Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip Pricing

Options
My local butcher just advertised tri-tip on sale for $10.99/lb.  That still seems high to me, but I'm a little tipsy so maybe its just me being negative. Should I hit them up tomorrow for some tri-tip or just go to the local Costco?
XL BGE
Plainfield, IL.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,415
    Options
    I would check out the quality as the above price is below what I can get at on-line sources like Oak Barn Beef and Porter Road (never mind SRF). 
    I see tri-tip at the local Kroger selling for $11-12/lb these days.
    If you can find them at Costco then go for it as I have never seen them in the Costco here in fly-over country.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    The 3 grocery stores that I know carry them here in the Twin Cities averages around $10/lb for choice. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Our local Costco had USDA Choice tri-tips for $9.49/lb. and USDA Prime tri-tips for $9.99/lb.. Getting the Prime was a no brainer.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    I buy bulk around 6.00 per pound peeled where I am , choice 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SRF wagyu tri-tips are about $17/lb at HEB. For the past few years, Costco has had tri-tip on the regular, but I don't recall the price. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a small trimmed choice tritip is in the lower 30 dollar price range when i can find them. if the are sliced into steaks they are about half that for whatever reason
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky that Costco in CA ( edit: Cali not Canada) has these regularly. I like to buy the cryovac pack that has 5 to 6 and then vac-seal them. These tend to be about a dollar a pound less than the 2 packs. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    danhoo said:
    I guess I'm lucky that Costco in CA ( edit: Cali not Canada) has these regularly. I like to buy the cryovac pack that has 5 to 6 and then vac-seal them. These tend to be about a dollar a pound less than the 2 packs. 
    Since you are in California, checkout the Chef Store if you have one nearby , owned by the same people that own Smart and Final....we got one in my area and it is excellent 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    lkapigian said:
    I buy bulk around 6.00 per pound peeled where I am , choice 
    You go through enough meat that the small butcher shops in your town probably order from you!
    LoL, it is moderately profitable 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,674
    Options
    Never seen one in the wild that wasn’t marinated in a bag.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I usually pay 6-7 per lb in Houston but it comes with a fat cap I trim off.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,987
    Options
    The cost of living in Ohio.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    Tri-tip is a little pricey out here in California where it's common. I think I paid $8/lbs for a cryo at Costco recently (daughter's wedding; it was on the menu). Outside the PNW/SW where tri-tip is an exotic cut, sure, I bet it's over $10

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    The cost of living in Ohio.
    Those marinated ones can cook up OK, but I've cooked maybe 3 of those in my lifetime out of curiosity and probably 100 from cryo in the last 4 years.

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    Local ad with Prime Tri Tip at $9.99. 

South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    $3.69 per pound today 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    $3.69 per pound today 

Back up the truck!
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just buy hex-tip, split it into two tri-tips, and laugh all the way to he bank.  Or something like that 🤪
    Options
    Up in the middle of canuckistan I pay $5.91/lb for AA or Select for you guys.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    $9.99 today.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"