Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,744
    Options
    Mickey mouse cook compared to the two above  :)

Lit the pit for fun on a hot day, 
    threw some kebabs on when the flame died down with a bed of hot embers
    chick butt kebabs was the bomb

served with pickled red onion and chili, on store bought naan toasted over the embers.
    Don't know about anyone else, but I'm totally behind chix butt kababs! No pun intended... well, maybe :smiley:

Where do you find the chicken butts? Grocery store? Or, do you trim them off 1/4's, etc. and save?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,625
    Options
    @caliking yup, deboned a pile of leg 1/4's a while back to vac seal and freeze, saved the bones for soup and butt for kebabs.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,587
    Options
    For the record @Canugghead is a worthy challenger to Jacues Pepin and messing about with chix, ducks and turkey.  "I don't have to use knife very much."
    The classic Jacques Pepin chix ballotine video. What skills-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @lousubcap our resident chix ballotine guru is @paqman.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    At least I was dealing with the GWN experts!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,556
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The classic Jacques Pepin chix ballotine video. What skills-
    He makes it look so easy; it takes me that long to bone two thighs...

I do need to remember to try his "pulling" technique next time I do parts.  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Canugghead
    Options
    pull and scrape, minimum slash.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,556
    Options
    Not really "chef-ing", but I did fire up my Small.

This was my last sausage package from the monthly subscription I had with Olympia Provisions (Portland OR), it was a greek sausage called "Loukaniko".  I've never heard of it before, its made with pork, garlic, oregano, spices, and lemon zest (there's a bunch of recipes on the web).  Easily one of the best sausages I've ever had, will be making this myself soon.  

I saw a couple months ago that my local "Harmon's" grocery chain now carry Olympia Provisions stuff, a lot cheaper than my subscription but still a bit pricey.  Will be fun to see if I can reproduce it.  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    I used to make a chicken ballotine every other week… I was getting pretty good but nowhere close to Pepin 😂🤣. I am way overdue for one!

Options
    @caliking for MSM, you would add clove, cinnamon, and allspice to the mix.

Options
    paqman said:
    Duly noted. All of those sound like great additions. 

This was more of a wild riff re: texture (without the cure). Haven’t had enough MSM to understand the finer details,  but I really enjoyed it on our trip. 

• paqman
    Options
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    Duly noted. All of those sound like great additions. 

This was more of a wild riff re: texture (without the cure). Haven’t had enough MSM to understand the finer details,  but I really enjoyed it on our trip. 
    MSM is pretty much pastrami…

The article below mentions 3 main differences:
    Cut of beef:
    Pastrami: navel
    MSM: brisket

Spice mix:
    Pastrami - coriander, black pepper, sugar
    MSM - black pepper, coriander seeds, more garlic, and sometimes mustard seeds, bay leaf, and other aromatics. “Other aromatics” is the key here and that’s the cinnamon, clove, and allspice.

Brine:
    Pastrami: wet
    MSM: dry - I can say that in the case of Schwartz, it isn’t true, they use a wet brine.

https://www.seriouseats.com/difference-between-pastrami-smoked-meat-katzs-schwartzs-mile-end

From what I understand, Schwartz prepares the meat with a brine that contains all the aromatics.  They then rub the meat with the steak rub prior to smoking.

Options
    oh man... I'm starting to get that " about to dive down a rabbithole" feeling :)

You've given me some ideas @paqman. Thanks!

• Canugghead
    Options
  • paqman
    Options
    @paqman
    @caliking
    pink salt?
    yes, in the brine, it also has Sodium Erythorbate

Options
    paqman said:
    @paqman
    @caliking
    pink salt?
    Learned something new, where do you get this?
    canuckland
  • paqman
    Options
    paqman said:
    @paqman
    @caliking
    pink salt?
    Learned something new, where do you get this?
    You can get it from Amazon but I buy all my charcuterie stuff from Stuffers.  There is a good chance that your butcher can get some for you.

https://www.stuffers.com/collections/starter-cultures-and-acidifiers/products/sodium-erythorbate-454-grams

Options
    Thanks @paqman will probably pick your brain again when it comes down to the knitty-gritty.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    two more steaks were sliced up and swimming in herbed butter (no pic)
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,921
    Options
    ribeyes

Sink the pink, to quote AC/DC 

Nicely done John!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,116
    Options
    ribeyes

Looks fabulous!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Money shot says it all.  Great result right there.