Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer Review(s)

Kayak
Kayak Posts: 700
edited January 2021 in EggHead Forum

Model: Backyard Pro Model SL110E 10”

Seller: www.webstaurantstore.com

Price (1/27/21): $249.99 + tx free shipping

This is my first slicer, and satisfies my need for occasional use without resorting to a plastic model or a professional one costing 3x as much. At 1/5 hp, you won’t be slicing cheese, but it seems to handle meats without needing breaks and holds a consistent thickness throughout.

The body and all important parts seem to be made of solid metals.

The easily removable parts make cleaning a breeze, with one fussy area beneath the blade. Make sure you remove the sharpener; there will be bits in there.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired, although the website posts a guide to clean a meat slicer that holds a lot of info. I’m still not sure how to use the sharpener.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with it. So far I've sliced a Round Eye roast and a Turkey breast. The beef was a little easier, in that it didn't break up like turkey. I sliced the beef at around 1.5 mm thick, and it held that setting the whole way through. The turkey I cut thicker, and again, perfect from start to finish.

I recommend it over the wiggly plastic ones, and the price isn't much more then they are.

If anyone would like to add reviews of their slicer, I'm sure other's would find it valuable.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
XL with the usual accessories

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  My cheap-o slicer will "creep" on the thickness (or thinness) adjustment where you have to keep an eye on it or it will get thicker as you go.

Let's confront the elephant in the room:  will it slice 1/2" steaks?

I do have a nice commercial German food slicer at my shop.  No room in the kitchen and it weighs around 150 lbs, so I rarely use it. (technically it's a friend's, but until he returns the tools he borrowed from me 3 years ago, I'm holding this hostage - note: he can keep 'em).
    I have been eyeing a better slicer for a few weeks, so this is timely :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2021
    Avantco SL309 or SL310., I have had mine for 8-9 years now and it is still very sharp even though I have never had to sharpen it.   
    Shaves eye-of-round like butter and paper thin.

see:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1226798/new-favorite-sandwich-baltimore-pit-beef

whatever you do, avoid anything made with plastic.  They are simply not worth the money. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,350
    edited January 2021
    caliking said:

Check your local Craigslist. I purchased a 12” Berkel 818 automatic slicer for $300 from a deli that was going out of business. It does weigh 165 lbs, but I have it on a dedicated SS table in the basement.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • I once sliced some turkey so thin that I couldn’t even see it . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 819
    edited January 2021
    I once sliced some turkey so thin that I couldn’t even see it . 

I am assuming the flavor had no where to hide

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Are you Chuck Norris?
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    caliking said:

How big of one do you want?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    I was at my shop an hour ago...this thing needs to be cleaned up.  We used it for pitt beef at BC a few times 
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

Check your local Craigslist. I purchased a 12” Berkel 818 automatic slicer for $300 from a deli that was going out of business. It does weigh 165 lbs, but I have it on a dedicated SS table in the basement.
    Yep. Already on it.

There's a Berkel RE-M301 available for $250. !2" chrome blade per the seller. Might go check it out next week.

There's also a Berkel 827A for $400. haven't heard back about that one though.

You got a beast, for a steal!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,799
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Not sure. That's almost too sensible a question to ask of me =)

Currently making do with a cheapo 100W one with an 8" blade. Its only good for slicing bread, really. Figured I'd look for one with a 12" blade and 1/3hp. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,799
    I was at my shop an hour ago...this thing needs to be cleaned up.  We used it for pitt beef at BC a few times 
    That's the one that @eggcelsior brought back to life, with a bottle of baby oil and a whole lotta elbow grease.

And then, he and the baby oil were nowhere to be found for the rest of the night...

• nolaegghead
    Yep.  Guess I could do another BC and save myself the elbow grease.
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Not sure. That's almost too sensible a question to ask of me =)

Currently making do with a cheapo 100W one with an 8" blade. Its only good for slicing bread, really. Figured I'd look for one with a 12" blade and 1/3hp. 

I have a real nice Univex 12” with upgraded guard. I can dirty it up to make it look like a garage sale find if you want. But it runs smooth and it’s very clean.
    Not even a slightly low offer would be refused.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 927
    A little more expensive than the OP, but I got the Chef's Choice 672 slicer a couple of years ago and I'm really happy with it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Choice-672-Professional-Electric-Slicer/dp/B0785VBDJS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=672+slicer&qid=1611921585&sr=8-1
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • EGGjlmh said:

Uh that’s correct .  My wife tried to give me some cheap yellow mustard for it . I told her that’s bush league . “Dijon Jerry” I said to her (my wife goes by Jerry) . She said “I really should keep more of your favorites around the house “ . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 819
    EGGjlmh said:

Uh that’s correct .  My wife tried to give me some cheap yellow mustard for it . I told her that’s bush league . “Dijon Jerry” I said to her (my wife goes by Jerry) . She said “I really should keep more of your favorites around the house “ . 
    You cant eat a sandwich without dijon

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• I have a Hobart 411 I bought about 10 yrs ago that I don't use all that often, but would hate to be without. Sits right on the kitchen counter and I'm not moving it as it weighs a good 100 lbs. When the kids were still at home, it paid for itself in no time just doing sandwich meat vs buying deli stuff!
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Novice question here, will a meat slicer slice a bone in ham?
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • nolaegghead
    rifrench said:
    Novice question here, will a meat slicer slice a bone in ham?
    Nope. I'm sure there are commercial slicers that will, tho.