Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer Recommendations?

Options
Corv
Corv Posts: 368
I need one that's easy to clean and use and small enough so that it won't wipe out my cabinet space. It would be for my own non-commercial use, but I do prefer quality. Right now I'm slicing meat with a good Japanese knife and that works fine but what can I say... I'm getting lazy.
Thanks!
Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've had a Chef's Choice 615 for a few years and it has suited my modest needs just fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've had a Chef's Choice 615 for a few years and it has suited my modest needs just fine.
    Heavy G, bringing the reasonable recommendation that actually addresses the OPs question and described needs.  You really are the hero we don't deserve.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
     there are commercial ones out there in the under 500 dollar range, skyfood comes to mind.   if you are slicing for one sandwich cleanup is the same as slicing a 10 pound roast on most inexpensive slicers, call it 5 to 10 minutes. problem with the cheap ones is the bearing that holds the blade, it wears out in a year or two with the household residential slicers giving  different thicknesses in the slice as the blade starts to tilt.  my old maybe twenty years now tilts. fine for ham, roast beef, not so much for thin prosciutto. the more expensive ones have better bearings, more bearings, the cheap one has just one inexpensive bearing on that center. my old one was a ritter, doesnt look much different than the chef choice and probably similar in quality. if you want real quality though you need to spend more

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    IMO the cheaper ones have an inferior mechanism to adjust the cut thickness.  I have a Waring or something like that and the thickness dial will start turning if you don't keep your hand on it to hold it there.  Pretty much the problem is proportional to how much force you put on the back stop, so depends on what you're slicing. 

That said, even the cheap ones will cut thin.
    Options
    I have an Avantco 9" use regularly, zero issues doesn't take up much space ( to me) comes completely apart for cleaning 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this was the one i was looking at lately though never pulled the trigger, i can get another twenty years out of the one i have now maybe

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    this was the one i was looking at lately though never pulled the trigger, i can get another twenty years out of the one i have now maybe

That is basically the Avantco rebranded ( and a little more $) either way, a solid slicer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:

That is basically the Avantco rebranded ( and a little more $) either way, a solid slicer 

so it is, thats the one i would buy
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I would suggest checking your local Sportsman's Warehouse/Cabelas, rather than Best Buy/Wallyworld.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Heavy G, bringing the reasonable recommendation that actually addresses the OPs question and described needs.  You really are the hero we don't deserve.
    Thank you for pointing that out.  I was going to start posting my choices for meat slicers from heaviest to lightest.  My research has proven that weight is strictly proportional to price.

The OP should have told us what he was willing to pay and we could have doubled or tripled that for him.  But, @HeavyG saved the OP a ton of money!

James Franco Reaction GIF
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thank you for pointing that out.  I was going to start posting my choices for meat slicers from heaviest to lightest.  My research has proven that weight is strictly proportional to price.

The OP should have told us what he was willing to pay and we could have doubled or tripled that for him.  But, @HeavyG saved the OP a ton of money!

I go straight to the units that require 220 3 phase, then footprint in descending order, with price usually along for the ride.

If you don't build a new addition, rewire something existing, or move to an entirely new house, are you really committed to this lifestyle?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    HeavyG said:

He made the mistake of mentioning quality😁 but we know everyone wants an automatic Hobart slicer for several grand
    fukahwee maine

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    IMO the cheaper ones have an inferior mechanism to adjust the cut thickness.  I have a Waring or something like that and the thickness dial will start turning if you don't keep your hand on it to hold it there.  Pretty much the problem is proportional to how much force you put on the back stop, so depends on what you're slicing. 

That said, even the cheap ones will cut thin.

I bought an unused Waring at a garage sale and it sucked.  Gave it away.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm not an expert on the matter... but, why should that stop me from chiming in? :smiley:

I've had a plasticky Chef's Choice type of slicer that was $70-ish 10+ yrs ago. Used sparingly to slice bread, and occasionally cheese. It doesn't work well for slicing bacon. I bought a ginormous commercial 12"  slicer from @photoegg a couple of years ago, and it's awesome. Its heavy as helll, but the price was right. 

Globe has 10" slicer that some have bought for home use. If you home cure bacon, you may have to fold the belly to slice it. It's not particularly cheap at $1K+

Found this one on Amazon. Maybe good, given the high rating and number of reviews. 
    https://www.amazon.com/BESWOOD-Chromium-plated-Electric-Commercial-BESWOOD250/dp/B01AQH636Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1WMQHZ8EXS0ND&keywords=10"+meat+slicer&qid=1681345228&sprefix=10+meat+slicer,aps,113&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm not an expert on the matter... but, why should that stop me from chiming in? :smiley:

I've had a plasticky Chef's Choice type of slicer that was $70-ish 10+ yrs ago. Used sparingly to slice bread, and occasionally cheese. It doesn't work well for slicing bacon. I bought a ginormous commercial 12"  slicer from @photoegg a couple of years ago, and it's awesome. Its heavy as helll, but the price was right. 

Globe has 10" slicer that some have bought for home use. If you home cure bacon, you may have to fold the belly to slice it. It's not particularly cheap at $1K+

Found this one on Amazon. Maybe good, given the high rating and number of reviews. 
    https://www.amazon.com/BESWOOD-Chromium-plated-Electric-Commercial-BESWOOD250/dp/B01AQH636Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1WMQHZ8EXS0ND&keywords=10"+meat+slicer&qid=1681345228&sprefix=10+meat+slicer,aps,113&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Looks like the same as I and ikapigian posted
    fukahwee maine

• Corv
    Options
    Thanks for the good comments, everyone!
    To quantify some things: I'd prefer under 40 lbs, 110 V, and less than $400.
    I looked at the Beswood reviews and they are fine, it's high on my list. The Avantco is on the list but so far I haven't seen reviews of it. I'm going to pass on the Chef's Choice one due to some poor reviews, but thanks HeavyG for a well-targeted recommendation. Please keep the recommendations coming in!
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Looks like the same as I and ikapigian posted
    What?? We're expected to read the whole thread before posting now??

• Corv
    Options
    Ordered a 10" Beswood slicer.... sure like Tri-Tip sandwiches. Thanks everyone.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Langner91 said:
    HeavyG said:

He made the mistake of mentioning quality😁 but we know everyone wants an automatic Hobart slicer for several grand
    Or one could pick up a 165 lb Berkel 818 automatic slicer off of Craigslist for $300 like I did. Doesn’t quite meet the OPs requirement of minimal footprint, but it is built like a brick sh!thouse and will likely outlast me and my kids.  

i may just go buy a three way roast beef today

fukahwee maine

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Corv said:
    Ordered a 10" Beswood slicer.... sure like Tri-Tip sandwiches. Thanks everyone.
    How do you like it so far?  I am in the market....
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited June 2023
    Options
    This was 2 years ago, but I still stand behind it:

Meat Slicer Review(s) — Big Green Egg Forum (eggheadforum.com)

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Corv
    Options
    Just saw this... I like it fine. The thing is a brute. Cleaning is somewhat difficult, since there are several places where the meat touches, and a little disassembly is needed, not much. Sure cuts well, and that's what it's for. It slices any thickness I'd realistically want, from too thin to too thick, and it's easy to adjust.
    The only gripes I have are about the spot where the sliced meat lands. It's a small area and there's no cleanable tray right there to catch the meat - I might make one. I need to move the meat to a serving plate ever so often. Also, since the cut slice has to make a bend to clear the blade, crisp crust bread isn't suitable. 
    It does take a lot of room in a cupboard, and as it weighs over 30 pounds I do notice its heft when I move it around.
  • caliking
    Options
    @Corv you may have already tried something like this, but a 1/4 sheet pan snuggles up just right for my slicer. 

Re: cleaning, this bottle will likely outlast me. I think it was $10 tops. If you use the slicer often, maybe disassemble every so often, but not necessarily after every use. Pick out what meaty bits you can with a toothpick, and you should be good. 

• Corv
    Options
    Good tips, thanks. Hadn't tried the pan, but it might work.