Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charblox, Extruded Charcoal

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,078
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
New Costco ad has this at $45. for 2x10lbs.  Same quantity is $70. on the Charblox web site, https://charblox.com/products/charblox-ultra-premium-charcoal?variant=40805749457057
They claim this: "Burns Longer. 1LB of CHARBLOX is equivalent in burn time to about 3.5LB Average Charcoal (briquettes or lump)."  So they oddly claim the same burn time for briquettes and lump.  They have another product made from bamboo wood which is also odd, my understanding is that bamboo is a grass.
I've never used any extruded product, considering giving this a try.  Anyone have experience with this product or other extruded charcoals?

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Looks interesting, I'm not sure I'd fill an xl with it, but might be good for some applications.  The caveman pic on their website is kind of cool.  I'll bet the bamboo is pretty neutral.  Worth a shot but I'm not sure it would be an everyday for me.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I bit. Have been thinking about trying extruded charcoal for some time, and the reviews seemed good. The comparison to binchotan sounds like a stretch. We'll see.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I've used a few of the extruded charcoals over the last decade in various grills but not that Charblox. Some has been made from coconut shells, some from bamboo. I can't say I've noticed any significant difference between the two. 
    It can be tricky to light them - you really want to use a chimney. It also helps if you have a gas grill side burner that you can place the chimney on to help speed things along. I use my wok burner or my portable gas burner.

Bamboo is a grass and balsa is a hardwood - Nature is weird. :)

Nowadays I only use that stuff in my yakitori grill as they are sized right to fit in a nice layer. I don't see any real advantage to using them in a kamado or Weber kettle over regular lump or briquettes.

I've been using the Thaan brand, it's about $40 for 10 pounds. That's a good price for that Charblox and I'm going to order a few boxes myself. Thanks for posting that!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    @caliking - I bit too.  :)

Great Plains, USA
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Seems like in order to extrude it there would have to be some sort of binder, making not much different from briquettes, no?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Just a different flavour (nod) to the lump threads here.  Like religion and politics in other forums. However, should the collective find it to be worth giving a go, I am too easily sucked down a rabbit hole vortex. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    OhioEgger said:
    Seems like in order to extrude it there would have to be some sort of binder, making not much different from briquettes, no?

Their website claims no binders and says it's made from sawdust.  Maybe that gets extruded first, then kilned? 
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    The box says its made from recycled fruitwoods, but the description says 100% hardwood. Which one is it??

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    caliking said:
    The box says its made from recycled fruitwoods, but the description says 100% hardwood. Which one is it??
    Fruitwoods are hardwoods. Just as balsa is actually a hardwood. The designation of hardwood vs softwood is not related to the density of the wood.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Yup.  Does the tree have leaves (HW) or needles (SW)?

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646

It appears you can caveman on them too @lousubcap

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Extruded coconut shell lump made the rounds years ago. Groups try to revive it now and then. Two things that seem to stop the product's growth is price and consistent quality. I've never noticed appreciable extended burn times or higher temps from extruded.

Looks like here we go again......

Google, making coconut lump charcoal video, for some interesting videos.....

T    
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    CGS said:
    Extruded coconut shell lump made the rounds years ago. Groups try to revive it now and then. Two things that seem to stop the product's growth is price and consistent quality. I've never noticed appreciable extended burn times or higher temps from extruded.

T    
    Yep,
    I have tried 3 different brands of extruded coconut lump. Still have a few boxes I’m slowly burning through. No noticeable length in cook time but issues with white ash on the food. Another note…In our high humidity climate, shutting down the egg and relighting the used lump goes not work as well. The extruded falls apart and clogs airflow. Those with a ash basket will have slightly better luck.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    CGS said:

T    
    Yep,
    I have tried 3 different brands of extruded coconut lump. Still have a few boxes I’m slowly burning through. No noticeable length in cook time but issues with white ash on the food. Another note…In our high humidity climate, shutting down the egg and relighting the used lump goes not work as well. The extruded falls apart and clogs airflow. Those with a ash basket will have slightly better luck.
    Now you tell me 🤦🏿‍♂️

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Blues hog offers an extruded product too. Don’t think it’s coconut. I think it’s just the dust collected and extruded with a vegetable oil binder or something of that nature. Called Hog Logs. 😁
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    How is it packaged? Nah forget it…. LOL LOL LOL
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Forgive my ignorance here, but I thought carbon was carbon IS carbon. By weight, if we’re simply talking carbon and all other things being equal, shouldn’t it all burn about the same?

unless they’re claiming that their carbon content is 3.5x as pure, I’m always skeptical. Looks cool, though!

At least - this is MY theory for why I sift my ashes and throw the tiny bits back in.. :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• dbCooper
    It's rare for me to return  products to Costco but, 1½ boxes of this went back today.
    Disclaimer: manufacturer highly recommends using a chimney starter and I don't have one.
    My issues after two cooks:
    - Takes at least five minutes of torch time to get lit.  Minute or two is all I need with lump.
    - Heat up time at least double compared to lump.
    - Not smart enough to figure out how to effectively use wood chunks.
    - No measurements, so subjective observation... I don't believe 1 lb. of this equals 3.5 lb of lump.
    Looks like a well made product, but for me and Egg cooks, lump is the ticket.
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    Haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the feedback.

I doubt I have the patience to spend the extra time/effort to light it up, but we'll see. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    reviews seem meh from this crowd, and that was just enough for me to order some.  We will see next week.  =)