Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT I need a new TV OT

Options
my 2006 Panasonic Plasma died in its sleep last night.

Looking at OLEDs, trying to sort out if I need a sound bar, and how to get return audio into an older Denon receiver that has digital in with optical and coax. 

Just starting to research this but I know the crew here will help me spend more than I need to.

Looking at a 65 inch. any larger won't fit the space.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    In addition to the responses you will get here, give the search function a look as this subject has been discussed several times.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
    When I got my OLED, I replaced my Denom with Onkyo  TX-RZ620… BTW, I would not buy an OLED again, my eyes aren’t young enough to notice the difference , it’s a 65 and I rarely watch it… just as happy with my Samsung Curved in the bedroom which is really the only time I watch tv, going to bed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I love my Samsung 65".   I went Digital (optical) out to a Sony 7.1 receiver and works great, easy setup.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,459
    Options
    Have a 65 Samsung on the patio. Strictly streaming. Love it. Have a 75” in the den. It’s an LG NanoCell. Not disappointed in it either. Sound bar configuration. Best thing to adapt new into old is Sonos. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    You won't be disappointed with a higher end Samsung LED. And as a bonus you won't have to worry about screen burn in. And last but not least tired eye's really benefit from the higher screen brightness LED offers.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Samsung just released the 98" QLED. Only $15,000 MSRP, but I bet it will sell for less.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,518
    Options
    I replaced my 13-yr-old LG/Roku/EweTube Streaming Service this Spring with a Sony Bravia (A80K)/built-in GoogleTV/EweTube Streaming Service.  The OLED picture is beautiful, but not that much of an improvement over my 2010 LCD LG (I can see a big difference between LCD & OLED in the box store, however).  My only complaint is some software issues between GoogleTV and EweTube Streaming; I can get three different "Home" screens, depending on how I get there, and can't control it 100%.  I'm thinking about resetting the whole TV and using an AppleTV box, I just seem to get apple's stuff to work better.  Some random thoughts, below:

- Caleb on the YT channel Digital Trends does some good reviews on individual TVs; before buying a particular model I'd recommend searching to see if he's reviewed it.  I've posted one of his more tech videos below, where he gets into the weeds about RokuTV vs GoogleTV; its confusing but may be worth a watch (some good side-by-side comparisons of pic artifacts, too).

- In the video below he also compares two budget brands, HiSense and TCL.  These brands are VERY close in quality to the more expensive ones, and are worth looking at.  

- My old setup went from Roku to my receiver to my TV, and I had to turn everything on to watch, say, the news.  The new Sony gets turned on individually for news now, its internal speakers are fine for that.  To watch a bluray concert, right now I can't as my 13-yr-old receiver isn't working correctly, not sure if I can get it repaired (sigh).  

- OLED burn-in is not really an issue unless you have a channel on with a continuous banner at the bottom (like CSPAN) which doesn't apply to me.  If I pause the video I'm watching and get distracted somewhere else, the Sony puts up changing, static images until I return, so I don't worry about it.  

- An LCD TV can get a brighter picture than an OLED, but that's not an issue for me either.  My LG (LED) was set to 45% brightness, my new Sony OLED is set to 65%, and the XDR on my Macbook is set to 50% (unless I'm outdoors).  

- A lot of love for Samsung in the posts above.  One thing to be aware of: screen reflectivity.  My viewing room has windows on two sides, lots of glare issues.  My old LG, and now my Sony, have matte glass screens, while the Samsungs have totally glossy screens, with more glare issues.  You can check this easily at the box stores by getting down on a knee and looking at the reflections of the fluorescent lights in the ceiling of the store, in the TV's screen; the difference can be remarkable.  If you have a dedicated HT with no windows or lights, this isn't an issue and the glossy screen of the Samsungs and others are fine.    

Blablabla, FWIW.  I still remember the old analog broadcasts on my CRT TV, so all this newer stuff is just cake, and newer techs are already finer than my old eyesight can appreciate.  Enjoy the hunt!  

https://youtu.be/7S8hgDhipFc

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,173
    Options
    I don't know, I bought a TCL and like it. It was much cheaper and honestly I can't tell the difference between it and a friends which cost 3 times as much.
    Lots of times the image source isn't even capable of producing the definition of most modern TV's. I think after the first week, the new TV experience wears off and you won't pay attention to the extremely minor differences that may be barely noticeable between brands. I would say just get one that fits your budget, has the features you want ie. Roku, etc.  and from a supplier with a good return/warranty policy if things go south, the rest is really just minor details.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,696
    Options
    poster said:
    I don't know, I bought a TCL and like it. It was much cheaper and honestly I can't tell the difference between it and a friends which cost 3 times as much.
    Lots of times the image source isn't even capable of producing the definition of most modern TV's. I think after the first week, the new TV experience wears off and you won't pay attention to the extremely minor differences that may be barely noticeable between brands. I would say just get one that fits your budget, has the features you want ie. Roku, etc.  and from a supplier with a good return/warranty policy if things go south, the rest is really just minor details.
    I can’t tell you if I saw a particular movie in the theater, on my phone, at home, or the back of a plane seat.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Always been a Samsung fan.  Currently 82" in the living room not OLED. Very happy with it. Available now for half what I paid a few years ago lol. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,368
    Options
    There’s exactly one Samsung product I buy and it’s TVs 
    Jacksonville FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,045
    Options
    I know 2-3 years ago LG was leading the way with OLED. I checked a few days ago and it seems like LG is still that way for higher end OLED TV's. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 689
    Options
    Leaning towards an LG OLED from costco. Their return policy and warranty is great. 

Reviews on up-scaled content are good and the off-angle (needed for this room) is fantastic.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Leaning towards an LG OLED from costco. Their return policy and warranty is great. 

Reviews on up-scaled content are good and the off-angle (needed for this room) is fantastic.

Those are all good points about the OLED. Friend has one and besides a beautiful picture, it’s just comfortable on the eyes. Some TVs are just a strain to watch. I couldn’t swing the cash at the time and bought a 70” LG Nano Cell. Picture quality is good. Upscale is good. Color is natural and pretty easy on the eyes. Had to add room darkening drapes in the room because of glare. Sound is decent for a flat screen tv. Was running it through my full Denon stereo as well. But it was honestly a pain to adjust for different sources. Ended up buying a powered sound-bar and it works just as well in our room taking up much less space. I also have a sound-bar on my tv in the garage. It’s great as well. And it’s easy to Bluetooth with my phone as well.
    2 weeks after my warranty was out, my LG tv developed a green bar on the far right side. It hasn’t changed or gotten worse. Just annoying at times.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Options
    ^^^ That sucks!  

• danhoo
    Options
    Botch said:
    ^^^ That sucks!  
    Yeah
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    danhoo said:
    Botch said:
    ^^^ That sucks!  
    Yeah
    Probably a kinked zebra cable or cable connector. Figure I have a 25% chance of taking it apart, checking and reconnecting cables to fix or due no further damage. Odds go down with every Rum and Coke. So for now...I'm living with it. 
    Funny, had glitch with my LG wash machine right about the same time just out of warranty as well. Not sure if you remember that post, but my toothpick fix is still working...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    my sharp aquios is coming up on maybe 20 years now, hope it keeps going. for me i just need a dark black matte finish on the screen as light reflection bouncing of lake waves is insane.  never pick the upfront show model in the store, they set that one up to look the best and the ones with less profit they dont tune in the settings at all. they are just used car salesmen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Samsung, LG and Sony ... can't go wrong.  But I find Samsung has the best value for money.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I find LG has very nice pictures, but their UI and app performance sucks.
    NOLA
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    From an installation company owner.  For best picture look at the LG, C1 or C2 newer model series.  The motion flow and software updates make this an incredible tv.  Individual lit pixels.  Samsung has too many dead pixels per inch that is considered acceptable.  

Jjd
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I find LG has very nice pictures, but their UI and app performance sucks.
    Totally agree on the poor UI and app. On my LG, and with most, you have to buy the upper model remote to easier operation of the TV. I think it’s included with the OLED models but not all the other models.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I had an LG (Lousy Gear) once. It was crap and their warrantee service sucks. I won't allow anymore LG crap in my house.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2023
    Options
    We have LG,Panasonic (Plasma's), and Sony TVs. The Sony has great picture for every day watching. The LG (77") is the theater room TV. The Panasonic Plasmas I've had for 10plus years. They just work. It's a shame they stopped making them. I won't buy a Samsung. Too many people in my immediate circle have had them crap out after 1-2 years. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    danhoo said:

That's what we have in our theater room. It's great.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    from what I was told, LG is a revision of Goldstar.   Not sure how many are old enough to remember Goldstar but I wouldn’t wipe my you know what with their products.  Thus I have stayed away but seems like many are pleased so I may need to revisit. 

All my TVs are Samsung and Sony and never an issue.   Maybe I’m just used. To their interfaces.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Botch
    Options
    from what I was told, LG is a revision of Goldstar.   Not sure how many are old enough to remember Goldstar but I wouldn’t wipe my you know what with their products.  Thus I have stayed away but seems like many are pleased so I may need to revisit. 
    I'd be suspicious of that.  My LG was 13 years old when I replaced it, and it was still working fine then; don't think I'd even heard of goldstar back then.  

• danhoo
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'd be suspicious of that.  My LG was 13 years old when I replaced it, and it was still working fine then; don't think I'd even heard of goldstar back then.  

LG is the same Corp as what was Lucky Goldstar.