Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briquettes Funny Story

Options
I accidently bought a bag of briquettes instead of lump. After a cook the other day, I dumped half the bag on top of lump.........those briquettes ran at 400 degrees choked down to 2 screens widths..........the next morning (12 hours later) it was still 325.
holy crap they burn hot and long.......and a ton of ash. 
Large BGE, Weber Genesis CP310 and Weber Q1200 (camping)

There is no bad day if you're grilling !

Dave - Oshawa, ON

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    The only downside to briquettes is the amount of ash they leave.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,137
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I will go to my grave saying the best way to cook pork chops or drumsticks is on weber with Kingsford Blue Bag.

KBB is the flavor of my youth.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    I will go to my grave saying the best way to cook pork chops or drumsticks is on weber with Kingsford Blue Bag.

and lighter fluid?
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,900
    Options

Ozzie - I understand, the same way I have always been a believer in a terrific HR training film (yes…FILM…) made way back in the 1970’s by a university professor. That film was entitled  “You Are Who You Were When”

And yes it had to do with beliefs, respect, and social behavior issues and not Kingsford and charcoal lighter fluid. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

and lighter fluid?
    That is one flavor I will leave in the past!  But yes, had many a meal cooked with lighter fluid, and two burned down yards related to it also.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @RRP Yep Dr Morris Massey.  I used his stuff in a number of classes I taught in industry.  So real.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options

and lighter fluid?
    That is one flavor I will leave in the past!  But yes, had many a meal cooked with lighter fluid, and two burned down yards related to it also.
    Unfortunately we still have to inhale it when a next door neighbour grills, and I'm talking 20ft away.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:

Ozzie - I understand, the same way I have always been a believer in a terrific HR training film (yes…FILM…) made way back in the 1970’s by a university professor. That film was entitled  “You Are Who You Were When”

And yes it had to do with beliefs, respect, and social behavior issues and not Kingsford and charcoal lighter fluid. 
    I'd never heard of this, so I went to see if I could find the film.  A lot of these have been transferred over to the internets.  Is this the fellow in your film, Ron?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rPiehHQu8
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,900
    edited October 2023
    Options
    RRP said:

I'd never heard of this, so I went to see if I could find the film.  A lot of these have been transferred over to the internets.  Is this the fellow in your film, Ron?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6rPiehHQu8
    Yes - Dr Morris Massey.  But this is an updated version - not the original which I as well as  @Money_Hillbilly referred to.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OntarioDave
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I guess I could cook burgers or something like that with them? I was going to just burn them up.
    Large BGE, Weber Genesis CP310 and Weber Q1200 (camping)

There is no bad day if you're grilling !

Dave - Oshawa, ON
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I guess I could cook burgers or something like that with them? I was going to just burn them up.
    You can cook anything/everything with them.  They just leave a lot of ash, but that is not a big deal if you clean it out after each cook.

I have cooked many many butts, chicken, corn, turkeys, etc in a weber smokey mountain with Kingsford Blue Bag.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I use Kingsford blue bag for most cooks.  I like the taste of it better Than lumps
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I keep around 100# of Kingsford Blue on hand at all times- I have never had to throw away the bottom 1/4 of the bag due to being small crushed pieces. The ash is certainly a lot more than lump charcoal- but I get the added benefit of cook consistency. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have cooked with both in my lifetime, my preference is for 90% carbonized charcoal, preferably lump made from high quality hardwoods, leaving little or no flavor to the dish, and adding the smoke flavor I choose, using select types of smoking woods. 

At one time Kingsford Blue Bag was just what you did because that is what your dad always did. I know, I did it. 

Then I started becoming interested in pit grilling. 
    I am the first to tell you I accumulated so much data from a lot of people. Getting into the BGE time burning, money evaporating cult, my cooking game, not only stepped up, the folks eating it appreciated the effort a bit more. 

If your family and loved ones think it is the best, that is all that matters. It can be, if you are not mentally incompetent and O.C.D. like me.

But, if it can be so much better, is it a bad thing to do so for your family and loved ones? 

I think it is worth it. (The O.C.D. Me)
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,412
    Options
    @YukonRon - Glad you are back engaged with the forum.  Hope all is well.  An early "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your family. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I gotta say - I’ll eventually put one of those “city park“ outdoor rebar grills in the backyard. The smell of the inefficient smoke and lighter fluid just screams neighborhood party to me. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:

Rabbit hole entered!  I have never wanted something I need less this much.