Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling Membrane

Options
55Kevy
55Kevy Posts: 234
Did some turbo babybacks yesterday. I usually take 'em out of the fridge to prep when I light the fire. Yesterday they were out 2 or 3 hours before I started prepping and so were at room temp. This was the easiest membrane I've ever removed. Usually it comes off in 2 or 3 pieces and sometimes I don't get it all. Yesterday it started easily and came off in one long pull. Was the temperature a factor or was I just lucky with the rack?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    That is about the worst part of making ribs ... normally takes a while for me to get it going .... but eventually it comes off in a couple of big pieces. I'd appreciate any tips to make this part easier.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I always tell myself it is the pig, not the puller.  Just like dates, some are easy and some require a little patience.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Membrane on for me  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Some swear it is easier by using paper towels, some swear by using catfish skinning pliers and some by just swearing!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    Options
    Paper towels all the way
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    Yes, room-temp makes a big difference.
    I usually slide a butter knife along the top of the bone (not in between bones) and instead of sliding the whole length, I'll pry the knife so it pulls the skin off, straight up.  Then slide in a bit further, pry, and repeat until you've gone the length of the bone.  Once all the way across, just pull off the two halves (paper towel if necessary).
    And as @Langner said, every once in awhile you get a rack that just won't cooperate; I've learned to just leave it on when I get one of those.  
    I need to make ribs, its been awhile.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    yes warmer temp helps as the membrane is softer.  Start with a sharp knife tip and grab with a dry paper towel. Easy peasy. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,054
    Options
    I criss-cross slash the membrane and then just leave it on.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I have been pulli8ng membranes for ever in my culinary career and i dont get the issue why so many have problems peeling it.
    I just bend the rib backwards and pull from the wide end of the rack between the 1-2 or 2-3 bone. Comes off easy peasy. 
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Easiest way? My butcher pulls them off all ribs he sells. :)
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I criss-cross slash the membrane and then just leave it on.
    ^^^If I do anything its this ,I pull membrane off only on Turn In Racks for 
    competition 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Use a paper towel one pull almost every time
    Columbus, Ohio
  • OxfordJaguar69
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky, my wife is generous and always does the pulling.  God forbid knives or paper towels, I think just a few drops of oil works best and it will keep you from suffering the embarrassment of a single pull.
    I love my eggs almost as I love my Jaguar.