Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RANT

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,776
edited October 2023 in Off Topic
at times i do that =) seems like there should be a place here to do that.....

property tax increase notice today, 25 percent. fire dept is voluntary, ambulance rides are voluntary, there are no police officers cruisers etc. the one school has a hundred kids, the property owners on my street pay directly for road improvements to keep it up to town standards for snow removal, 25 percent increase.....NO CITY WATER, NO CITY SEWER, NO TRASH PICKUP.....

maybe it was those pavers i put around the wooden deck, maybe its the grass, i looked around, not many have a lawn around me....

DID I MENTION 25 PERCENT
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    So what is that in real $?

They must have a published budget driving the increase, or they lost some other source of tax revenue.

My rant - my homeowners ins. just went up 50%.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    So what is that in real $?

They must have a published budget driving the increase, or they lost some other source of tax revenue.

My rant - my homeowners ins. just went up 50%.

went from 4 to 5k this year, the whole town went up the same percentage. theres no commercial realestate except for a 1 pump gastation, a tiny campground, and a general store and a place to buy ice cream cones. not a town full of jobs.

my flood ins was increasing 25 percent a year every year til it hit its max which was never....25 must be a magic number.

the only posting so far is

CURRENT BILLING DISTRIBUTION:

COUNTY 5 %
    MUNICIPAL 41 %
    SCHOOL 54 %

not much else and nothing regarding the increase. from what i hear, theres a line at the town hall. town meeting this month should be fun for those in charge
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s definitely the pavers, lol.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It’s definitely the pavers, lol.

the neighbors just bought some this summer as well, all this home improvement.....maine wasnt ready for it apparently ;) they dont have the fancy griddle stand though
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,087
    Options
    My assessed value went up 15% in 2021 and 19% in 2023.  One would expect the various mill levies to be adjusted down, keeping the taxes revenue neutral.  The county did just that.  The public school system (65% of the taxes go there) and the city did not.
    I was brought up to believe if you find a wallet full of money with identification, you return it to the owner.  The school board and mayor here were obviously brought up with a different set of ethics.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    My assessed value went up 15% in 2021 and 19% in 2023.  One would expect the various mill levies to be adjusted down, keeping the taxes revenue neutral.  The county did just that.  The public school system (65% of the taxes go there) and the city did not.
    I was brought up to believe if you find a wallet full of money with identification, you return it to the owner.  The school board and mayor here were obviously brought up with a different set of ethics.

they didnt even assess the home values, they just increased taxes where the nearby towns all stayed the same. something smells wrong with this particular increase this year. everything was approved this year is basically whats being said without saying whats been approved.
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,308
    Options
    My house insurance is about 3K for a 1600 sf 50 year old rancher. The Allstate didn’t go up that much but the federal flood sure did. Allstate auto soared though. Health insurance went up for the second time in 12 months. The dentist extracted my wallet pretty thoroughly though and I just got through taking the dog to the vet for an eye ulcer. Happy holidays everyone!
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2023
    Options
    My house insurance is about 3K for a 1600 sf 50 year old rancher. The Allstate didn’t go up that much but the federal flood sure did. Allstate auto soared though. Health insurance went up for the second time in 12 months. The dentist extracted my wallet pretty thoroughly though and I just got through taking the dog to the vet for an eye ulcer. Happy holidays everyone!

switching from allstate to progressive my car ins dropped from over 5k to 1400 per year. add to that, the auto collision places near me dont accept allstate. allstate is another rant of mine. as for flood insurance look into a private flood insurer like loyds of london. i believe i just needed state town and lot number....7 grand turned into less than 1 grand in ten minutes....screw fema. another rant of mine
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think it’s helpful to shop around for a better deal on insurance of all forms on occasion.  There’s not much upside in brand loyalty these days.  Trust me, with maybe a few exceptions, the insurance companies aren’t loyal to their clients.  They will drop you and leave you hanging out to dry if they think you’re suddenly too much of a liability, no matter how many years you’ve been paying them.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    My biggest issue is those damn kids that keep walking across my lawn.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Just the kids.....
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm near a elementary school and used to suffer that issue.  Past 10 years or so it's gone away, replaced by parents blocking my driveway at drop-off and pick-up times.
    Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options

switching from allstate to progressive my car ins dropped from over 5k to 1400 per year. add to that, the auto collision places near me dont accept allstate. allstate is another rant of mine. as for flood insurance look into a private flood insurer like loyds of london. i believe i just needed state town and lot number....7 grand turned into less than 1 grand in ten minutes....screw fema. another rant of mine
    House and car are bundled. If I drop car insurance my house insurance drops. Add to that there aren’t many choices that offer wind and hail as proof. What chaps my butt is no chargeable accidents or traffic tickets in over 25 years. But turn 63 and they think that your 15 again.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I think it’s helpful to shop around for a better deal on insurance of all forms on occasion.  There’s not much upside in brand loyalty these days.  Trust me, with maybe a few exceptions, the insurance companies aren’t loyal to their clients.  They will drop you and leave you hanging out to dry if they think you’re suddenly too much of a liability, no matter how many years you’ve been paying them.
    There are only about 3 choices for house insurance locally. I have cross shopped them. State Farm is even worse as documented by a whistleblower after Katrina and as California is currently finding out.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Not sure how it works in other states, but is that the preliminary or proposed tax levy? Unless it is the final there is a possibility they could lower that amount before setting the final levy. It seems like some municipalities like to do this when they know the levy needs to increase. After everybody complains it makes it look like they are listening when they decide to "only" raise the levy by 20 percent instead. Either way, it should be pretty easy to find out which areas of the budget are increasing and by how much.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Not sure how it works in other states, but is that the preliminary or proposed tax levy? Unless it is the final there is a possibility they could lower that amount before setting the final levy. It seems like some municipalities like to do this when they know the levy needs to increase. After everybody complains it makes it look like they are listening when they decide to "only" raise the levy by 20 percent instead. Either way, it should be pretty easy to find out which areas of the budget are increasing and by how much.                                                         It's the bill.                                                              First payment is november
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    What chaps my butt is no chargeable accidents or traffic tickets in over 25 years. But turn 63 and they think that your 15 again.
    Hmmm!  My car insurance jumped from ~$350/6 mo to ~$450/6 mo this last bill, and I turned 63 in February....  Time to make a phone call.   :|  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    What chaps my butt is no chargeable accidents or traffic tickets in over 25 years. But turn 63 and they think that your 15 again.
    Hmmm!  My car insurance jumped from ~$350/6 mo to ~$450/6 mo this last bill, and I turned 63 in February....  Time to make a phone call.   :|  
    Yours is higher than mine.’
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    "That's what she said."   :tongue:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• BigreenGreg
    Options
    Does the coverage include bass boats by the house?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    "That's what she said."   :tongue:  
    Sure thing Lurch.
  • fishlessman
    Options

what happened to the dislike viewership that was recently enjoyed....someone here must really like overpriced ins bills. as for fema, you could live on a mountain top and eventually you will get rezoned as a flood zone in a few years. they want your money.
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

what happened to the dislike viewership that was recently enjoyed....someone here must really like overpriced ins bills. as for fema, you could live on a mountain top and eventually you will get rezoned as a flood zone in a few years. they want your money.
    You might have gotten caught in the blast radius on that one, Fish.  The Disliker went to tag my post and yours just happened to be nearby.  
  • dbCooper
    Options
    dbCooper said:

they didnt even assess the home values, they just increased taxes where the nearby towns all stayed the same. something smells wrong with this particular increase this year. everything was approved this year is basically whats being said without saying whats been approved.
    Congrats on your 32,000th post!  Hope that gets you to leader status. 🙂

Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

Not likely, to be leader you need an army of troll accounts, or actually be a troll on this site😁
    fukahwee maine

• WildmanWilson
    Options
    The democrats love to tax. Can't seem to get enough. High inflation, out of control government spending, and weakening dollar. Ol' Joe and company has it going their way.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The democrats love to tax. Can't seem to get enough. High inflation, out of control government spending, and weakening dollar. Ol' Joe and company has it going their way.
    The dollar is currently trading at 0.94 Euros.

When Trump left office, it was trading at 0.9 Euros.

This article from the Wall Street Journal was posted a week ago:

But… what do they know, amirite?!?!? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bleeeeet…. Bleeet bleet bleeeeeet
    Options
    Maybe you got reassessed because of the Stonehenge project out back, Fish
    Options
    Maybe you got reassessed because of the Stonehenge project out back, Fish

im pretty sure its the green grass, what kinda arsehole in maine has the money to plant a lawn
    fukahwee maine