the two of us for a week!

Did you add any garlic cloves (nod @caliking)? Reason I asked... We love Jamie Oliver's Hit and Run Chicken one tray dish, it uses balsamic vinegar and garlic; one problem we find is garlic cloves turning ugly green, wondering if it's some reaction between raw garlic and vinegar.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/ask-the-food-lab-why-does-my-garlic-turn-green

Your idea for roasting the garlic separately, or coating with oil may help. When I've lacto-fermented veg in the past, I noticed that some of the garlic turned green. Still tasted great, though.

I made garlic confit in the IP some time ago. Add some to roast veg, mashed potatoes, rice... anything! Keeps well in the fridge. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking Thanks, I think they nailed it, it's the acidic vinegar, pre roasting garlic should work I hope,
    Don't add acid at the beginning. Acid can increase the rate of pigment production. If you are working on a recipe that includes both acid and garlic, give the garlic a chance to cook down a bit before adding the acid in order to deactivate its enzymes.
    canuckland