Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NYC Food Recommendations

Options
Headed to NYC in a couple of weeks for a few days. Throw ol’ Double some food and drink recommendations… 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,800
    Options
    Here is a post I made from around 15 months ago-likely OBE but some info-

"I recall you are soon headed to NYC for a vacation.  Got back three weeks ago.  Had a great time.  I'm sure you are well versed with the city but let me offer a sleeper restaurant: Shuka (mediterranean style) linked here:
    https://www.shukanewyork.com/  The chef did well in recent Beard competition (NYS finalist).  Got the steer from a local brewery staff and it hit the spot.
    If you are in search of Neopolitan pizza then Lombardi's is worth the stop as mentioned on the forum.  Pro tip-cash only although they do have an ATM on site.
    Playing tourist the 9/11 Museum is "must see." Figure 2-3 hours to give it a good look.  Extremely well done and the venue is impressive.  
    Staten Island ferry over and immediately back (it's free) on a weekend.  Runs 24/7 and the view of Manhattan. 
    If into oysters then the Grand Central Oyster bar (closed on weekends).  
    The city is still recovering from the covid shutdown.  While busy the traffic and street crowds are lighter than when last there in 2018.  Many small shops remain closed and will be forever."

Hopefully others with more local and timely info will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,828
    Options
    Katz's Deli is a must if you've never been.
    NOLA
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I have pretty good food all over the city so I'll focus on just these few by time square.

The Lasagna Pizza here is something to check out
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/VUgTd7hW3en5BTcc8

In general Chicken Parm Pizza is special there

This is pretty touristy but the food is actually pretty good- Tony's Di Napoli

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,332
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. We won’t spend too much time in the tourist traps especially around Times Square. I am planning on exploring the different areas, a day in Chelsea/Greenwich, a day in Brooklyn, etc. I prefer to explore off of the beaten path to get the real experience of an area. 

I’d like to find the McDowell’s in Queens. Lol. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,539
    Options
    You have to try Carmine's.  Warning, their plate sizes are HUGE ... definitely you'll want to share them.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Little owl- 

Greensboro, NC
  • Boatman1
    Options
    Go to Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,750
    Options
    You may have already checked this, but peruse Eater NYC. They usually break down eats in cities by neighborhood, and other categories.

I drop in now and then to check recs for Houston, and they've proven to be a good source of info. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,568
    Options
    Grimaldi's Margherita.. Below the Bridge in Brooklyn

if you buy one, you will probably buy a second...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• AlmaHolzhert
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Grimaldi's Margherita.. Below the Bridge in Brooklyn

if you buy one, you will probably buy a second...
    Seconded.  There is an entire song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers written about that pizza.  Its called Under the Bridge if you haven't heard it.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,702
    Options
    In all honesty, I would recommend you buy pizza slices, that way if you don't like it, you're not tossing a whole pie.
    Not a felon
  • billt01
    Options
    Legume said:
    In all honesty, I would recommend you buy pizza slices, that way if you don't like it, you're not tossing a whole pie.
    @DoubleEgger

if you don’t like it, I’ll Venmo you the cash you paid for it..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    One way to get to sample a lot of stuff in one area/neighborhood is to do a walking food tour.  We did one in Greenwich Village that was great and I've heard the one is Chelsea is also great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,364
    Options
    Saw this guy last time in NYC.  He might have some recommendations.

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - was he under a bridge, by any chance?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Legume said:
    @DoubleEgger

I'm sure your money is safe, my advice had nothing to do with you or whatever place you recommended.
    Not a felon
  • Givengold3
    Options
    Carmine's for the family style Italian experience, Bowery Meat Company for the... well, meat of course.
    Concord, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    billt01 said:
    Legume said:
    @DoubleEgger

I'm sure your money is safe, my advice had nothing to do with you or whatever place you recommended.
    Hard to Venmo Shiba coin in any case.
  • billt01
    Options
    Legume said:
    billt01 said:
    Legume said:
    @DoubleEgger

Hard to Venmo Shiba coin in any case.
    no, for that I'll need his wallet address..

at any rate, have fun in NYC @DoubleEgger
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    One of my favorite restaurants in NYC is Dirt Candy. I know it is off topic for a BGE forum, but this vegetarian restaurant is great.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dannys said:
    One of my favorite restaurants in NYC is Dirt Candy. I know it is off topic for a BGE forum, but this vegetarian restaurant is great.
    Lol,.love the name for a vegetable serving joint!  
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,951
    Options
    dannys said:

if the meal comes with a fork, its on topic

Dirty Dinner Plate Fork Vegetables Stock Photo 2285898099  Shutterstock
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lots of NYC discussion in this thread, too:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2687816#Comment_2687816
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    New York Magazine has a food section that might be of help - https://www.grubstreet.com/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Thankfully McD's works to maintain uniform quality and taste across the Continental United States of America, so you at least will be able to find something worth eating.
  • Legume
    Options
    Is that donkey sauce place still open on Times Square?  I heard that had great reviews.
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Thankfully McD's works to maintain uniform quality and taste across the Continental United States of America, so you at least will be able to find something worth eating.

big changes happening with mcd's this winter 2024. higher grill settings to cook the burgers, more sauce on a big mac......its going to be huge........
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,629
    Options
    fishlessman said:
    ...big changes happening with mcd's this winter 2024. 
    They've ruined their Sausage Biscuits, the only item I ever visited them for.  

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    I just go for the coffee, black, they get that wrong sometimes at the drive thru
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    I just go for the coffee, black, they get that wrong sometimes at the drive thru
    They F you at the drive thru…