Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oh, boy - should have been on the OT forum...BUT a question about buying a NEW iMac

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,909
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Extended warranty!? Sucker!

I have no clue your age but suspect several decades younger than @RRP.  Once you get there you may refine your above thoughts.  FWIW-
    There is value to peace of mind and not having to once again F with the issue. 

You guys have had your macs 9-11 years we will call it 20 years combined. Did either of you have a need for a extended warranty?
    I see all you want to do is argue the point - and I do understand your dislike and HORRIBLE experience...but if - JUST IF you would have read my reply above then maybe you would having a better understanding why I choked uo $200...I said...
    I agree - this isn’t that per see, but a service contract. I already have it on my calendar to cancel it next June 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    edited June 2023
    Options
    oh, boy...another thread with Ron twist  ;)
    canuckland
  • RRP
    Options
    oh, boy...another thread with Ron twist  ;)
    huh? Amazing how someone just wants to slam me and argue without reading thru the thread to understand what I have CLEARLY said! Oh well...goodnight...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    loco_engr said:
    RRP said:

BTW I have Catalina and I am running the latest version off that which is 10.15.7 so I'm safe.

You definitely need to update to OS Ventera
    My old Mac can’t reach the Ventura expressway! Catalina was its last exit! 
    Ron,
    before you start upgrading operating systems make a list of all your programs and the versions of the programs you are running and make sure they will run on the new operating system. Also check with any scanners and printers you have and make sure they will work with new operating system. 
    Please, please make a Time Machine back up of your existing computer before you start doing anything. 
    Give a shout on Sunday or next week if I can be any help.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This ^^^. Our beloved 13yo Canon printer/scanner/copier/fax thing will not survive a computer upgrade. 

Also, the home warranty and other extended warranties (e.g. auto/car) are scammy, but not all service warranties are. Yes, the basic premise preys on some element of fear (like insurance), but some warranties can be useful for certain folks. 

I'd pay $100 to migrate my old computer to a new one, provided it was a turn-key job, and didn't involve me waiting around for someone for hours. My hourly rate is a bit higher, so I'd consider it a win. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,685
    Options
    caliking said:
    This ^^^. Our beloved 13yo Canon printer/scanner/copier/fax thing will not survive a computer upgrade. 

Also, the home warranty and other extended warranties (e.g. auto/car) are scammy, but not all service warranties are. Yes, the basic premise preys on some element of fear (like insurance), but some warranties can be useful for certain folks. 

I'd pay $100 to migrate my old computer to a new one, provided it was a turn-key job, and didn't involve me waiting around for someone for hours. My hourly rate is a bit higher, so I'd consider it a win. 

Initially I did not realize @rrp bought a manufacturers extended warranty. I was thinking it was a third party deal.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,020
    Options
    @RRP how did the migration go?  Everything OK?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    In the middle of the migration, Morpheus appeared, gave two options. . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options

Initially I did not realize @rrp bought a manufacturers extended warranty. I was thinking it was a third party deal.
    Again...this $200 spent is NOT an extended warranty. It is a 12 month service contract.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    You do you Ron. We're all busy saving money so we can have the nice retirement you already have.  Convenience has value.
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options

Glad to hear Ron! Good for you!

With BGE Tech Support, we can have you mining Bitcoin in minutes.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP how did the migration go?  Everything OK?
    John, I am planning on taking on the task Sunday afternoon. It will take me that long to get all my fingers and toes crossed!
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    RRP said:
    Dumb question I suppose, but I am not a gamer, nor streamer - just a basic user for email, research and printing. Then what possibly could next Tuesday's news be to affect me unless a price reduction???
    Yes, price reduction and/or feature increase for the same price.

I saw a few extended warrantee comments in the thread. Credit card protection programs have replaced 2 Macs for me over the past decade. AMEX is amazing when it comes to protecting you. Purchase protection covered a new MacBook Air after I clumsily dumped a pint of water onto a 2 week old one.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Honestly a Mac mini and a large monitor are the best bang for the buck imho.  Unless you are a gamer or video editor. 

• RRP
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Update: 
    In process since 12:20 this afternoon. Apple could not make this migration any easier!!!   The time issue is simply due to my massive number of files and pictures. Looks like it will take another 90 minutes or so. Only glitch was probably due to my old Mac stopping one time while we were gone and I did not realize it had happened. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options
    Good to hear, Ron; I'm looking at an eventual migration myself one of these days.  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,452
    Options
    Update please when you cross the finish-line and are convinced your objective was achieved.  Sounds great so far.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    RRP said:
    Update: 
    In process since 12:20 this afternoon. Apple could not make this migration any easier!!!   The time issue is simply due to my massive number of bank accounts. Looks like it will take another 90 minutes or so. Only glitch was probably due to my old Mac stopping one time while we were gone and I did not realize it had happened. 
    Glad it's going well!  FTFY. 😉
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,452
    Options
    RRP said:
    B I N G O !!! I am SO GLAD I bought this new Mac before my old one died!

Congratulations for jumping into the deep end and getting it done.  You give us youngsters (with a smile) hope downstream!   Impressive results. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    RRP said:
    Update: 
     The time issue is simply due to my massive number of bank accounts. 

HAR HAR HAR - I just now saw what you did! I hope that people understand this "trick" you played!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,020
    Options
    RRP said:
    B I N G O !!! I am SO GLAD I bought this new Mac before my old one died!
    Glad it all worked out, Ron!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Options
    EPILOGUE: To anyone holding off and putting up with slow speed, problems and simply having an old MAC puking frequently you should really move ahead and buy a new one! The migration was S I M P L E and without issues! You will be amazed at the speed you have been missing! I have no clue why I have waited this long to upgrade! Also I have no clue why I would sit here wasting minutes to download and surf the web! 

GET WITH IT!!! (especially to you retired farts - time is precious and you have less time to waste!!!)