Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oh, boy - should have been on the OT forum...BUT a question about buying a NEW iMac

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
After all these years my 11 year old iMac has gotten "squirrely" on me and I can no longer trust it, much less get it to work right! I intend to go to Best Buy tomorrow to buy a replacement. 

While I know some here might say I could buy one elsewhere cheaper etc etc etc I just want to be said and done! OK???

My question is...can a stupid old fart like ME REALLY do the transfer of EVERYTHING tomorrow from all this old iMac to the new one without losing important this and that???

THAT is what REALLY scares me - BUT I really have to buy a new iMac as this one is nearly DOA every day I try to fire it up!

I know I can pay Best Buy $150 to do all that - BUT is a transfer REALLY all THAT hard???
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I'm not sure the prices vary much at all, Apple seems to have price controls in place.

Check and see if there is an Apple Store in the vicinity, they should help you.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @RRP

when I had to buy my last MacBook . Wound up going to the Apple Store. Guys the guy said we can help you transfer for a fee… I just raised an eyebrow and said… I just dropped $1500 . Really gonna charge me for 5 minutes of your time when most people come in here 30 minutes kicking the tires and walk out spending nothing ?

He looked around for his boss and said you know what you’re right … why don’t you “demo this model” and in the process he transferred my files 
  • RRP
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @RRP

when I had to buy my last MacBook . Wound up going to the Apple Store. Guys the guy said we can help you transfer for a fee… I just raised an eyebrow and said… I just dropped $1500 . Really gonna charge me for 5 minutes of your time when most people come in here 30 minutes kicking the tires and walk out spending nothing ?

He looked around for his boss and said you know what you’re right … why don’t you “demo this model” and in the process he transferred my files 
    Interesting to say the least - BUT I have NO Apple store here so Best Buy is my best chance!

As for your situation - did you really just carry your old iMac in to their store with you??? or did they accomplish that after you gave them your passwords etc?

I just know I have to get this purchase done soon as I HATE that FRIGGEN spinning beach ball!!!!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    The Apple Migration Assistant makes this pretty easy to do:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh27921/10.14/mac/10.14.

Given that your Mac is so old you do need to make sure it is running at least OS X 10.6.8 or later.

If you are thinking of buying a new iMac you might want to wait a few days. Next Tuesday Apple is having their annual Apple Worldwide Developers Conference and word is they will be announcing some new Mac models.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    RRP said:
    After all these years my 11 year old iMac has gotten "squirrely" on me and I can no longer trust it, much less get it to work right! I intend to go to Best Buy tomorrow to buy a replacement. 

While I know some here might say I could buy one elsewhere cheaper etc etc etc I just want to be said and done! OK???

My question is...can a stupid old fart like ME REALLY do the transfer of EVERYTHING tomorrow from all this old iMac to the new one without losing important this and that???

THAT is what REALLY scares me - BUT I really have to buy a new iMac as this one is nearly DOA every day I try to fire it up!

I know I can pay Best Buy $150 to do all that - BUT is a transfer REALLY all THAT hard???
    do you really want everything.. when swapping out hardware, I use it as an opportunity to dispose of old files that are no longer needed..

think of this process like moving homes and getting rid of stuff you don't want to move..its a pain in the @$$, but you will be glad you did..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Ron in my experience the migration assistant that Apple has in place works pretty well.  It will let you transfer everything and in terms of your own personal files, you won't lose anything.  

The key really is to make sure that your operating system on your old iMac is as up to date as possible, as @HeavyG mentioned.  But it is very easy to use - when you are starting up the new iMac, make sure the other one is on.  During the setup of the new iMac, you will see it ask you if you want to use the migration assistant to transfer your files and settings from an existing iMac and you want to make sure to click yes on that.  After that it should really take care of the rest for you.  It might take some time but in my experience it's relatively painless and straightforward.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I used a double ended USB cord to connect the new and old iMacs a few months ago. Much faster than just using WiFi for the transfer. It still took a while though but I didn’t loose a thing this time.
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm with Billt01 on this one, 11 years of added 'stuff' is a lot to transfer over to a new Mac. I was glad that I went though all of our files and only kept what I wanted when I replaced my last one. It takes a while but a good data review is worth doing every now and then.

11 years out of an iMac is impressive you will be impressed with the new one and yes wait until Tuesday to buy.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • RRP
    Options
    AprèsSki said:
    I'm with Billt01 on this one, 11 years of added 'stuff' is a lot to transfer over to a new Mac. I was glad that I went though all of our files and only kept what I wanted when I replaced my last one. It takes a while but a good data review is worth doing every now and then.

11 years out of an iMac is impressive you will be impressed with the new one and yes wait until Tuesday to buy.
    Dumb question I suppose, but I am not a gamer, nor streamer - just a basic user for email, research and printing. Then what possibly could next Tuesday's news be to affect me unless a price reduction???
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options

Yes, Apple prices are generally controlled. Sometimes for what ever reason a big online retailer is allowed a deal. I've always used Appleinsider for guidance when making another Apple product purchase. https://prices.appleinsider.com/current-gen

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • RRP
    edited June 2023
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The Apple Migration Assistant makes this pretty easy to do:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh27921/10.14/mac/10.14.

Given that your Mac is so old you do need to make sure it is running at least OS X 10.6.8 or later.

If you are thinking of buying a new iMac you might want to wait a few days. Next Tuesday Apple is having their annual Apple Worldwide Developers Conference and word is they will be announcing some new Mac models.
    Dumb question I suppose, but I am not a gamer, nor streamer - just a basic user for email, research and printing. Then what possibly could next Tuesday's news be to affect me unless a price reduction??? 

BTW I have Catalina and I am running the latest version off that which is 10.15.7 so I'm safe.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    They might let the current model go for a discount when the new model is released.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Following this as I've only got 9 1/2 years on my iMac and intend to replace this December ay yhe 10th anniversary.  Running the same IOS as @RRP
    The spinning beach ball (aka colour (nod) wheel) can be a bit of a nuisance at times but absent anything changing I will make it to year 10. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You can also use your Time Machine back up drive to move your info to new machine.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited June 2023
    Options
    This should be easy. Do a backup on your iMac then head to Best Buy and talk to Geek Squad.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/data-backup-or-transfer-in-store/9244711.p?skuId=9244711#:~:text=With Data Backup or Transfer,until the transfer is complete.

Says its $100, not $150.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    If Ron follows the advice given here and takes this on, I will be impressed and super happy for him!  

My Dad is 82 (Older than Ron, admittedly), but I would personally pay the $150 myself if he were getting a new laptop to get his settings and information transferred.  Otherwise, I know I would have a new full-time IT job making his new computer look, work, feel, and behave just like his old computer.  One thing goes wrong, and the frustration would be worth it.  

Ron, if you have someone who can help you if it goes sideways, go for it.  If not, pay the pimply-faced kid at Best-Buy to do it.  

YMMV
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Well said @Langner91. I have around 5 fewer completed laps of the sun than @RRP but I am all about "turn-key" deals.
    I have aged beyond the"I can handle this" approach. 
    Hopefully everyone's "hour glass of life" has enough sand to enable you to assess on your own. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    Well - here I sit with a brand new iMac still in the box behind me. My credit card has $1,634.98 added to it.  I do not normally buy extended warranties for anything I buy. This time I did pop for the $200 one year service - which includes in home service etc etc and they will come out and do the transfer - IF I find the migration isn't as simple as some have said it will be. The coin flip was this $200 is good for the year, when bought at time of purchase - but if I have problems and want help then it would be a $250 charge for that single visit and NOTHING else. 

Sometimes I have a stretch of bad luck so I figure I better pop for the 1 year service and be done with it!

Now to find the time to start the migration!!!
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Extended warranty!? Sucker!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    I agree - this isn’t that per see, but a service contract. I already have it on my calendar to cancel it next June
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited June 2023
    Options
    RRP said:

BTW I have Catalina and I am running the latest version off that which is 10.15.7 so I'm safe.

You definitely need to update to OS Ventera
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    edited June 2023
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    RRP said:

You definitely need to update to OS Ventera
    My old Mac can’t reach the Ventura expressway! Catalina was its last exit! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well - here I sit with a brand new iMac still in the box behind me. My credit card has $1,634.98 added to it.  I do not normally buy extended warranties for anything I buy. This time I did pop for the $200 one year service - which includes in home service etc etc and they will come out and do the transfer - IF I find the migration isn't as simple as some have said it will be. The coin flip was this $200 is good for the year, when bought at time of purchase - but if I have problems and want help then it would be a $250 charge for that single visit and NOTHING else. 

Sometimes I have a stretch of bad luck so I figure I better pop for the 1 year service and be done with it!

Now to find the time to start the migration!!!
    Based on what you’ve posted so far today, Ron, I expect that it will go smoothly.  Let us know if you need any help.  More than a few of us here can troubleshoot.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options

I have no clue your age but suspect several decades younger than @RRP.  Once you get there you may refine your above thoughts.  FWIW-
    There is value to peace of mind and not having to once again F with the issue. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I have no clue your age but suspect several decades younger than @RRP.  Once you get there you may refine your above thoughts.  FWIW-
    I’d rather f with the issue than f with so called “extended warranty” company. Ymmv
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    edited June 2023
    Options
    lousubcap said:

You guys have had your macs 9-11 years we will call it 20 years combined. Did either of you have a need for a extended warranty?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    My mom paid so much a year for a extended warranty on her house, when something did come up on her AC she had to pay a service charge then fight with the warranty company for approval plus some stooge shows up for the repair.  For all the money she sent this company over the years she could have bought a new unit.  What they do cover, what they don't, service charges, you have to use their guy.    I says ma, put your warranty money in a savings account every month and you will have enough to hire whoever you want or just replace appliances.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @alaskanassasin - entering question-age?
    I went with a one year plan but I can still call Apple and get incredible support as recently as two months ago.  Doubt the warranty had any influence but the support was available and effective.   Don't do it with appliances.  YMMV-

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    lousubcap said:

You guys have had your macs 9-11 years we will call it 20 years combined. Did either of you have a need for a extended warranty?
    My first iMac I bought the AppleCare insurance. Three months before it expired my iMac died. Took it to the Apple store and a week later it was fixed for zero charge. They first thought it was just the video card was what needed replacing (it wasn't) but they ended up replacing everything.  So, in that case it was certainly worth it. That same iMac lived on for another seven years or so. When it died I bought a new iMac (2 years ago) but didn't opt for AppleCare this time. Even tho my decade old MacBook Air (no AppleCare was purchased) is still running fine it is too old for continued OS upgrades so I bought a new MacBook Air a few months back and didn't buy the AppleCare for that. So with all my Mac's and iPads being sans AppleCare I'm living on the edge right now. :)

The thing about Macs is that they use proprietary parts. Unlike  Windows/Linux pc's you don't have an option for third party replacement parts. If you need to replace a motherboard you have to buy from Apple. They generally don't make it easy for an individual to just buy a part so they can fix it themselves. You can often buy used parts but that can be a bit risky.

In general, I agree with the sentiment that extended warranties aren't worthwhile but for the old line of iMacs I'd buy one every time. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    When I bought my Toyota 4Runner the finance guy asked me about an extended warranty, I said nope. He asked why, I said I believe in their products quality. There’s no come back for that. 
    Jacksonville FL