Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RANT

Options
2»

Comments

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,339
    Options
    Botch said:
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    What chaps my butt is no chargeable accidents or traffic tickets in over 25 years. But turn 63 and they think that your 15 again.
    Hmmm!  My car insurance jumped from ~$350/6 mo to ~$450/6 mo this last bill, and I turned 63 in February....  Time to make a phone call.   :|  

I just got done shopping car insurance. Our monthly payment has gone up $5-$10 every renewal over the last few years which I can understand but I just got our latest renewal notice in and it is set to go up another $45 per month starting November 1st for the 6mo policy. I called and all they could say is "everyone is going up."
    LBGE
    AL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    edited November 2023
    Options
    adding tipping visa machines to my rant. for a cup of black coffee that i pour myself after buying a cup with those visa card readers asking for 20, 30, 40 percent tips seem ridiculous to me......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    adding tipping visa machines to my rant. for a cup of black coffee that i pour myself after buying a cup with those visa card readers asking for 20, 30, 40 percent tips seem ridiculous to me......
    Agree, but I've gotten more comfortable and gotten back to not tipping or tipping much less for counter service, takeout, etc., depending on the situation.  I think a lot of places turned tipping on in those pos systems during covid and I doubt many or any have backed it out.  I think it's an artifact of that time and has now replaced the counter tip jar.

I did tip anything food service very very generously during Covid.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Agree, but I've gotten more comfortable and gotten back to not tipping or tipping much less for counter service, takeout, etc., depending on the situation.  I think a lot of places turned tipping on in those pos systems during covid and I doubt many or any have backed it out.  I think it's an artifact of that time and has now replaced the counter tip jar.

I did tip anything food service very very generously during Covid.

tipping was big during covid but bring back the cup. if i buy an icecream i want to see a name on the cup, not a visa entry going to who knows who.  almost every sub shop around me has the pos visa tip feature now, its just not right to tip up front with an order. whats next, automated tipping at the cash register at the supermarket.......
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    As I’ve told servers, I prefer to tip in cash. Then it’s between them an Uncle Sam. Possibly between them an management if their pay rate is based on their tips.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Use of cash has declined significantly in recent years (26% down to 18% of transactions) for myriad reasons like Covid, credit card security and rewards, more young people entering the buying public). I suspect there is a big differential in use of cash  between Gen Z and boomers.

For me, I just had to get comfortable with the fact that a tip screen that starts at 18% and goes up from there doesn't mean they expect it or I am compelled to tip that amount for whatever they're doing or not doing.  

Maybe some of those systems are based on vanilla and the defaults are too hard to change?!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Around here several of the restaurants and even the car dealership service department charge you 3.5% extra if you pay with a debit card or a credit card. Strange enough the dealership still takes checks. Taco Bell on the other hand has replace the inside cashier with 3 self service terminals that only take cards.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Around here several of the restaurants and even the car dealership service department charge you 3.5% extra if you pay with a debit card or a credit card. Strange enough the dealership still takes checks. Taco Bell on the other hand has replace the inside cashier with 3 self service terminals that only take cards.

seems to be different up here, the 3.5 percent is already added in so that those paying cash are paying it as well. atleast that helps explain some of the higher costs im seeing ;) im sure the self serves will soon have fees.....
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,594
    Options
    choose wisely  ;)

canuckland