Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uncle Phil Now has a YouTube Channel dedicated to BGE and the food I cook.

Options
2»

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Not so easy to do, keep it up. They will get better.  Good luck Phil.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Hi all: It is hard to believe that I have been a BGE user since 2005. I still have the same Large Egg. Well, I decided to put my on-camera talent and video editing capabilities to good use and create my own YouTube channel. I have finished my first video about doing delicious BBQ ribs on the egg, and I could use your help. I need to get some likes and subscriptions to my channel, so if you all could invest a moment to view the first video in brilliant 4K, I would greatly appreciate it. The vid took 8 hours to shoot and over 20 hours to edit, but it was all done with love; the results speak for themselves! Here is the lnk.
    Thanks, Uncle Phil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qIsqiBlIU

Don't normally throw unsolicited advice peoples way, but since you asked for some feedback in the spirit of constructive feedback enclosed are a few points, some of which others already mentioned:

- YouTube is about adding value, if World Champion Pitmasters like Harry Soo are willing to disclose everything they know, Pitmasters who have worked the line in Texas top 50 restaurants are doing the same... holding back secret ingredients will likely be hard to compete against people who have the creditability of winning BBQ comps and or name recognition with famous restaurants.  If you're not willing to share something, I would omit it from the video and or reconsider what value prop you would like to offer overall as a channel.

- You might have better luck as a gag with the puppets during the taste test if it's very short / funny.  Chuds does this bit with a snake in my boot every video so it's not that something funny can't be part of your brand... but I might consider the placement and the duration.  If i wasn't watching this for providing feedback I would have left the video early on with the puppet interaction as its just not clear what value / purpose that provides and as an unknown name without the credentials of BBQ comp wins or restaurant experience to keep the viewer engaged this might be a limiting factor in growing your channel

- The video might be 4k quality, but the audio could be higher quality... I would argue audio matters more than 4k over 1080p.  There were times where the volume was better/worse and or wind/background noise was distracting.  I still to this day record all my videos with my smartphone camera, but i do have a Rhode Wireless Go II mic which helps the audio quality significantly over what a stock camera captures 

- Check out the film booth channel on youtube, 20hrs of editing is not sustainable and speaks to the opportunity to have a better plan of what you want to say, and what you want to record when editing.  I still edit my own videos and spend 1-2 hours on each ... by no means am I saying mine are any good but at 10% of the time spent you will want to find a way to reduce this.  Film booth has some great advice for content creators improve efficiencies 

- Think about the WFIM (whats in it for me) behind your channel, this will help tailor content.  I.e. are you going to be known for recipes, for fire management, for big green egg specific knowledge etc.  I still consider myself a small creator, as a small creator the brand name is more powerful than my name so think about how you can maximize that.  Tools like Tube Buddy will help you understand title and description SEO, what the top ranked videos look like, how long they are and help you think of ideas that can improve on videos that already exist and or fill gaps that don't exist. 

- Pick a schedule you can be consistent with.  Start writing down your ideas in a document, and then start thinking about when in the year those ideas would make good videos.  A turkey video right now would suck... but in November it's amazing.  Map out your ideas to the times of year that you think would be most interesting

YouTube is not a license to print money, my last 4 videos have averaged $50 in ad revenue so depending on what I cook they lose money before time and editing is factored in and thats at 100k subs.  Think about what motivates you and why you want to do it and be prepared for it to take some time.  If you want your motivations are to get rich and famous the algorithm will most likely beat you down so don't forget your north star.  have as much fun as possible and don't lose sight to why you started

Hope that helps, all the best.  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,707
    Options
    The dude didn’t ask for feedback, unless I missed it somewhere. The only reason for his posting here was to “get some likes and subscriptions to my channel”. I’m not a you-tuber but isn’t that how you get paid? Views, likes, and subscriptions? 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    The dude didn’t ask for feedback, unless I missed it somewhere. The only reason for his posting here was to “get some likes and subscriptions to my channel”. I’m not a you-tuber but isn’t that how you get paid? Views, likes, and subscriptions? 
    If we all subscribe but aren’t interested and regularly watch that hurts the channel more than it helps. I cringe when family members say we got your great uncle bob’s next door neighbor to subscribe as YouTube bases video interest first off of subscribers before deciding to show it to other people. A million subs that don’t watch your video is not only worth nothing, it would make it impossible to grow your reach as you’d never pass the first hurdle 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,707
    Options
    @unoriginalusername my earlier comment wasn’t directed at you. It just seems to me that Uncle Phil only posted here in order to get views. If he cared much about our comments he surely would have revisited this thread by now.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @unoriginalusername my earlier comment wasn’t directed at you. It just seems to me that Uncle Phil only posted here in order to get views. If he cared much about our comments he surely would have revisited this thread by now.
    You are right, I Reread the first post and it didn’t ask for feedback… just watch and sub so now I feel bad for my novel of constructive criticism which is now 100% unsolicited 😂 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,582
    Options
    @unoriginalusername - stand up post above and your videos are always great content and a learning experience. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,715
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    You are right, I Reread the first post and it didn’t ask for feedback… just watch and sub so now I feel bad for my novel of constructive criticism which is now 100% unsolicited 😂 
    I thought it was a great review and I learned a lot. If op does return he will certainly appreciate the information.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ragingirishman2
    Options
    @unoriginalusername I sent you a PM and I'd like your YouTube channel info so I can sub. I also follow Chud as he has some good content and is fun to watch, I think you would be too. Good advice to Uncle Phil if he logs in to review it. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    @unoriginalusername I sent you a PM and I'd like your YouTube channel info so I can sub. I also follow Chud as he has some good content and is fun to watch, I think you would be too. Good advice to Uncle Phil if he logs in to review it. 
    hey thanks. I am smokingdadbbq 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @unoriginalusername great review and tips, your videos are nice and you obviously know how to play the game.  I have zero interest to make content, but your write up made sense and should be appreciated.  Honestly I still wonder if this ventriloquist Phil is real ?  Seems odd to fake but I have been fooled before. Lol it’s really funny.  This whole post is funny, like it was years ago bc I’m curious to check back in a few hrs and see what’s new.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    NDG said:
    @unoriginalusername great review and tips, your videos are nice and you obviously know how to play the game.  I have zero interest to make content, but your write up made sense and should be appreciated.  Honestly I still wonder if this ventriloquist Phil is real ?  Seems odd to fake but I have been fooled before. Lol it’s really funny.  This whole post is funny, like it was years ago bc I’m curious to check back in a few hrs and see what’s new.
    Thanks, I’m not sure what the OP end game is but my (long) post is a genuine collection of learnings over the past four years and journey to 100k that I’d share with myself or anyone given the chance looking to venture into YouTube. I do think there is a gap of doing what I do specific to BGE that could be taken up 
  • NDG
    Options
    Sooo when is Uncle Phil dropping episode 2 ?? 
    I got a hankering to see more Nickie in action . .  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,224
    Options
    The Buffalo ban hammered Uncle Phil from his own thread.  Then he left this post up as a warning for those who come next.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    For those who came here looking, check out a legit channel...well thought out content, well done videos,  someone who doesn't use this forum as an advertising medium, and most importantly entertaining:

https://youtu.be/inCflP7tiz0

@unoriginalusername doesn't post his own videos here, but they are worth watching.  He has expanded beyond just Kamados too.

Hey thanks 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,817
    Options
    For those who came here looking, check out a legit channel...well thought out content, well done videos,  someone who doesn't use this forum as an advertising medium, and most importantly entertaining:

https://youtu.be/inCflP7tiz0

@unoriginalusername doesn't post his own videos here, but they are worth watching.  He has expanded beyond just Kamados too.

Hey thanks 
    Only guy I know that will come to California from Canada to pick up an  egg and then take it as Carry On Luggage 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • AlmaHolzhert
    Options
    Yep, he's a good Egg as they say.
  • NDG
    Options
    Yep, he's a good Egg as they say.
    Perhaps, but complete lack of ventriloquist skillz ??
    Alarming.
    Columbus, OH